Help?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Michele
Help?

I just colored my hair yesterday with a 50/50 mixture of Henna and Indigo.  I'm not sure I like it and also not sure if it will change color a little in a few days. (Or really how much it will change as I've read that it definitely will.)  The reason I'm not sure I like it is I'm naturally a dark brunette and this colored my hair an unnatural looking auburn.  I normally like auburn, but my gray hairs (actually white) have turned to a harsh coppery red.  It's kind of scary to think they'll stay that way.  I'm wondering if I should use just indigo on my hair now (90 minutes?) to get it to be more natural looking.

ACWN
Re: Help?

It sounds like your indigo didnt take too well. Go over your mix with us, what you did step by step from mixing to applying. Dont leave anything out. We need to know so we can help troubleshoot what happened and give you the best possible advice.

Applying indigo now for that long would give you black.

Michele

Definitely don't want black.  OK, this is what I did:

Mixed 50 grams of Mehandi Celebration Henna with lemon juice, covered bowl with plastic wrap and left in pantry for about 15 hours.

Then separately mixed 50 grams of Mehandi Indigo with distilled water.

Immediately stirred the two mixtures together and applied to hair.  Covered head with plastic shopping bags pulled tight and tied and left on for six hours.

Rinsed and washed mix out of hair.

Final step was about 18 hours ago.

Thanks for your help!  P.S.  I have short hair so that amount was just right caking it all in and on.  It was fun to play in the mud :). 

ACWN

Did you press the plastic wrap to the surface of the henna or was it over the edges of the bowl? Has to be on the surface. Also, you actually get dye release with Celebration MUCH sooner than most other hennas, even with highly acidic mixes like lemon juice. You probably had dye release at about 6 hours.

6 hours is a long time for hennigo if you're looking for brown. Indigo lasts about 3 hours and after 3 hours, the henna catches up and starts taking over the color. If you're looking for less red, you want about 2 hours.

I would give it a couple days if you can stand it, but in the mean time strand test a mix of 75/25 henna/indigo for 2 hours and an indigo gloss (indigo paste in conditioner, probably about 1 tablespoon paste to 1 cup conditioner) for 5 - 10 minutes, dont exceed 15. See how you like those. You might just need to gloss it to make it more brown.

Michele

The plastic was pressed over the edges of the bowl.  So you saying I should have put the plastic against the henna?  Yes, I realized that 15 hours was more than necessary, but I didn't get to it until then.  Did that change the henna?

I realized after reading some other forum comments today that the henna overtook the indigo.  The reason I left it on for that long was because a lock of hair test of three hours didn't cover the white hairs well.  I'm thinking I'll need to do a two-step process in the future?  (First henna alone and then indigo alone.)

I'm not sure I understand your last paragraph.  I think I'd like to try using just indigo tomorrow before I face the world.  Are you saying I could tone down what I have now by mixing one tablespoon of indigo paste into one cup of conditioner?  If so, how much of this conditioner/mix should I put on my hair, and how long should I leave it in?  Also, will I need to cover my head with plastic?  Thanks - this forum is great!

ACWN

Yes, the plastic needs to be against the henna. Air is bad for the henna, it oxdizes the dye, making it useless. 15 hours might not have hurt it given it was so acidic, but next time throw it in the fridge. You probably missed the dye release peak and with there being air trapped under the plastic wrap, it might have not been as strong as it could have been. Also, active henna dye bonds to the hair and indigo dye binds to the henna dye (not the hair). So it could have bonded to the oxidized dye and left less of it sticking to your hair, resulting in what you ended up with.

When you do your roots, remember to wash your roots with dish soap, it will help make sure its super clean, free of oil or hair product and that even the stubborn grays are open and willing to take the dye.

A two step will give you black. I would say do henna alone, then a hennigo of mostly indigo or 50/50 for a shorter period of time.

If you're going to gloss, STRAND TEST. Even a little could give you something close to black if left on too long. I suggested how long to leave it on in my last post. Do not leave it on any longer than 15 minutes (and I personally wouldnt even leave it on near that long). If it takes a single cup of conditioner to saturate your hair, then thats all you need. If you need two cups, then it would be 2 tablespoons of indigo in 2 cups.

