Buxus Purchase - quality the same

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
ashults74
Buxus Purchase - quality the same

The following statement concerns me.  I have chemically hightlighted hair.  Is this still body art quality??

Purchase Buxus Dioica:

We regret that because of the unstable political situation, we have not been able to get buxus from our usual source.  We have an alternate buxus which has excellent dye content but is not as well sifted. We are offering it to you at a discount.  It will dye your hair beautifully, but will not rinse out of your hair as easily as our best buxus.

Carrie
Re: Buxus Purchase - quality the same

Body art quality means suitable for use in body art (strong/fresh/very fine sift) but to my knowledge, buxus has not been used for body art and therefore it wouldn't be sold as BAQ. Buxus powder is simply ground and sifted buxus, though - nothing else added.

When buxus first became available here it was a rougher sift than the henna. You can still use it just fine, and it will rinse out with conditioner. Applying buxus by itself (as a 2nd step over henna) will be a bit messier if the powder is a little chunky but otherwise it shouldn't be much of a problem. CMC is sold by Mehandi to make indigo apply more smoothly, maybe that would be worth a try with this batch of buxus as well? 

ashults74

Thanks Carrie.  I have synthetic chemicals in my hair.  I'm concerned with the reaction to buxus.  Do you think it will be okay since the henna is BAQ?

ashults74

Forgot to mention... don't want to use indigo.

Carrie

I have never heard of any chemicals reacting badly with buxus. Just do a strand test as always, to find out what ratio of henna and buxus gets the color you want. I don't anticipate any problem.