How Many Male Henna Artists?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
keltoi28
How Many Male Henna Artists?

Hi all! I'm newly getting into henna body art, still gathering supplies but should hopefully soon be trying everything out- oh, and I'm male. Are there many other male artists doing henna/indigo body art? It seems that all the artists I see are female. Thanks in advance if anyonbe wishes to reply, I'm enjoying this site very much. :-)

Maggie
Re: How Many Male Henna Artists?

There is the awesomeness that is Hennaboy out of the UK he might be amongst us here at HP I am not sure. Honestly he's the only one I know of but it's not something I keep up on either so maybe some of the other members might be of some help here. Welcome to the flock looking forward to seeing your art!

xyz

While the vast majority of henna artists are females, I've seen several males doing henna, usually at big festivals.  From what I've observed, they tend to do a lot of "ink-type" art (tribal, wings, names, celtic knots, for example) on customers (both males and females, a few kids) who do not wish to have a permanent design on their skin.  I've also seen some males do henna alongside people doing face-painting, selling piercing "hardware" (I'm not sure they were doing actual piercings right then and there), and creating henna-adorned objects, often under one very big tent, so I imagine several people with multiple artistic skills share a space and take turns doing a bit of this and a bit of that...It seemed much less specialized...so I don't know if they would consider themselves true "henna artists"...but yes, there are a few males doing henna out there. 

Malynda

Florida is home to two very good male artists:  Ron Jaffe (posts here as Muddyshoes) at Red Moon Henna and Paul Hernandez of Hennawi House.  Mark Mancuso also comes to mind - he's an artist that dabbles in henna.  I've seen a few guys who henna, and I agree that their styles have always been very "male" - beautiful, yet just a little different from what comes from a girl behind the cone and, honestly, I find it refreshing.  Historically and socially, henna has been a "girl thing" for the most part, but if you can draw, you can henna... gender check not required.  Welcome to the group!

keltoi28

Thanks for the welcomes and replies! Hoping to have some results to post in the next week or so. I have a home photo studio, so posting pics won't be an issue.  :-)

Muddyshoes

There are a few of us male henna artists around. Most of the males I've seen, except for the ones I know personally, like Mark in the UK, Paul in Florida (Henna, GAH-EEEEEEE!) , and a couple others, have been the unscrupulous guys that sell and distribute black henna. They have typically been middle-eastern and make no apologies for putting that crap on people. I've reported them as I've seen them to the Florida Dept of Health.

That being said, it's tough being a male henna artist at times.  I've had to accept that I just don't do traditional designs that well. I opt for more contemporary, tree, wood and floral type patterns, and can do north African stuff and some Arabic ok.  I pass all requests for traditional bridal stuff and even belly blessings to a couple local friends.

For me, I draw on the energies of the person and experience, and I have to "feel" in a certain space for my art to come out well. Some types of henna just don't do it for me. Yeah, I have issues. :)

Develop your own style and don't feel forced to do certain types of work if it just doesn't seem right for you. Festivals are the exception...you'll need a balance of motifs.

- Ron

juliem

My husband, a 52-year old male, is a full-time henna artist.  He works from April through October, in several states (you have to travel to make a living doing henna).  He has been doing this for about 7 years now.  He does masculine designs, feminine designs, and child-friendly designs.  You can't get any more masculine than he is.  Henna is a wonderful way for an artist to make a living - whether they are male or female.  I have a full-time federal job, and he makes more money in 7 months than I do in a whole year!  I highly encourage you to pursue this profession.

leapfrog

i, too, am a male henna artist, but, i find it easier to do the more traditional floral designs. i actually have a very hard time doing the more masculine, tribal designs. also, i'm the only male henna person i've come across in the nw. i'm definitely not saying i'm the only one, but, they are few and pretty far between. welcome to the club :)