Michele

Thanks, yes, I'll do a strand test first.  And do I need to cover my head with plastic when I do the gloss?

ACWN

Yeah. I would also recommend thickening your conditioner with corn starch or instant pudding until its about the consistency of cake frosting or a little thinner *before* you add the indigo. Conditioner melts when it gets warm and will drip.

Carrie

I agree with ACWN's advice overall ... a few additional thoughts: 

Celebration does tend to oxidize more slowly, it could take a week to reach its final color.

Agree that letting it sit for 15 hours was too long with Celebration (releases faster than some other henna batches) unless your house is super cold. Therefore the henna was weaker, most likely, giving you optimal less henna uptake.

Agree with applying henna/indigo for about 2 hours (not longer) to get brown instead of reddish. Doing this as a second step after an initial henna-only step *might* be necessary for better gray coverage, but I wouldn't assume so until you try hendigo again with better timing on both your henna dye release and your application time.

For right now, if you can't wait a week to see the final color, agree that a quick indigo gloss is a good remedy to brown it somewhat.

Michele

Thank you both for your advice.  I think I like it now.  I know - it's only a few hours later.  I guess iit's mostly that I didn't expect to get auburn hair and that I just wanted to cover the gray. But I do love auburn hair and am kind of glad now that that's what happened.   And also it's those white hairs having turned a bright copper red that are giving me pause (I didn't realize I had so many!).  I still hope they darken a little.  I'll check back with you in a week to let you know how it looks.  Thanks again!

Michele

Well, it hasn't been a week yet, but I'm liking my hair more every day.  The greys that became orange are not so strong now and are blending in better with the rest of my hair.  I have a dark auburn shiny head of hair now (yea!).  Sidenote:  it does seem my hair relaxed a little, which I read that henna can do.  I normally have a lot of body in my hair which really curls up when it's humid outside.  The body is still there but the crazy curling in the humidity has definitely calmed down.  

I just want to clarify how you suggest I do my roots, which I'm guessing I'll need to do in about three weeks (time will tell).  This is what I plan, let me know if you agree or not, plus see my questions:

1.  Mix 25 grams of henna with lemon juice to form a thick paste and cover it (not the bowl) with plastic wrap for six hours.  This lemon juice is in the fridge right now - should it be room temp for mixing?

2.  Mix 25 grams of indigo with warm water to form a paste and then add the ready henna paste to it adding more water if necessary to make a manageable paste.

3.  Apply this mix to my roots, cover it with plastic keeping my head air-tight and wait two hours.

4.  Rinse and hope my greys are covered.  If not, try doing a two-step process.  And if I do need to do the two-step, would I have to wait, or could I do it the same day (after the new henna is ready)?

I have short hair and 50/50 grams were plenty to do my full head of hair.  So I'm guessing that 25/25 will be enough (maybe more than enough) for the roots.  Thanks again for your help!

Michele

ACWN

Sounds about right. The LJ doesnt have to be room temp, but it can be. Test the henna on your palm at 6 hours. Smear some on, let sit a few minutes, then rinse off. You're looking for a distinct orange stain. If you dont have one at 6 hours, let it sit another hour and test again. If its weak, let sit another half hour.

If you want the color on your roots to be the same as it is now, you're going to need to apply it for the same amount of time. 2 hours will give you a more brown result.

Wash your roots with dish soap to make sure they take color, this will reduce the chance of you needing to do a two step.

Michele

I'm wondering if the henna in my first batch was not active enough because it had been sitting for 15 hours before I used it.  That's why I was thinking I should keep it on my head for two instead of six hours. 

ACWN

Hmm.. Well, I would go for 3 hours instead if you want more red color. You still have the same issue of it coming out more brown if you leave it on for 2 hours.

Michele

OK, I'll do three hours.  Do gray/white hairs always come out orange when doing a henndigo?

ACWN

They arent *suppose* to... usually means the indigo didnt take, I think.

Michele

Just wanted to let you know - I love my hair!!  It's a beautiful auburn color.  The orange hairs have calmed down significantly and now blend in well with the rest of my hair. I'm so happy I decided to color my hair and use henna and indigo.  Thanks again for this forum!