Being a woman

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
hennakatrin
admin
Being a woman

I found this today and wanted to share - think about  your monthly period.
Nancy Muller talks about women's sanitary-pads on Tedx:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12ii9sPaX1w

Have you ever thought about how normal it is for us to have this stuff. And how self-evident it is for us to go to shop and choose between different brands, and maybe even between different eco-drands.

Could you imagine life without these products? No sanitary-pads what so ever. No chance to choose.
Only pure cotton if you were lucky enough to have friends or acquaintances working in medical-sphere because cotton and cheese-cloth were highly deficit products.
Or as a sign of progress and openness to Capitalism - sanitary-pads or tampons that didn't absorb very well and much and missed clue-stripe. And were even more highly-deficit and therefore desirable than cotton...

Did you know that for a quite a while sanitary-pads were made of left-overs of cotton-production? I don't know what is now... And there has been dilemma wether to use these left-over stuff for feeding animals or for something else. But because it was far too poisonous to feed it to animals and still to not to waste anything left-overs were used for sanitary-pads.
Did you know that with the new technologies that make sanitary-pads more absorbent women tend to change them less as 'it is not leaking yet' and the result is a lot of gynecological problems (from candida to anykind of disorders)?
And that a lots of women take pills because 'it stops my period and I am happy without bleeding'. Or choose Depo-Provera...
Being a woman with a regular period is not comfortable. And having a period, mentioning and accepting it is still... taboo. The idea of impurity of that period is so deeply in society so instead of being proud and taking your bleeding as a signs of fertility it is more a subject of discomfort, ashame, being outcast...

Just some thoughts that cought me while listening this presentation.:)

xyz
Re: Being a woman

I replied before I had watched the video...so I deleted my comments as I realized they were non-sequitur. 

Maggie

What an interesting video! Thank you for the share. Now a few things that came to mind although none that actually help with the target of PATH.

A) Studies have shown that in places where the mentral cycle is celebrated and not shunned and viewed as "dirty" that women actually suffer from less PMS and cramping. And the opposite has been shown in these studies ( dirty= more PMS).

B) Arguements and studies have been looking into the prolonged menteral "time line" of women in the modern West and compared it to women back 100yrs or more ago. What they've found is disturbing. The studies have found that we are generally bleeding too much, over working our reproduction system (possibly causing fertility problems) and a high rate of female cancers. The biggest difference between us now and 100yrs ago is women are having less children and thus are having far more periods then ever before. One of the ways as was already mentioned on this thread of stopping your period safely (and possibly to the benefit of your health) without having dozens of children is the use of birth control pills or depo provera. Of course each woman has to make the choice that is right for her and never needs to justify her choice to anyone else (male or female).

I personally am on DP because I suffer from severe endometriosis and have not had a period in over 8yrs. And whether it's because of what other women say or just myself there are times that I question if I am "normal" or as much of a woman as one who has a regular mentral cycle.

hennakatrin
admin

Thank you, Maggie! Interesting comments.

The moment of 'embarrassing theme' is presented already in video-clip. Not argued or discussed, thou. But so it is.

Why I took up this pills-problem is that i have seen how easily these are recommended and actually how little doctors do care about side-effects. I do not argue about pills pro or contra what I just want to say is that for me personally it is a little bit disturbing when hormonal preparates are adviertised like vitamins and any comments about side-effects are highly ridiculized.

Weight-prblems - example from one conference: doctor takes one hormonal pill and shows it saying - Ladies do you really think that one such a tiny thing every day can cause you weight-growth? Big supporting laugh from audience. He was happy.
BUT - these are hormones! You are not talking about vitamin C or glycose tablette. You are showing combinational hormone preparate. And it will cause changes in every level.

But I do accept that my point of view to hormonal preparates comes from personal background - I have tendency for hormonal depression. When I had my first pills nobody ever asked me about this. Result - I tried several pills and it ended up always same way - 2-3 cycles and literally I could find a note from my pillow one morning sayn: Broke up, left forever, don't look for me. Sincerely, you mind.
Nobody ever warned me. And for a long time nobody believed.
It took me YEARS of hard work to get the mental balance back. :)

Hair-growth - withign 2 cycles I found I have to shave my legs. Or wax. From little weak unnoticeable hairs became dark and strong hairs. I do not joke when I say that it is biologically insulting seeing men who are less hairy from legs than I could be... :)

As a woman I am glad and grateful for a chance not to spend half of my life being pregnant (was not fun at all) but hormones are tricky triggery things...
But it went far away from sanitary-pads now... :D

Maggie

You make really good points, and I agree the pill is treated with so little respect. Then again over the last 15-20 yrs it seems as though all medications are being introduced into the public without full study of side effects or better yet they'll tell you the side effects but the same company has other pills for you to take for those side effects. It's crazy. Like you said horomones have a huge impact on our bodies and our minds and doctors pay little attention. Probably helps that that doctor's pockets are being lined by big Pharma.

Ahh I digress!