After care - oils

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nicole
After care - oils

So I've had some people (namely Somalis) tell me that they traditionally put some kind of oil on their skin after they remove the paste, and this makes the stain really dark.  They've said mehndi oil or perfumes.  Just wondering if this would actually do anything, postive or negative.  Would essential oils do anything to help the stain?

I just told them I hadn't tried it myself, so I couldn't say if it would help or not.

Thanks! 

Jen
Re: After care - oils

Well, Nicole, if you have Somali women willing to consider natural henna, you're doing something right! The Somali woman, in my area anyway, are VERY intent on black henna.

Perfumes and oils are often traditionally added to paste and do give a darker result and function as terps.

Using such oils and perfumes after is more questionable. Warmth on the skin can speed oxidation and cause the design to darken faster. Some oils that improve circulation may be said to do that, but I haven't seen it be successful. The presence of some chemicals can also speed oxidation. Unfortunately they are things that you don't really want to put on your skin like ammonia.

I guess the direct answer is probably not. You'd be better of to put safe terps IN the paste. And if your Somali ladies have something SAFE they want to put on after -I don't think its a problem. It just might not be doing any good.

Nicole
Re: After care - oils

OH yes, I've had my fair share of, "oh you don't do black....I'll just do my own" I tell them the dangers and they are like, "omg, really?  I'm never doing that again!" of course at the party I see their hands covered in black, lol.

I add oils to my paste, and that's what I was thinking, they wouldn't necessarily do anything to help the stain after application, but for those who insist on doing it, I was wondering if it would have any negative effect.

Thanks for the explanation, clear and simple, easy to pass on :)