Henna Receipe of this hennaed hair:

Wow - I LOVE this girl's hennaed hair!  It looks so natural and beautiful.  Such an inspiration.  She says her starting color is med-dark brown but her hair looks lighter to me.

http://sites.google.com/site/habioku/My-hair/hair-pics

I especially love these shades:

http://sites.google.com/site/habioku/_/rsrc/1282509962095/My-hair/hair-pics/hairthrow1.jpg

http://sites.google.com/site/habioku/My-hair/hair-pics/Haarebewegung.jpg?attredirects=0

Do you really think this look is possible on dk brown hair?  Would LOVE to replicate on my hair.  :)

It looks to me as if she had to have started with light-to-medium brown to get that shade.  If you start with what I personally consider dark brown (shades are in the eye of the beholder) you will not be able to get as much redness with pure plant dyes.  Real, unadulterated henna, cassia, amla, etc. cannot lift of lighten your natural color.  You could, however, replicate a bit of that redness if you had lots of grays/whites interspersed with your dark brown, or if you lightened your natural hair first (all of it, or sections)...and were willing to do an incredible amount of upkeep and maintenance...

Now, I read the information posted by the user you linked.  The brand she uses is premixed (the mention of henna "in dark brown" was the first give-away) and thus off-topic on this forum.  However, I will make some observations based on what information they share on their site

• if you look at the ingredients listed in each "shade", they are pretty much the same we use here:  henna, amla, indigo, cassia...if I'm interpreting the information correctly, they just develop a "recipe", mix the powders, and package them together.  If the pre-measured amounts appeal to you, then look into Ancient Sunrise "kits" which give you the convenience of packaging the powders separately so you can prepare each plant dye by itself before mixing--giving you a chance to develop optimal color from each powder AND create custom colors by varying their ratios. 
  • I worry about some of the recommendations (don't shampoo after coloring, the suggestion of adding coffee, wine, to make the color last longer...) as around this forum the consensus is that these are unnecessary steps...of course, you want to follow the instructions that come with the product you ultimately choose
  • In looking at the colors you bookmarked as your favorites, if you had light brown hair, all you'd probably need is henna (one with a medium dye-content) to achieve the reddish brown shade I see on my computer...or maybe henna with a touch of buxus (as in the cinnamon kit)...if your starting color is darker, then your results would be darker--only way to know is by testing on a bit of your own hair!

Hoping this helps,

"xyz"

Thank you XYZ for clarifying this for me.  SO confusing but I do want to try henna badly. 

I would love to ask you your opinion on something.  Here is a link to my other post:

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/2605

ACWN gave me a FANTASTIC idea in regard to using the vasoline to cover the hightlights.  :)  I'm just looking for another opinion now if my idea seems like a crazy one. 

Thanks!  :)

I think the Vaseline idea will work best if you want very big chunks or a clear separation between your bangs/fringe and the rest of your hair (which is what ACWN did).  If you want smaller lightlighted strands, I have a few other ideas for you to consider:

• henna your entire length (pure henna only--NO indigo!!!) then go to a GOOD colorist to add the highlights (2-3 different levels) on top.  Find someone who is experienced with hennaed hair so they can adjust their chemicals accordingly as the henna base will change the final result.  This would be your best bet if you want a very specific shade/amount of lights--but it'll become very expensive and hard to keep
  • if you are daring and willing to try something more subtle at home, get a "frosting" cap and some Sun-In.  Take some strands through the cap, apply Sun-In, and sit in your backyard for a few hours.  Then take out some more strands and repeat for another few hours (please use lots of sunscreen!).  Then go inside and hit your head with the blowdryer to enhance the lightening.  Depending on how dark your natural hair is, and how well Sun-In works for you, you'll end up with strands that are highlighted at different degrees.  Wash and condition.  Give yourself and your hair a day or two to rest, then apply a mix of henna/buxus/maybe a little cassia...this might not give you caramel, but it'll take you closer to toffee, which might be acceptable to you (in that one picture you posted, the girl has many different levels of highlighted strands).  I've done something similar to my sister's hair (with Sun In some times, pure lemon juice and lots of patience other times) to get redder strands on her medium dark hair, and it worked--subtle but present.

Both plans will still involve a lot of upkeep and maintenance, plus anything that lightens hair is damaging to some degree, so think very carefully about it...henna is very good for your hair, but it can only do so much if you otherwise trash it!

If I were you, I'd go for a haircut and color consultation, gather my hair clippings (my stylist thinks it's kooky/funny, she just rolls her eyes when I whip out my little plastic bag and ask for the swept hair) and tape little "experiment" bundles together (for your benefit and that of your colorist's if you decide to go that route.)  Here's a picture of the masking-taped bundles I made years ago when I was trying to make sure that henna wasn't going to make me a redhead (fat chance with almost black hair...but seeing is believing)

https://picasaweb.google.com/rodriraida/HennaIndigoHendigo#5340227464504042834

I can't emphasize enough:  NO INDIGO if there's any chance you will attempt to highlight your hair at any point.  Same thing--if you've used indigo before DO NOT try any of these ideas! 

Good luck!

Thank you for such a thorough response.  You and all the ladies on this forum are unbelievably helpful!  :)

My hair has chunky highlights (has a clear seperation).  I'm interested in this approach but I'm kind of nervous to take a full leap into henna.  I was just thinking I could put some henna strips in between the processed hair and my dk brown hair and gradually move forward with henna.

Another thought I have is to soley get henna highlights (streaks) with Celebration.  Do you know of any good pictures of this on dk brown hair?  I want some dimension and would like to cover a few grays at the same time.  :)  Oh and I have no intention of ever using indigo.  That really freaks me out.  LOL

Doing streaks with Celebration henna will be way easier than anything else I think we've suggested.  The worst that can happen is that you see minimal to no color change, because if your hair is as dark as mine, all you'll get is a flash of red in certain light and auburn strands where your grays were.  Now, that is absolutely enough of a change to thrill me (I don't want to change the brunette good looks ;-) nature assigned me, just play with and enhance them).  So I vote for your latest idea!  Streaks of henna it is!

Easiest method:  Section your hair and make many little pinwheels/mini chignons/coils (as you would do for pin curls).  See here if you don't know what I mean

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_iN8mIrFBD_o/TOHJ-Eha8XI/AAAAAAAAABQ/FhgtBjCzdxE/s1600/pin-curls_diagram.jpg

Make them much smaller than shown in the diagram, an hold them with pins.  Select the places where you want the streaks and undo those, one at a time.  Apply the henna, and re-coil/repin as you go.  Cover with plastic wrap or a shower cap.  Put a fleece or knit cap on top.  Wait 3-4 hours (again, I'm assuming that when you say "dark brown" you mean really dark chocolate brown, like Catherine Zeta-Jones' or Selena Gomez's color...very dark but not quite black) to get the maximum color deposit.  If you don't smoosh your wrap too much, you shouldn't have too much bleeding from the henna sections to the untreated ones.  Now, if you're worried that bleeding might happen and ruin your current salon highlights, as ACWN suggested, run Vaseline on the parts you want to protect (before hennaing, that is, it'll be easy as all the little "partitions" will guide you...use any small brush, even a very soft toothbrush will work, to run the Vaseline from the part up to the not-to-be hennaed hair).  At the end of the 3-4 hours, unpin everything, shampoo, condition, and admire!