Vaseline

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shenna
Vaseline

What is the best way to protect the henna from water?  I always recommend coco butter.  I have had several people ask me about Vaseline?  Is that ok to use on henna?  

What else would you recommend?

Also a lot of people have asked me about getting in the ocean and the pool with henna on.  I don't have too much experience with this myself but I know it's not good for it. I always tell them to protect their henna with coco butter. How bad is water for henna?

Mani
Re: Vaseline

Chlorinated pool water will kill a henna design in no time flat.  We tell people if they MUST get into a pool or hot tub, wait until at least two days after the design was applied and coat liberally and often with a non-petroleum based, water repellant substance.  Petroleum based products tend to degrade the stain (no Vaseline, baby oil, Carmex, etc...).  Olive oil, beeswax lip balms, cocoa butter, vegetable oil, etc... will all work fine as water barriers.  We've found that if someone jumps in the pool with a brand new stain, even when coated in oil, the stain does not mature.  I have no experience with oceans, but river and lake swimming on the day after the design was applied is similar to bathing or showering.  Coat the design with water repellant substance of choice and check often to see if it needs to be reapplied.

Shenna

Thank you so much. This is a huge help.

Nicole

I've gone in the pool with the paste still on my skin, and the stain still matured.