How to moisturize?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kay Love
How to moisturize?

Can somebody please advise?

What's the best way to moisturize the length of my hair while I'm under the dryer with henna on the roots?

So, what would be especially good with heat?

I'd been using Aveda Dry Remedy, which makes my hair look real nice, but it's heavy on the dimethicone... which I hear is not so good, right? 

Thanks!!!

Jen
Re: How to moisturize?

I use just plain old olive oil with a drop of two of rosemary oil, and maybe lavender too, if I'm feeling frisky. I don't use heat with that, but I'm sure that it would love the heat.

Danmara

I use coconut oil daily as a leave-in. But I don't heat style my hair, ever. So IDK how it would work with the dryer but probably pretty well. Coconut oil is awesome.

Carrie

I've heard of people  using regular commercially available deep conditioners with heat for better penetration. Seems like a thicker one would be less runny (here's where that giant tub of hair cholesterol gets used)  :)

There are other natural methods like the Snowymoon Moisture Treatment (honey, aloe vera, conditioner) but those might be more runny. Honey itself can be quite messy even without heat but it is sure nice for adding moisture and shine to hair.

ACWN

I love using honey and conditioner. Its a drippy, gooey mess when it gets warm though. But what I do is the first time I use it (like if I havent used it in a while) is saturate my hair with the mix (about 75% conditioner, 25% honey), then wrap it up and stuff the edges with toilet paper. Let it sit an hour, then wash it out. After that, I apply while IN the shower. Wash my hair first, then apply the mix (you'd want to pin your hair up if its long), then do my shower thing. Once I'm done (about 15 minutes later or so), I rinse it out.

Silky soft hair.

Havent tried it with cholesterol though. ....Hmmmmm...

kcr

Actually, if your hair is happy with the dimethicone, go ahead and use it.

Silicones do buiild up on your hair, so it is a real good idea to clarify weekly when using them, but some peoples' hair does better with them and some peoples' hair does better without them.

My hair looks like a fright wig without silicones.  I use them.

Carrie

I use them sometimes, too.

ACWN

I use them too, I believe. I use Tresseme and sometimes use cholesterol (which is full of 'cones). My hair loves them. I've never had to use a clarifying shampoo though. Its odd, the shampoo I use (Tresseme Moisturizing) cleans my hair REALLY well. Its squeaky clean. My hair loves this brand.

Danmara

I have switched to a shampoo that doesn't have 'cones (for now) but the deep conditioners I sometimes use (Aussie or Garnier Fructisse) both have them.

cglory

Are there any deep conditioners without silicones?

Carrie

The Queen Helene cholesterol that I have doesn't contain silicones.

Lavendark

Aubrey Organics have several conditioners not containing cones. I deep treat with either the Honeysuckle Rose or Camellia about twice a month, applying the conditioner on my dry hair for 15 minutes. Then I rinse, shampoo, and condition as usual. Great stuff!

ACWN

Carrie: "The Queen Helene cholesterol that I have doesn't contain silicones."

Oop, you're right. I was thinking of mineral oil, got the two confused in my head.

ACWN (me): "Havent tried it [honey moisturizing] with cholesterol though. ....Hmmmmm..."

Ugh, DONT... I just tried this. I washed my hair, then put the mix in... while I was putting it in, I noticed that my hair felt as dry and tangled as it does after I shampoo, had a hard time combing the stuff through my hair with my fingers... left it on for about 10 minutes while I showered. Rinsed and it was like I hadnt had the stuff in my hair at all. Had to comb my normal conditioner through my hair.

Kay Love

Hey peoples, 

Thanks for the feedback!

I notice my hair doesn't do too well with the natural DIY homemade conditioners like olive oil, coconut, mashed banana, mayo, avacado, yogurt, etc...

It tends to make my hair frizzy and limp. Wondering it it's because the texture of my hair is relatively fine - do those of you who oil your hair or apply stuff outta the fridge successfully tend to have thicker stranded/coarser hair texture?

Also, to clarify, what do sillicones do and what does cholesterol do? What are the potential drawbacks of each?

Thanks you guys. Hugs. 

ACWN

Cholesterol is just a super thick conditioner. You usually apply it with heat for about 15 minutes, but I leave mine in for an hour with out heat when I use it for moisturizing and it works fine. I use the stuff for all sorts of things - glosses, in my lightening mix to protect my hair, etc.

Silicones are just an ingredient in most commercial shampoos and conditioners - I'm sure Carrie can explain it more indepth though. Some hair likes it, some hair doesnt.

Carrie

Silicones make the hair shaft smoother and shinier (temporarily). They're known for providing "slip." When I use a product containing 'cones, my hair looks great and feels silky that day but the next day it's kind of stringy and tangled. It requires a detergent-type shampoo to wash that out, at least for me.

"Cholesterol" (so-called; it's not literally cholesterol like in your blood), I don't really know specifically what it does ... since it has mineral oil in it, it would help hold moisture in the hair. Beyond that I don't know. It's nice to use for getting the mud out of your hair, or when your hair feels kind of dry and crispy in the wintertime from the dry indoor air. People use it for deep treatments with or without heat. There are probably better things to use for deep treatments but I haven't gotten into that very much.

I know what you mean about fine hair not necessarily doing so well with DIY food-based conditoners. Aloe makes my fine hair moist but kind of frizzy, as you say. Honey is similar but not as bad. Leaving virgin coconut oil in my hair overnight and then shampooing it out works okay, though.

A fine-haired person on the LHC forum recently wrote about shea butter as a leave-in. You just use the slightest bit, rub between your palms, then apply to your hair after washing (not sure if she applied to damp hair or dry - I have better luck with such things applied to damp hair).  Apparently this didn't make her hair look oily the way oils do.

Danmara

My hair is baby fine and I use coconut oil as a leave in- I apply it right after my shower when my hair is wet, just a small amount to the ends. I have used an oil and beeswax mix this way too. Unless I use too much, it doesn't look or feel oily at all- it's shiny and fluffy and feels like silk. :)

SerenityBlue

Thank you for the advice on coconut oil. I have find hair and most conditioners are too heavy for it. I have been using a touch of jojoba oil to my ends as a leave in. I apply it as you do the coconut oil Danmara, but I think the smell of the coconut would be a nice treat. I will have to see how my hair likes it.

mamaherrera

But don't they say that oil treatments and such strip hair color?  I'm a big fan of coconut oil and amla oil but now with htis beautiful henna color, I don't want to think that all my hair oil treatments will strip color

Carrie

Oil does not strip henna... nothing really does, for the most part ;-)

Crabbyco

Jojoba oil is wonderful. I put a small amount on the ends at night and wash my hair in the morning. I have a lot of baby fine hair that is always on the dry side, but heavy conditioning makes it limp and oily.