Can you screw up a gloss?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vader
Can you screw up a gloss?

Hey All:

I cup conditioner, 1TBS Henna and 1TBS Indigo . . . Does anyone have a story to tell about glosses?  I'm a little chicken to do a all over henna at this time so I believe a gloss is my next best bet.

I just tried a test and I don't think my henna dye released properly.  I made it at 7AM and by 7PM it just looked the same colour all the way through.  Not like the pictures on the website.  I mixed with Lemon Juice.

Any thoughts?  I can't tell on my hair where I put the gloss.  Thanks once again!

Carrie
Re: Can you screw up a gloss?

So instead of mixing the powders into the conditioner, you prepared henna paste first? When you say the paste was the same color all the way through, what color was it? 

Whenever I prepare henna paste, I test it on my palm before using it so I know it's got active, available dye.

You say you couldn't tell where you put the gloss. What color hair did you put this gloss on? The gloss mix you describe would give a blonde to light brown dye on lighter (light blonde to white) hair. How long did you leave it on your hair? 

Vader

Hi:

Yes, I prepared the Henna first and then add the indigo to the henna then added the mix to the conditioner (I added the indigo right before application).  I've tried looking at my hair this morning and it seems to have blended really well and I think I see my gray roots a much lighter brown.  My hair is brown (light to medium) with LOTS of grey roots some reddish from chemical dyes.  I'm really not looking for a specific coulour of brown just something natural looking - medium brown with a little red is fine, I just don't want black.  I have fair skin and blue eyes so black would look rather harsh.  Elvira type thing . . . not my thing!  I always wonder how Courtney Cox pulls of the super dark hair with out looking like Elvira.  Sorry I  . . . ramble!   

The paste when I kept checking it for release was just a darker green brown colour all the way through.  No colour change underneath when moved with a spoon.  Oh . . . I left it on for about 25Min.  

When you check on your hand, how long do you leave it on?  Then I'm assuming you wipe it away and hope to see some stain?

Thanks so much for your help - I'm super excited to try this all over but still am a little chicken.  Should I just go for it?

Carrie

I leave it on my skin for 1 minute. Ideally you get a bright orange stain in 1 minute. If no stain, I try again and leave it on for 5 minutes. But you should definitely see a stain by 5 minutes.

Very light brown on your gray roots is exactly what this type of gloss is meant to do. You could leave it on for an hour, though some were leaving it for just 30 minutes.