Hi to all!!! Gratefulness...new here and several questions...pregnancy henna

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
lilisweet
Hi to all!!! Gratefulness...new here and several questions...pregnancy henna

Hi guys,

My name is Lili,

I am new on the forum and I am so grateful for the information I gathered here. I pretty much taught myself everything I need to know on Henna Page. So again a million thanks for generously passing on this info.Catherine you rock!

I am from Montreal, Canada.  I have been practicing for about 5-6 months now and I am doing fairly well since I am originally a trained painter.

Henna is so magical for me, I love the spiritual side of it, the ritual of preparing the witchbrew and the social side of it. I plan on starting a business specializing in Belly Blessings (website is almost done, doing work for free or based on donations for now). I just had a daughter last year and found it was so important to share the sacredness of pregnancy and honoring the birthing process. So this seems just right for me.

You can check out my work here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenhennamontreal/5350431817/

Here is a few henna based questions:

1-When you mix your witchbrew(I don't use witchbrew for belly blessings (just lemon, sugar and terp with lavender) or just lemon juice (for belly blessings) I hear it is better to warm it up. How warm should it be (boiling I guess is too much)

2-Can you put tea in belly blessing recipe or is this bad for the baby?

3-What is the ideal setting to do a belly blessing, I find it hard finding a comfortable way to work on a pregnant woman.

4-When you sift and strain for fine lines, do you even sift and strain finely ground henna like Jamila?

I have more questions but I feel I may overwhelm you so I will wait before asking more.

Thanks in advance and nice to find you here.

Mani
Re: Hi to all!!! Gratefulness...new here and several ...

Welcome, Lili!  I don't use a "witches brew", but I can answer some of your questions.

1)  Any liquid that you add to your henna powder should not be too warm.  Room temp or lukewarm is good.  If it is too hot, it will kill the stain.

2)  I would not use caffienated tea in a belly blessing recipe, as caffiene is absorbed transdermally.  Most commercially available herbal teas should be fine, should you choose to use them in your mix.  Always make sure that your client is aware of what is in your mix, as some people have sensitivities to common herbs (chamomile is a sneaky one, people with hayfever often have skin reactions to it).

3)  Have her sit in a chair or on the couch, wherever she is most comfortable.  Place a soft blanket or shawl over her lap and work from the floor, between her knees.  Do not have her lie down, it will be uncomfortable and difficult for her to get up with the henna on and the skin will stretch and distort the design.

4)  I never sift Jamila, it is so reliably pre-sifted that it is an unnecessary step. 

lilisweet

Thanks so much Mani for your quick reply, all your advice is really helpful!

I never heard of putting  herbal teas in witchbrew, does camomille or any other herbal tea actually boost the satain or do anything else?

ladytetsu

Don't forget, whatever you're using on her belly to be safe, you should use the same for any other part of her you henna.  If you henna her hand, that hand is pregnant, too.  My pregnant henna is usally just henna, lj/water, and sugar, sometimes with lavender if momma knows it doesn't bother her.  Be aware that some pregnant ladies react bizarrely to things that smell storngly, even if they loved it BEFORE their pregnancy.  I usually bring both lav and no-lav paste, if one bothers her I can try the other.

Good luck!

Malynda

Really, all you need is lemon juice (can use it right from the fridge).  It works much better than tea, which is really just water and a little tannic acid.  You can experiment with fruit teas for acids or herbal teas for scents, but nothing beats the reliability and convenience of lemon juice.  Some people do have allergies to citrus, so like Mani said, make sure people know what is in your mix.

lilisweet

Thanks for the advice guys, the last thing I'd ever want to do is jeopardize someone's health, especially if that someone is pregnant.