prepping a vacation kit of mixed dyes...

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Zzzabeena
prepping a vacation kit of mixed dyes...

Hi,

I am going on vacation and would like to bring a little zip lock bag with contents for my favorite gloss. My questions is: Can I pre-mix the ingredients and keep them mixed for a couple of weeks, if I make sure they don't come in contact with any liquid / conditioner? Or do I need to keep them separate?

My ingredients are:

1 tsp of henna

1 tsp of indigo

1 tsp of amla

1 tsp of cassia

Zzzabeena

ACWN
Re: prepping a vacation kit of mixed dyes...

Considering indigo doesnt like acid and dye releases instantly, you would need to keep them seperate unless you want to use hot to nearly boiling water to mix it - but you'd still have amla in with the indigo, which the indigo will not agree with.

I would keep the indigo on its own and wrap it all in foil to keep it out of direct sunlight. The rest you could mix together though.

Carrie

I've never tried this. I would prefer keeping the indigo separate myself, to be safe. Since the boxed premixed dyes have their powders mixed together it must work to some degree, but who knows if it's optimal? 

So what kind of results are you getting with this gloss, by the way? How do you mix and how long do you leave it on? Got pics?  :D

Zzzabeena

Hi - thanks for your responses.

What if I used buxus instead of the indogo? Could that powder be mixed in? I have tried the gloss with both indigo and buxus, doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Carrie, the result I get is light to medium brown with a hint of red. I used to do full 2 hour henna/indigo dyes and my hair came out too dark... I want to get back to my natural color, and that seems to be doing the trick. I don't have much gray yet - but this way the grays blend in very nicely. Remains to be seen what happens when I get more gray...

I use 1 tsp each of the above and mix with plenty of conditioner. I use the mix right away and leave it in for about 1 hour. I have a photo I can share, but how do I attach?

Zzzabeena

Carrie

You can post a link to a website hosting the photo (like photobucket, imageshack, flickr etc) but not the photo itself.

Carrie

Just like indigo, buxus doesn't do well with anything acidic. Acidity doesn't really come into play until liquid is added (amla plus water is acidic but I don't think you can measure acidity of a dry substance) but I guess I'm just being overly cautious when I say I'd keep them separate. You'll probably be okay mixing all the powders.

I would love to see before and after pics if you get a chance to post them on an image hosting site and link us to them on the forum! 

Zzzabeena

Hello again, sounds like I should be leaving out the amla altogether since it doesn't seem to be doing anything good in this mix... maybe THEN I can premix the remaining ingredients :-)

I would be happy to email you a photo Carrie but since I am going on vaca I won't have the time to create an FLICKR acct or anything like that...

Zzzabeena

Carrie

I'm messaging you :)

Carrie

Here we go:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/5891339047/in/photostream

Zzzabeena

Thanks for posting Carrie!

You can sort of see the before and after in one photo... before was when I used a 50/50% henna indigo mix and left it in for 2-3 hours - you can see the results in the lower part of the hair... kinda dark. Indigo is strong stuff! The top 4-5 inches are the result of just using the gloss I described.

Zzzabeena

Carrie

I added your comment to the caption so it's clear that the gloss results are seen on the top part of the hair. Thanks for letting us see! 

Zzzabeena

Carrie,

last questions :-)

what do you think of my idea of leaving out the amla and then premixing...?

(i.e. Cassia, Henna, Indigo)?

Sabine

Carrie

It sounds fine to me, though I am not sure how it will change the color (or not). Nothing bad will happen but it could be a little lighter or redder, who knows?  I haven't seen a mix of this type that contained amla before.  Or cassia for that matter, just henna and indigo.  What is your natural color, and how much gray (if any)? 

Zzzabeena

Well I was going to leave out the amla for my next mix since that doesn't seem to be good for the indigo...? My natural color is light-medium brown with a hint of red.

Zzzabeena

Zzzabeena

Forgot to say... not much gray, just a few here and there in the front. With this mix they blend in perfectly. (I was using amla before to get some curl back into my hair... )

Carrie

so the reason for the mix is to blend in your grays? (since the color you're getting is the same as your natural color, you say?)

Did the amla help bring the curl back?