Tea Tree oil???

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Crabbyco
Tea Tree oil???

Does tea tree oil do anything when you add it to henna to color your hair?

ACWN
Re: Tea Tree oil???

----

Mani

Tea tree oil will change the smell of your hennaed hair for a while after you first do it, less herby more essential oil-y.  It will also make the henna feel cooler on the scalp, a bit tingley.  Those of us who also use henna for body art add tea tree (and other EOs) to help make more dye available, so it may color your hair a bit darker.  I personally notice a difference in color between henna with oils and henna without on my hair.  Some people are sensitive to essential oils in their henna for hair and it gives them headache, so that is something to be mindful of.  I use up my leftover body art henna in my hair (my mix is usually at least1/2 body art henna and 1/2 plain henna and lemon juice), so it has a good dose of tea tree and lavender oil in it.  The color always takes beautifully and I personally have never had a problem with it.

Carrie

While fixed oils (like olive oil, coconut oil, etc) can block uptake, essential oils are volatile and will not. Tea tree oil is an essential oil.

As Mani says, EOs with high monoterpene alcohol content ("terps") help with stain in body art but hair takes up henna so easily, essential oils are not usually needed or particularly desirable in hennaing hair. Headaches can be a problem, as she mentions.

more about terps:

http://www.hennapage.com/henna/how/terp.html

essentialoils

Tea tree oil contains consituents called terpenoids, which have been found to have antiseptic and antifungal activity. The compound terpinen-4-ol is the most abundant and is thought to be responsible for most of tea tree oil's antimicrobial activity.

[edited to remove commercial link]

Crabbyco

Thank you for the info. I did my first henna treatment this weekend and had no problem with color! I will add Tea Tree oil next time for the scent. My Mom said I smelled earthy!!! Haha Better than toxic.