The After Henna Wash

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
redteddy
The After Henna Wash

Ok I have been reading some conflicting henna wash instructions.  One article suggests that one should wash henna out of the hair with conditioner and then wash it out just enough to leave a bit of conditioning slime on the hair making sure not to wet hair after for 24-48 hours.  Another stresses not to use any conditioner or shampoo on hair after its washed out and also not after for 24-48 hours. Still there are other articles that say you should shampoo henna out of the hair and condition.

So what's the story? Which method of washing out henna is the best.  I figured that the washing it out with conditioner might be a good idea since it would leave the hair nice and soft but one article says 'Even a conditioner should not be used as henna itself conditions your hair. Conditioners are loaded with chemicals so do not use a conditioner after henna treatment.' 

I'm not sure what affect the 'chemicals' in a regular conditioner could possible have on henna. Its confusing to know exactly what method is correct with so much conflicting information. 

Thanks

Jen
Re: The After Henna Wash

If you're using just henna, no indigo, there's no reason NOT to use shampoo or conditioner to rinse. It can't hurt. If you ARE using indigo its best to try and rinse it all out without the help of shampoo or even conditioner. If you can wait about 24 hours until the indigo has had a chance to oxidize before a shampoo/condition its much more likely to stay put without fading.

Henna does have conditioning properties of its own, and many people don't feel they need additional conditioners. 

Ophelia

I wash mine out with shampoo ( henna mixed with cassia) and I don't condition afterwards, because I figure the cassia is conditioning my hair anyway. At this point I'm using henna/cassia mix on the roots and just cassia on the length.

Carrie

Until you shampoo, your hair is likely to feel dry, coated, strawlike, tangly and crunchy, with an itchy scalp. I always condition the henna out, shampoo after that to remove henna residue, then finish with conditioner. I would shampoo after indigo as well but some people find they fade the indigo if they do that, so they wait a day or two. But it will be an itchy day or two ;)

For regular daily maintenance, you may or may not need conditioner on hennaed hair; everyone's different.

mamaherrera
I found that I liked shampooing my scalp to get rid of henna residue, instead of finding dried stuff attached to my scalp the next day. But for sure, shampoo won't cause any fading or color loss if you do it immediately after rinsing out henna????
Jen
Not with just henna. If there's indigo in your mix the shampoo right away can cause color loss and is not recommended. No worries with just henna though!
Vegasrenie

Hi. I'm an old member recently returned and have been henna'ing for about two years -- *about* summer of 09.

I only use conditioner to rinse henna out of my hair, and because it grows so fast, I henna at least once a month, twice a month in summer.  My hair is spirally curly natural, and at nearly 60, I use henna as a conditioner as much as for covering the sparkles.

I stopped using shampoo several years ago.  I co-wash only.  I use a very cheap conditioner (CureCare) that's about $8.00 a gallon at Sally's to get all of the henna out of my hair.  It is very cleansing, and I always use a wide-tooth comb to get out all of the henna and to help the water stream through to rinse completely.  CureCare is unscented and perfect for folks who may not like fragrance. 

I use either WEN (when I'm flu$h) or Hair One (when I'm not) to wash my hair.  I'm always experimenting with different conditioners and also have found that I like Aussie Moist conditioner as a co-wash product, and always have a pump bottle of it in my shower.

So my recommendation is to use a good conditioner under a handheld shower to completely rinse the henna out.  Wait a few days for the color to oxidize and then wash as usual.  While I highly recommend co-washing I understand that a lot of people may still prefer shampoo.

chrisg

I dont really have to use anything but water to get the henna out of the hair. Like many others with curly and porous hair I feel the need for a rinse afterwards though. Either something like ACV or a conditioner, perhaps even one followed by the other. I have recently discovered a "smell-free ACV" by the way. Oak-bark extract. Works excellently!

Massageing the henna right before you rinse it out might help. This works the same way as if you steer around in the container with a mascara-brush. You make it more fluid and less gritty.

chrisg

In case someone whishes to try the oak bark extract - keep the undiluted stuff away from your clothes and your children! Sincere warning. Its a lot more acidose than ACV.