Buxus for lessening Red

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
RebeccaJCoda
Buxus for lessening Red

I recently colored my boyfriends hair using the Yemen light, his hair is usually dye resistent and so I wasn't too concerned in about the color being to strong (we were shooting for a coppery color) insted we ended up with an extrememly bright red (I guess his hair likes henna). I have been doing some reading on ways to tone down the red and the best option i've come across seems to be the Buxus. I was curious what the exact mixing proportions (liquid to powder ratio) for this dye is. I was also curious what the consistency goal was? Is it supposed to be kinda yogurt consistency like henna or what? I guess I am just looking for any info anyone has about Buxus and how well it works for what I am trying.... Thanks for the help...

Rebecca

Carrie
Re: Buxus for lessening Red

Are you thinking of doing buxus as a 2nd step by itself, on the hennaed hair? 15 minutes of buxus will give a brown color: 

www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php

You can mix buxus with warm water, addig it slowly and stirring until you reach a yogurt-like consistency, then use it right away. It's not as finely ground as henna usually so you may want to mix in something to make it smoother, like CMC : 

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/cmc/index.html

I never measure the liquid so I couldn't tell you how much.

RebeccaJCoda

I would be doing the Buxus as a second step by its self. I hennaed his hair Thursday night and it is still very close to Ronald McDonald red... it would be nice to keep it somewhat reddish, a cinnamon or a copper, but really at this point anything is better than fire engine red. His natural color is a dark blonde with red undertones ;his facial hair is copper which is the reason we colored his hair in the first place to try to get it to match his beard.

I have been doing some reading, what is the difference between a Buxus gloss and using Buxus as a second step?

Sorry for all the questions, but after once hair screw up i'll be lucky if I am able to convince him to let me fix it so i've got to get it right!

Carrie

A buxus gloss is just diluted buxus, so it wouldn't be as strong and probably wouldn't cancel the red quite as much. You could try that first and if it's not enough, repeat it, or do the full-strength buxus.

You can use conditioner to dilute it in, that's probably the easiest. Other options include various gels like pectin gel, xanthan gel, flaxseed gel, that you would make yourself.