Has anyone tried the shampoo bars?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
ctrtlelova
Has anyone tried the shampoo bars?

It seems difficult to shampoo your hair with a bar. Has anyone had good results with this?

Jen
Re: Has anyone tried the shampoo bars?

It does take a second to get used to the idea of using a bar soap to wash your hair but it works great. Its all I ever use now. I don't need an addtional conditioner. I only have to wash my hair about half as often. I'm obviously biased, since I make them, but hopfully someone else will come along and give a review too!

Carrie

It's not difficult at all, you just get your hair really wet, stroke the bar down your hair "with the grain" so it doesn't tangle, and gently lather up. I like to let the lather stay on the hair for a couple minutes because more of the fat in the soap seems to get picked up by the hair that way. I definitely don't need conditioner with the bars.

Mehandi makes great shampoo bars. I love the zizy one the most but I haven't tried all of Jen's newest formulas yet.

venusfire7

Been curious too.  Just ordered some.  :)

xyz

I use the ginger-cardamon, the Ylang-Ylang, and the rosemary-sage and I like them all.  I find that I have rub the bar between my hands to lather a bit, apply to my hair, water my hair some more, and reapply for it to foam as much as I prefer it.  I let it sit for 2-3 minutes, rinse, and repeat.  The second shampoo is way more "foamy" or "sudsy" than the first.  Like others mentioned, I don't need conditioner afterwards. Sometimes I use a bit on my ends, but more as a matter of habit than of need.  Even without conditioner, my hair feels super soft and bouncy--with volume that other shampoos don't give me.  The bars last a long time too! (I buy mine from mehandi.com)

BTW--I just went camping in a remote location overseas and took a shampoo bar with me...I was very happy to know that I wasn't adding any synthetic chemicals to the river waters there.  Plus, it lathered just fine!  I was quite pleased!

DeepBlue

How can you order a bar w/ the snap-lid box? I looked through the whole list but they're all paper wrapped. I didn't see anything about adding the box, or is the box something you add at the checkout?

Jen

I'm not quite sure why, but the only place I can find the boxes is with the henna soaps here: www.mehandi.com/shop/soap/index.html 

flesh58chevy

I bought a shampoo bar a while back with my last Henna order, it gives me more volume than regular shampoo but it makes my hair really dry and I get more tangles.  I'm using it as mentioned in the thread, any suggestions?

Carrie

A dilute apple cider vinegar rinse will reduce the volume a bit but make your hair more silky, shiny and tangle-free.

Some people like to oil their hair overnight with something like virgin coconut oil prior to shampooing. Some also like to apply just a drop or 2 of oil to the ends when hair is damp after shampooing, if that is where you notice most dryness.

Jen

We also have conditioner now. Maybe that would help?

www.mehandi.com/shop/conditioner/index.html

kaymrial

I just received mine today and had to try it, and I love it.  I ordered the Zizyphus and Juniper one, after reading that Zizyphus tends to give hair a little more body.  Even after using it once, I swear I can tell the difference.  My hair is baby fine and stick straight, and has no natural bounce to it, so it was a little odd to feel it so fluffy, hehe.  Plus, I didn't have to use any conditioner, which is also a plus (as I said, my hair is very fine and it's usually not a good idea to skip that step).  It went on just fine, too; I just got my hair wet and stroked it down my hair, then lathered it up.  My hair is short, though, just past my chin in front and past my crown in the back, so I don't know it that makes a difference in my experience.

I'm definitely going to recommend it to people I know, though.  Any chance to cut synthetics out of your life is always a good thing.

Jen

So glad you like it! I also have straight fine hair, and the zizy bar is my favorite too, for all the reason you mentioned. 

Crabbyco

I would like to try the Zizy bar, but it has Juniper in it. I have a pine tree allergy.  I have reacted to some other evergreens but it has always been direct contact with the tree.

Has anyone with a evergreen allergy tried the Zizy bar?

Jen

You could also try the Lotus bar. It has "lotus powder" aka "sedr" which is a actually a combination of amla and zizyphus. It doesn't do quite as much for me as the zizy bar, but it still adds volume.

You can also buy the zizyphus by its self.  www.mehandi.com/shop/zizyphus/

arwmommy

Just tried the Rosemary/Sage bar.....it smells great, BTW, but I don't love the results.  :(  When rinsing it out, my hair felt "sticky", I don't know how else to put it.  I rinsed very well, and HAD to apply conditioner, there was no way I was getting a brush through it without it.  Now that it is dry, it is definatly fuller (a plus for most people, but not for me with my super thick hair), but the shine and silkyness that I usually have is gone.

The "stickyness" was so wierd to me.....it wasn't squeaky clean, and wasn't smooth, it was just rough and sticky in the shower.  So wierd!  I will be trying it again though, cause I just can't believe that something that smells so great and is made with such amazing ingredients doesn't give great results.  For $12 a bar, though, I am bummed.

Any thoughts???

Jen

Here's what I would try if you didn't already:

1. If you rubbed the bar into your head, that may have been too much lather for you. Try lathering up your hands and putting it in your hair that way.

2. leave the lather in for about 3 minutes before you risne.

3. Try a diluted ACV rinse like Carrie mentioned above.

4. Make sure that the bar isn't exposed to constant humidity. That can soften the bars to that they leave a sticky, gunky residue in hair. Make sure to take it out of the shower when you're done and keep it somewhere drier. Don't keep it sealed up in a box, unless your traveling either. This keeps the moiture from use in the box and has the same result as a bar left in the shower.

I sure hope that helps! Not everyone loves the shampoo bars. Lots and lots of people do, just not everyone.

arwmommy

Thanks for the response, Jen.

While it was a brand new bar, and I left the lather on for a while as mentioned in this thread, I also DID rub the bar onto my hair, and have not ever done ACV rinses-- so adjusting those things might help. 

I need to jump back over to LHC and read up on ACV rinses again  :)  I know that nothing works for everyone, but I really want to love your shampoo bars- it smells so great and is definatly in line with the no/low chemical life I am trying to move towards!!

Thanks again,

arwMommy