Dull Hair

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jora
Dull Hair

Hi Everyone,

I need help.  I have been using Henna (purchased from this site) for over a year and a half (off and on).

I sometimes switch back and forth btwn henna and synt. dyes (dyes only on roots if I do it at all not a full head application), and with henna it's a switch btwn full head and just roots. 

Reading most of the posts on this site, most (if not all) folks that use henna always talk about how shiny their hair has become...for me, ever since I've used henna my hair has become more dull.  Not sure why that is.

My application is almost always identical.  Henna mix with apple juice...

Can anyone tell me why my hair is so dull?  Is there anything I can do to make my hair shiny?  I've even tried using shine adding products to my hair, and although it gets better it's still not great!

Thanks in advance for any info. anyone can provide. 

Love this site!

Jora

Carrie
Re: Dull Hair

Have you tried using Rainwash or something similar to remove mineral buildup in your hair? The water you shower with may have minerals that stay in your hair and can affect not only color but shine.

My other thought is about shampoo - what are you using? Sometimes I've gotten shine back after using a clarifying shampoo one time - they're too harsh to use all the time but can help now and then.

Jora

Hi Carrie,

Not sure what Rainwater/wash is.  We do have hard water where we live.  Will that be effecting shine/color?  will Rain(?) fix this?  Is it damaging/hard on hair, etc.?

I'm pretty gentle to my hair (as gentle as can be - minus the once in a blue moon hair dye on roots), and hardly ever use any heat, etc. on my hair.

I do use clarifying shampoo ONCE in a blue moon, even tried the vinegar rinse once (nothing works). 

I have also tried pretty much every shampoo possibility out there (hair soaps recommended on this site, cheaper shampoos, more expensive shampoos, shampoos with no sulfate, etc.).  I must agree I'm not very foo foo in my habits, but I would LOVE to experience the shine/color that others do with henna, indigo, etc., as much as I enjoy the health benefits it offers.

Thanks!

Jora

Jen

Henna can leave hair with mineral build up dull and even make the color drab or very dark, depending on the minerals in your water. Rainwash, or another mineral build up removing treatment, will fix this is if mineral build up is the cause. 

Carrie

Much as I like the shampoo bars, sometimes they make my hair less shiny until I clarify it again. Dilute vinegar rinses help with shine and silkiness, when I'm using shampoo bars.

Silicone-containing conditioners can add shine as well.

Rainwash is sold by Mehandi (who owns our forum). A similar product is ION Crystal Clarifying treatment sold at Sally Beauty supply. Both are about $3.

Jora

Thank you Carrie and Jen...you ladies are always very helpful and always very quick in responses to our many many questions.

I have never used either Rainwash or Ion Clarifying treatment, but sounds simple enough.

Do either cause the henna/color to rinse/strip out?  Is it safe to use on either?  Also, how long after using henna/color should one use either rainwash or the ion c. t.? 

One last question, I could not find rainwash on mehandi shop.  What do I look under for it?  (i.e. shampoos, conditioners, etc.).

I do believe that we have hard water and imagine they contain minerals.  Should either of your suggestions do not work, what other alternatives are there, or what other suggestions do you ladies have (if any)?

Many thanks!

Jora

Carrie

Rainwash is here: 

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/rainwash/index.html

I have never heard of Rainwash stripping out henna or chemical color, and I don't think there is any waiting period per se. Indigo might be touchy about it, but if you're using indigo you're not likely to feel brown tones are unwanted in the first place : )  It's cassia and henna in particular that can end up with brown tones from mineral buildup, and they are not stripped out by Rainwash.

What I've heard is that the color will appear brighter, less brownish/blackish. As far as I am aware, no users of chemical haircolor exclusively (without henna or cassia) have reported about using it. It was developed to address the problem of minerals causing unwanted dark tones on plant-dyed hair.

Jora

I just did some research on the Ion Crystal Clarifying treatment and although most reviews are positive, there are some scary ones out there.  People reporting that the acidic stuff in their damaged their hair so severely that the ONLY solution was to chop it off! 

Is there anything out there that is pure and natural that could do the same without any harmful effect?

thx,

Jen

Rainwash is pure and natural. Everything in it is natural. Pure. The top 3 ingredients are actually nutrition supplements. Then there's a bit of sugar. Some aloe. Also a bit of xanthan gum -food grade even. Natural doesn't = risk free.

The thing that gets mineral deposits out of your hair is acid. You will have to take the risk of exposing your hair to a mild acid to get mineral build up out. This is true of a home remedy, crystal clarifying treatment, rainwash, or something that you have done at the salon. 

If you're worried about damaging your hair with the acid in one of these treatments, strand test first. 

Jora

Thanks for the detailed info. and all the 'heads ups' Carrie.  I think I will first go to Sallys (close by) and see if I can get the Ion stuff you ladies recommended (since it's quicker).  If it actually works, then it prob. means it's mineral build up in my hair (hoping that will solve it) and if so, then next time I order Henna from you ladies, I will also order Rainwash (I just placed a HUGE order through your site for myself and my sisters a few weeks ago).

I will keep you ladies posted!  Thank you again (and as always)!  :)

Jora

Jora

Thanks for the detailed info. Jen. I think that I might just not go the clarifying route and just *live* with the dull hair.  I'm TOO much of a chiken to be that adventerous!  :(
Thank you again!