Cornstarch?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brandidibs
Cornstarch?

Someone told me to mix the indigo crystals to cornstarch with the water to make it thicker. I have not seen that anywhere else and don't want to waste the crystal. Will that work or should I stick with straight water? I obviously am new to henna and indigo... I am a facepainter trying out a new medium. I am having a blast with the henna and the indigo looks awesome! Since I paint I am assuming it won't be such a culture shock with the indigo. Any advice would be appreciated! I can't wait to go blue!

Malynda
Re: Cornstarch?

I haven't tried this and I wonder if the starch would affect the staining ability of the indigo (as it does with henna).  In any case, I recommend mixing the cornstarch with the water first, then adding the indigo (don't stir it - you don't want to aerate the indigo while trying to mix in the cornstarch).  I don't think you can avoid ruining some indigo with the experimentation process, but, hey... science!

Jen
Re: Cornstarch?

I'd love to hear how this works out for you!

Using it as the instructions say -with just water, is a lot like water color painting. You may like it like that better than thickening it!