cassia turned my hair greeen and gray!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
sydneyy
cassia turned my hair greeen and gray!

how can i fix it?? i tried using filtered water from my fridge but it didn't help. can i dye over it with chemical dye? i dont want nasty green/gray hair. i used it for a dye for my white blonde hair and it worked for the first day but the 2nd time i washed it it turned green and it keeps getting darker from there.

ACWN
Re: cassia turned my hair greeen and gray!

If it changed only after you washed it, it may be that your tap water caused it. Try washing your hair with a clarifying shampoo and a jug of distilled water. Wash it several times, this may help.

Strand test before you apply chemical dye. You should be able to but its better to test before hand to make sure nothing happens.

CCartwrightJones
admin

Filters don't remove everything from tap water.  Your city may change the water system without warning. 

Carrie

Here is a recent thread with tips for dealing with hard water mineral buildup in the hair, which is what causes these color problems with cassia sometimes:

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/137

Danmara

Yea (I'm the one from the other thread) the shower filter worked for me BUT my hair is dark- so even if there's some buildup still in there, it'll be less noticeable.

And I can say from the green stains in my tub that the filter helps somewhat with the weirdness of my tap water, but not 100%. So with your light colored hair, you might still have issues. :( It's worth a shot though. A shower filter is only like $20 at lowe's.

LaYo

Hi, the last time I used Cassia, the result was a darkening on my hair. My hands were even stained a translucent army-green.  I thought perhaps I allowed the cassia to dye-release too long.  I used room temp chamomile tea (made with filtered kichen drinking water), a splash of half-a-lemon / set for 12 hours.

For a year, I've been using henna for root touch-ups every 3 weeks, and I apply a buxus gloss when going for a temporary browner red.   I like that buxus fades - more spectrum to play with. But, I still hope to obtain the gold from Cassia. I *really* love Mehandi products.

I can only say that after 6 - 7 days the darkness faded and after 2 weeks, the darkening was completely gone - so take heart! It took a few days to come out from under my fingernails. I've never had this happen before, so it must be whatever was in the tap water. Should I use distilled water when making chamomile tea for Cassia?

We use (NSF compliant) MultiPure products for drinking and bathing.

http://www.multipureco.com/productdocumentation.htm - the cartridges for drinking water eliminates way more toxins then their shower filters, which does a good job with chlorine.  Soon, we'll be moving to a place that has a well, and will be installing an EcoPure system for the whole house - http://www.ecopurewaterproducts.com/ - the big guns.

On the topic of water, this may be of interest - http://www.flowthefilm.com/trailer

Precious water.

Jen

Using good water for the mixing and rinsing of your application isn't quite enough. If you've been washing your hair with hard water there are minerals built up in your hair. If you pretreat with a product made to remove the build up (Ion Crystal Clarifying Treatment is one) you can then go ahead with cassia without discoloration in most cases.

Always strand test when you have hard water!

andrea_au

If using the cassia just for condition and shine, will hard water still cause strange color results? or does the cassia need to be dye-released for this interaction to occur? 

Jen

That's a great question, and I'm afraid I don't have an answer. I do happen to be in possession of some clippings of mineral saturated hair. I KNOW it went way too dark with dye released cassia... I'll do some strand tests when I get a little time.