cassia dye release time with chamomile tea

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
toffee
cassia dye release time with chamomile tea

I'm sure there is an answer to this somewhere on the forum however couldn't pin it down. If using cooled chamomile tea as vehicle for cassia how long should it sit for dye release. i have been letting it sit for approx 12hours room temp, but think i may have read that this is too long.thanks

Carrie
Re: cassia dye release time with chamomile tea

With cassia, I can't recall if I have ever used cold tea - I have used cold tea with henna, letting it sit maybe 4-8 hours. With henna you can test for dye release on your palm but you can't see cassia dye on your skin so there isn't a way to test it.

I have used warm chamomile tea with cassia and let it sit for 3-6 hours, but 12 hours probably didn't hurt with cool  tea. Its dye is pretty weak at best. Are you using cassia by itself to dye white hair? If it's part of a mix with other dyes you may not notice the difference between a weak batch and a strong batch of cassia :)

toffee
Re: cassia dye release time with chamomile tea

i do a 80%mix of cassia to 20% henna. I mix the henna separately , have previously used chamomile tea, but this time have mixed with lemon juice and have frozen. I do the cassia  with the cooled chamomile  leave for 12hrs room temp and then add the defrosted henna.I have approx 30% grey and have done this mix(without lemon juice ) monthly for approx 5 applications and have been pleased with the results.