Orange Hair for a Family Event?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Too Red
Orange Hair for a Family Event?

I tried to do this right, and it has backfired bigtime.

I am switching from chemical dyes due to a severe diamine allergy. Natural hair color is iron gray, with three white hairs for every 10 gray/brown, and more white near my face/hairline. Color using chemical dyes for fifteen years is medium brown with blond highlights. Preparing for three really important family events, I asked for a referral to a local expert in henna and indigo, and went to a salon. Results from my time there yesterday: white close to my face and all new roots is bright ORANGE, like a crayola crayon orange - not an auburn - , with my previously dyed hair bright auburn. I am guessing there was no indigo used at all.  My entire family is pretty upset with me. 

The suggestion of my salon expert was that I return every two weeks for the next six weeks, and she will reapply henna to darken the color. As hard as I've tried - saying what I wanted over and over, and using a color chart to make sure my expectations were clear, I think there is a disconnect: I want to go back to something as close to where I was as possible. If that isn't possible, I'd be happy with plain old medium dark brown, as long as there is no red! (not so good with my skin tone)

I am a bit desperate. Does anyone have any suggestions? Both long and short term.  I am short on time:  my events are tomorrow night, and this weekend.

Too Red

ACWN
Re: Orange Hair for a Family Event?

I already replied to this on the old forum. The only other option is to go back to the salon, or another one that does henna, and have them reapply. If you go into the salon that did it the first time and complain that the result you have now is NOT what you wanted, they're suppose to fix it at no charge to you. However, it is understandable that you wouldnt want to go back. If you find another, point out the color you have now and be very clear about your disappointment in the results. Tell them you're there because you didnt want to go back to the place that messed your hair up. They will understand and will hopefully do everything they can to fix your hair to make you happy to have a repeat customer.

Carrie

I wonder why the "expert" thinks you need to wait 2 weeks before you reapply? Maybe what she's using isn't pure plant dyes, because you should be able to reapply right away to correct this.

I agree that she may not have used indigo. Or if she did, it didn't work (poor technique perhaps, or dye-resistant gray). 

Too Red

Thanks for this advice - I would like to go somewhere else, but this is a teeny weeny state, and as far as I know, this is the only salon that specializes in these ancient techniques.  I think I was pretty clear with my 'expert'; she gave me orange hair, and when she saw I was unhappy, had only the 'come back every two weeks for more of the same' solution.  I paid her, as she had done work for me, and regardless of results, that is how I do  things. 

So, I will suck it up tomorrow evening, and go orange, and hope that someone on Mehandi.com or the Tapdancing Lizard can suggest a product I can rush ship here that I can use to at least tone things down.  I think in your earlier post you suggested an indigo gloss?  I think I could do that - and reading some of your other posts, I think I will use distilled water, too, just to be sure.

Thanks again - I am truly grateful for your response.

Too Red

Danmara

It's not that hard to do yourself...I'd recommend it from now on. :)

As for your family, if they don't understand "I went to a salon and they did not do what I asked and f*cked up my hair" that's THEIR problem not yours. They should not be upset with you. If they are, it's their problem. It's not like you intentionally dyed it lime green. So tell them to shut it. :) It's not the end of the world.

ACWN

Oh but if it were only that easy all the time, Danmara..... but you do make a good point.

mariah

I am sort of new to this wonderful process too...however, I did go "too red" the first time and the indigo gloss was a wonderuful 'save'...best of luck!

Cheryl_hiccups

I am wondering if we know of anyone having success masking red with something like the Roux Fanciful rinses? I was thinking that might be a good atleternative in a situation like this, because Too Red would be able to get a hold of it quickly. Though this is an uneducated suggestion on my part. (Meaning: I don't have any personal experience.) A nice chocolate brown might really tone down the red...

Anyone?

Danmara

It'd be worth a try if she's not allergic (she's switching to henna because she's severely allergic to chemical dyes...otherwise I'd have just said "dye over it with brown")

whichypoohs

My hair is gray and very very long. I was a Henna girl then made the mistake of chemically dying at the Salon.

I have just bleached the poision out and have HENNA in my hair - wonderful.

You have to learn to love the colour. I find if I mix with just water I get a softer result - still vibrant but softer.

I intend to put a few blonde highlights into my hair to tone the vibrancy down (highlights/lowlights don't have to touch the scalp).

Henna doesn't frighten me because I know I can do anything with it.

I don't know if it's  good to reaply. I've never done that I simply do the root-line when they grays appear (about every 2 weeks).

Cheryl_hiccups

I don't speak ingredient-ese, but here are the ingredients in Roux FanciFul Chocolate Kiss:

Water Aqua , Hexylene Glycol , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Stearalkonium Chloride , Octoxynol-1 , Benzyl Alcohol , Tartaric Acid , Coumarin , Geraniol , Fragrance Parfum , Direct Black 51 , Acid Violet 43 CI 30730 , Acid Orange 24 , Direct Red 80

HTH. If the ingredients look okay, maybe do a patch test somewhere inconspicuous?

kcr

I think the Roux stuff would be safer than anything else, and the first thing I would try.

ziddy

maybe the stylist wanted you to let the color oxidize before applying again?

in the meantime, if you really need to fix things for tomorrow....do you have a sally's beauty around? maybe just a color rinse like this that lasts a couple of shampoos (no amminoa/peroxide) or even the root touchup crayons at your roots can tone down the orange for your event. if possible, do a test strand with things first, since results are different for everyone.

eta;just read the other replies and see someone else mentioned the rinse idea already... great minds think alike!

Too Red
Re: Orange Hair - issue resolved!

So, here's how things played out.

First of all, the color did darken a bit.  The white around my face that grabbed the henna and turned Crayola Orange toned down a bit over the next four days.  For the event that evening, I needed a quick fix.  My husband is an artist, and took out his green pastels.  We made powder with them - rubbing them over paper until powder appears - it doesn't take much - and I experimented until I found the right green.  I rubbed that into the hairline, darkening the orange to auburn and brown.  It made it possible for me to go out looking and feeling normal. 

I had some great advice here in the Forum, and also from Maureen who owns an all natural salon in Rockville MD.  (who, I should add, offered to fit me into her schedule for a rescue if I had no other options) I ordered an Ancient Sunrise kit from Mehandi on the advice of the woman who responded to my emails, and when it arrived, tried four strand tests.  Each one stayed fairly red.  So I did one with just indigo for 15 minutes - and that was it!  Tonight, I am again a brunette - darker than I have been, but it's okay.  I have some auburn at the roots, and a 'fall' or two of auburn amid the brown.  That feels nice.  Some of the hair close to my face is a cool dark brown, different than the rest.  I think this hair is heat damaged.  If it doesn't turn brown in a day or so, I'll try a bit of henna on it, and see if it warms up a bit. 

The funny thing was, as awkward as I felt being bright auburn, my husband finally told me he liked it!  Maybe over time I can try to work up to a current of auburn in the brown. 

Now when those roots come in - bright white - I guess I'll go for Light Brunette, and if it comes out too red, I know what to do!

Everyone, thanks so much for writing in response.  Each comment helped me calm down and think positively.  You all helped so much.

No Longer Too Red

Danmara

Oh, what you did with the pastels was GENIUS!!!!! Really glad it worked out for you!