Kate Moss - smoking on the catwalk

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hennacat
admin
Kate Moss - smoking on the catwalk

The UK press has been commenting fiercly on Kate Moss's appearance at the Louis Vuitton show, where she smoked a cigarette as she walked down the catwalk. For example: www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/09/kate-moss-smokes-catwalk

Over at Huff Post there are more photos of the show and a brief analysis of it's content: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/09/louis-vuitton-fall-winter-2011-kate-moss-_n_833336.html.

The clothes and the styling of the show hark back to a time when smoking was so much more common, and aligned with *glamour* and intrigue. Marc Jacobs mentions that they tried to get this across by developing the feel of an old luxury hotel with all the "chambermaids and the affairs that go on there, the crimes and scandals. And we just wanted to reveal all the amazing creatures who passed through there".

A cigarette as an accessory - as a way of belonging to a club / an era / a tribe - does this still hold true today?

What do you think?

Jen
Re: Kate Moss - smoking on the catwalk

Smoking will never dictate the "in crowd" again. Its just too hard to look cool while huddled outside with the other two filthy smoker. Smoking is less and less socially acceptable all the time, and I don't think this will cause a slip in the other direction. If it makes a couple aspiring models pick up a cigarette... they likely would have anyway.

Cigarette as an accesory? I actually think it works here. Looking at the pictures and the description above, it looks like this show was about Noire, and an era when smoking was the norm, with a lingering haze of taboo. I think the cigarette works. And here I think the message is of an outsider, rather than of belonging.

glow worm

Well,

people can be very anti-smoking, okay with it, or simply non-plussed...  Seems to be nothing new under the sun and everything old is new again....  Tides turn and with them opinions-- for example: pro/anti vitamins, butter, milk, eggs, meat, women's rights, equality for people of color, gays, PETA, etc., etc., 

I was a smoker long ago.  Now I don't smoke and would prefer if very much if someone else doesn't actually blow smoke in my face.  As for what one chooses for herself, and for whatever reason-- it's up to her.

"I'm a model and you know what I mean,  And I do my little turn on the catwalk  Yeah on the catwalk on the catwalk yeah  I shake my little touche on the catwalk..."--Right Said Fred

shantelle143

The clothes and the styling of the show hark back to a time when smoking was so much more common, and aligned with *glamour* and intrigue.