I am new here...please help.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
angel82
I am new here...please help.

hello eveyone. my name is angel and i am new here. i am very interested in learning all the basics to mixing henna, etc. for now, i will only be practicing on myself and friends. i have learned a lot from the website and all the forums here; however there is a few things i'm not sure of and i am afraid to mess up my first batch. any help and tips would be greatly appreciated. by the way, my first box of 100g celebration will be arriving tomorrow or the following day.

1. i am understanding that lemon juice, sugar, and henna may be the best mix; however i do not know how much of each to use or what consistancy my mixture should be before and after color release. any suggestions? also, what's the best type of sugar to use...regular, powdered, or sugar substatutes? should i sift my henna powder prior to mixing?

2. i also read that a lemon juice/sugar spritz is good to use after i finish the design to help with staining process. can anyone tell me some measurements on how to make a spritz? when should i use this spritz?

3. when freezing my henna mixture, how many ounces would you recommend freezing individually for different size designs? i am afraid to freeze too much at a time and waste a lot. and is there a certain time frame, after mixing, to freeze the left overs?

4. is wrapping my design necessary if i am not going to use the spritz? if so, what do i use to wrap it with and how and when do i wrap?

i think that's all i have for now haha. i hope it's not too much for you all. if there's is any other important info or great tips you may have for me, i will gladly accept them. thanks and have a great day.

-Angel

Mani
Re: I am new here...please help.

A good, reliable recipe is:  1/4 cup henna powder (Celebration doesn't need sifting)

1 1/2 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon  regular sugar or artificial sweetner

1 1/2 teaspoons of essential oils (tea tree and lavender are good for beginners)

Lemon Juice

Mix henna powder and lemon juice until the consistancy of thick mashed potatoes (there will probably be small lumps, this is okay).  Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm (70-80F) place for about 12 hours. 

Uncover and mix in sweet stuff and EOs.  Re-cover and let sit an additional 8-12 hours.  I hear that Celebration has a quicker dye release time, so check it earlier rather than later.  The top layer of the henna paste may be darker than the bottom and it will leave a dark orange stain on the heal of your hand when left on for about five minutes or so when it is ready.

After you have dye release, add lemon juice a little at a time until the paste is about the consistancy of stirred yogurt or thin-ish cake batter.

If you are using cones, go ahead and fill your cones and freeze them until ready for use.  If you are using a jac bottle, portion the henna out into baggies in about the amount that it takes to fill the bottle.  Then you can just thaw as needed.  You should freeze whatever you are not using as soon as possible.

If you don't live in a very dry area and you use enough sugar in your paste, you probably won't need to use a spray seal.  Wrapping the design is generally not necessary unless you need to keep the paste on for more than 4 hours or if you plan to sleep with the henna on.  You can cover the design with paper medical tape, or Mefix tape (a flexible medical tape), or you can wrap hands, feet, forearms... with toilet paper.  Make sure the henna is dry before covering.

Hope this helped!

angel82

thank you so much Mani; greatly appreciated!! i will definately try that i soon as i receive my henna powder.

barefootgirl

I like to wrap mine with an ace bandage, but first I lay down a paper towel or tissue, after its totally dry.

angel82

thanks! i will also try that.