short dye release?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
sailor
short dye release?

hello,

had today a issue. got a call from a client who asked if she could come today for a hennadesigne because she has tomoroww here engagement. i said yes. but my problem was that i didnt had henna already prepared.

I mixed a batch of moroccon henna because i heard this has a quick dye release. had it put on a warm radiator for 1,5/ 2 hours and mixed it with some warm lemon juice.

my question is:  has my tecnic helped the dye release a bit faster or have i reuned it?

Im thinking about this all day know. especially she paid the double then the price i asked beacause she was really happy with it.

gr sailor

estavash
Re: short dye release?

Sailor,

Without knowing the exact temperature of your radiator and without personal experience of the exact brand and lot of your henna, I'm pretty sure it would be impossible for anyone here to tell you what happened to your paste.  To avoid disappointed clients in the future, you might do well to test each batch of your henna when you cone it up.  Just do a small design on yourself in an inconspicuous area (I use my thigh) and leave it on for about 10 minutes.  Clean it off thoroughly, and take a close look at it.  The color will be light after such a short time, but if you can't see the design clearly, it means there's a problem.  (You can always leave it on longer if you have the time, in which case you should get a darker stain.)  If you're not coning it up at once, you can just dab a little paste onto your skin with a spoon instead.

Doing this little test will also tell you if you're happy with the thickness of the paste and the amount of sugar in it.  It's much easier to correct these things early, before you've put all the henna into cones and/or packaged it up for the freezer.

Good luck,

Ellen

Malynda

Heat makes dye release happen faster and it is possible that your henna stained well after 2 hours.  The problem with using heat to speed up dye release is that it makes the whole batch of henna very unstable and the staining power diminishes noticably within even a few hours.  When I make an emergency "hot mix" like this, I'll throw away what I don't use immediately because it won't stain well at all anymore.

I agree with Ellen, though.  You should have tested it before hennaing a paying client, both for dye release while making it and for its staining ability.  If you are worried, contact your client and ask if she is happy with the results.  If not, you can find a way to make it right with her.

sailor

after the client whent away i tried the henna on my self.

and after 3 hours i took the henna of and in the beginning it was light orange but the next day it turned darker. the stain did whent away after 3 days.

i contacted my client and she said that the colour did turn darker the next day and that she was really happy with it.

but what do you do if suddenly a client contacts you and you have not prepared a henna batch/

xx

estavash

Henna freezes really well.  If you mix up a larger batch, wait for dye release, and then portion it out into several heavy duty ziploc bags, you can stick them in the freezer and just pull out a bag when you need it.  I only put about 2-3 tablespoons of henna into each bag, so it thaws very quickly.

Some people put the henna into cones and then freeze it, but I sometimes end up with little pockets of liquid where air bubbles formed and the moisture crystallized, or I find that the consistency has changed and it's too late to mix anything in to fix it.  With the baggies, I can mix the henna up again before putting it in the cone.

I hope this helps,

Ellen

sailor

thanx ellen for you advise.

i have freezed henna before but i noticed that the colour of the henna gets really weak so i only use the henna for practise or candles. even if the henna has been put just for a week. i dont know why that happens to.

but i do keep it in cones. i will try to do it your way ellen. and maybe this will work.

i did had henna in the freezer when my client came but i was to afraid that the colour was bad.

so thats why i made a new batch.

xxx

Jen

I put henna in cones and freeze it as soon as its ready to use, and it doesn't harm the color at all. I've been doing it 10 years. If you take it in and out of the freezer a lot, or if its starting to poop out when you freeze it, it doesn't do so well. I've also noticed that henna paste with honey in it doesn't handle being frozen quite as well, but for the most part, its been working for me for a decade!

Maggie

I totally echo what Jen said, I've been playing with henna for 14yrs and in business 3. I always make up a full batch (1 box for me), cone it and freeze it. I rarely notice a change in texture but that's just me, perhaps make your mix slightly (very slightly) drier then you like and freeze it if you're finding condinsation a problem. This way you ALWAYS have henna to sling. I have to make a new batch as the universaty just bought 9 cones off of me yesterday and I hate having less then 3 cones ready.

Nicole

Perhaps you've frozen it before dye release?  I don't know if dye release would still occur after it thaws.

sailor

i have frozen it just the way you tell me.

let it have dye release and put it then in cones.

i have put some cones in the freezer and will see if the stain doesnt changes.

xxx