hi friends!

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ginger
hi friends!

hi i am so happy to have found this forum! i will be a new henna head very soon. i just have a few questions and clarifications.  i hope to place my order tomorrow!

I am a level 6-ish light auburn brunette..light to medium brown roots now with sorta golden orangy highlights from previous (chemical-ugh...) colours which have faded..

my goal is to minimize tone down my already brassy orange tones, which are in most of the length in my hair, not the 1.5 inch in roots.. for me i  love auburn and red and golden brown:::

if im reading everything correctly i should order Yemen Henna, and Buxus. is this all i need to try to meet my above goal?

possibly i should not do 50-50, but maybe 60/40 henna:buxus? to give more red? yes ill be doing a strand test for sure. will 50-50 give a golden brown? i just want to make sure it has some red in it!

will buxus darken hair, or will it just tone the red orange tones?

cheers!

Ginger
Re: hi friends!

also, is the henna with the highest dye content = less orange?

i mentioned the Yemen, but perhaps i should order the celebration??

Jen

Yes, higher dye content does mean less orange, however it does have a orange tinge the first few days while the dye oxidizes, but it does go away.

Celebration will give a darker result that Yemen, and I must say it has a nicer texture too. You may not even need the buxus to get the color you wan't. Celebration might just be dark enough, however, I'd also suggest that have the buxus on hand in case you need it. Buxus can be used as a second step to calm any remaining orange tones if necessary.

Ginger

thanks jen ill order the celebration and buxus

ive seen so many posts on how long to leave it on. anywhere from 1-8 hours. why the range?  help<?>

ACWN

Part of the color you get has to do with the time you leave it on as well as the dye content. The less time you leave it on, the more orange it will be. The more time you leave it on, the darker and more red it will be.

Ginger

i ordered the Yemen, very excited, anxious, nervous..

now im reading about the two step process. henna first. then mix up buxus and apply for 20 minutes? could i do the henna first to see how i like it? then do buxus if it is too orange- red

ACWN

Certainly, but remember that it takes at least a week for henna to settle in its final color. NEVER judge the color by what you get the day you rinse. If you apply the henna for at least 4 hours, you shouldnt have orange for more than 24 hours if at all.

But if by the end of the week you still find its too orange, you can either reapply the henna and wait again, or you can apply a henna gloss (a couple tablespoons of henna in a cup of conditioner) for about an hour, then the buxus.

Ginger

so the bright orange red, does that only happen when folks leave it in for less than 4 hours, or buy lower dye content?

id rather not use buxus, i dont want to be too dark!!

ACWN

Both, though 3 hours is a good starter time but I always recommend at least 4 if you're trying to avoid orange.

Lower dye content hennas tend to stick to the orange side of things, medium dye content hennas stick to the more red huges, while high dye content hennas will go more brown (auburn). But if you leave a medium or high dye content henna for a short period of time, its likely to show up kinda orange - though typically you need to mix in cassia for a permanent orange shade cause its likely to oxidize to a light auburn color. 4 hours with yemen should skip the orange stage entirely, but dont freak out if you have some orange in the first 24 - 48 hours.

Remember that the color of your hair and its condition has a lot to do with it too. The lighter your hair, the lighter the result. The darker your hair, the darker the result. Now, if your hair is chemically treated or damaged, it tends to soak up more dye than virgin hair would. But if your hair was bleached to blond, you'll have a bit of a hard time getting beyond the orange/copper stage. Just a note too, if your hair were severely damaged, it might not pick up any color at all because theres nothing there for it to bond to - just something to keep in mind and to share with the class.

Carrie

My henna is always Day-Glo fluorescent for the first day or two. Even Yemen, and even left on for longer than 4 hours. I haven't tried anything with a higher dye content than Yemen yet. Yemen's fluorescent color is deeper (redder) than others with less dye, but I still get supernatural looking hair for a day or two on my lighter hair (blonde and gray).

Ginger

i cant thank you guys enough! xoxox

i am going to skip the buxus!

i have very golden (level 6) warm warm golden brown hair, very good condition only slightly dry due to living at 8500 feet in the mountains.

im just going to do Yemen- lemon juice---and I HOPE JOJOBA OIL WILL BE <<OK>>-- and let sit overnight, then apply for 4 hours.

i already ordered the buxus, but i guess i wont need it afterall, i feel better just having it..i have no idea how i will look auburn but i think it will be awesome

ACWN

Leave the oil out until AFTER you henna your hair. Oil can inhibit dye uptake. I do suggest though that if you use lemon juice to use mostly distilled with a good splash of LJ, or 50/50. Why? Because you mentioned your hair is already a little on the dry side. Lemon juice can be kinda harsh on the hair.

You'll still get excellent dye release, it just will be a little faster.

Ginger
yemen vs. jamila FIRST TIMER

hi, i hope i ordered the correct henna! the Yemen is on its way. i have light brown golden dark blondish hair..