Dull cassia results

2 replies [Last post]
rubens

I have henned my hair for the last few months and have had excellent results (consequently there has been a henna convert craze amongst my friends that is threatening to take over the town...).  My hair is a dark blonde colour with light blonde streaks which henned to the perfect shade of copper red.  Recently I did a cassia treatment to my hair and my fathers (which is grey blonde).  It was a disaster - my beautiful henned hair turned a very dull brown red - no sparkle or shine and my hair felt stiff and dry for days when it is normally glossy and healthy.  Ditto for my father.  What is going on???  I did an overall henna to repair the damage and it worked - although it was a little darker.  So, seeing as I have half a kilo of cassia in my fridge, last week I tried cassied again, thinking perhaps I stuffed something up with the release process - the same results but worse.  I followed the instructions to the T - this time using mandarin juice and letting it dye release for twelve hours.  I noticed both times that the cassia mixed to a very dark brown paste - dramatically different from the green henna.  I have had a look at the forum and see that some people mentioned hard water as a possible culprit.  I cassied my hair in two separate places - when I did my fathers and my hair it was with creek water and when I did my hair the second time it was in Sydney which has supposedly soft water.  I was actually wondering if the cassia I bought could possibly be buxus by mistake (although it says cassia on the packet) - since the effect seems to be like putting a dull grey blue over normally shiny bright red henna.... Other than the colour, the thing I am wondering about is why it has turned my hair so dull - the opposite effect to what I was after...

Any ideas????  

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.