Heating Henna powder prior to making paste?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
AgnesAnne
Heating Henna powder prior to making paste?

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if heating henna powder prior to making paste would damage it or change it's dye release? I would like to heat it long enough to kill off any bacteria or fungus that is often found in natural uncooked products- for example, pepper.

I recently did henna for someone with hair loss related to chemotherapy. She would like to do it again, but by that time in her chemo treatment she may be neutropenic and need to avoid uncooked foods, plants and flowers etc.

Heat treating or cooking with spices makes them safe. I was wondering if heating the henna would work too.

Thanks-

Gail

by the way- I've had fun doing henna for all sorts of people, but I've never seen anyone glow the way this woman did- she felt beautiful for the first time in months- I'll never forget it.

ladytetsu
Re: Heating Henna powder prior to making paste?

heating henna can kill it.  It's naturally antifungal, but I don't know how effective it is dry at staying un-oogy, but I've yet to smell an off-bag after years and years in storage.  CCJ might be able to answer better, but I think you're probably safe, especially if you use an antifungal EO like Tea Tree.  Me =/= expert.

Jen
Re: Heating Henna powder prior to making paste?

Those kinda nasties need moisture to grow. The sealed packages keep moisture out. No worries. You may find the information on the page about the therapeutic henna kit helpful.

www.mehandi.com/shop/therapeutic/index.html

Also keep in mind that we have our hennas independently lab tested!

AgnesAnne
Update Re: Heating Henna powder prior to making paste?

Just an update

I tried several cocotions and only had a very faint stain from one of them.

Although henna would have no more "oogies" than say herbs or black pepper, patients with a low neutrophil count would not be able to use henna. No fresh fruit, leafy greens- anything that cannot be washed well or cooked first..... they don't have the means to handle those bugs like we can.

Although- hmmm I wonder if the acidity of the lemon jiuce is enough to kill them?

Anyway. I'll save my henna for those folks whose white count and ANC are in the safe zone.

Thanks for the help!

Gail

ladytetsu
Re: Update Re: Heating Henna powder prior to making paste?

Agnes, you're wise to be careful with people who have medical issues - but consider this, too - as long as the skin is intact, the outer layer that the henna dyes is a dead barrier to entry.  They need to avoid ingesting or otherwise introducing cooties inside - but even a chemo patient has all sorts of flora on their skin and up their nose and elsewhere. . .