Can henna help me go from chemical black to a natural strawberry blonde?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
incitatus
Can henna help me go from chemical black to a natural strawberry blonde?

I chemically dyed my hair black 6 months ago over my shoulder length virgin golden brown hair. Since then, I've dyed my whole dead 3 times with this dye. It's somewhat healthy, but I can definitely see a difference in my hair since coloring it. Especially since black really accents flyways and split-ends. I would like to switch to something natural now and for a bit I've been thinking about getting a nice strawberry blonde color.

I want to start my removing the black hair dye with Color Opps. I've read good things about it and I think it can help me, since my black fades back to brown very easily and the condition of my hair isn't too damaged.

After that, would it be an option to do henna? I really don't want to use a chemical dye, but I want to a achieve a very natural looking strawberry blonde hair (but on the deeper side). The main problem I noticed in pictures of those with henna red hair is that the hair is all even-toned. This may not neccearily be a bad thing, but I really want to add some dimension and deeper/light reds and some blonde tones. Can that be achieved with henna? I sure hope so. Does anyone have any reccomends on a mixture for some nice rich strawberry blonde? I'm baffled by what I should order.

Also, I have a big event to go to in mid-Feburary and I would like my hair looking great for it. I figured if I start this journey now, by then I'll be all set. How long does henna last without fading? Would I dye it again before the event if I do it say... a week from now?

Thank you.

ACWN
Re: Can henna help me go from chemical black to a natural ...

Sorry, but this is gonna be a book...

Henna cannot make your hair lighter. The only way you could get strawberry blond is if you start out with blond-blond hair. Golden brown hair sounds like its too dark - if you can, find a picture that matches your color and link us so we can give you a 100% accurate answer. But henna is not like chemical dye, its like a wood stain rather than a paint... it enhances your natural color by adding a translucent layer of color to the color you have now. The color you have now has a direct impact on the outcome. The lighter your color, the lighter your result. The darker your color, the darker your result.

And I have a feeling that your color may come out rather.... orange.... from the chemical damage. You would need to order a sample and do a strand test to be sure, but henna on bleached hair tends to come out orange and stay fairly orange.

Though the cool thing about henna is that it shows your natural highlights and low lights, so whats there will be naturally enhanced by the henna. And, the best part (at least for most of us) is that henna DOESNT fade. You would need to do your roots in Feb, but not your length.

But again, I dont think you're going to be able to get strawberry blond, even when you seriously dilute the weakest henna in a gloss... and it may come out more of a copper than a strawberry blond.

What I suggest you do is order a few samples of Yemen Light. Harvest some hair from either your brush or snip a bit from the back of your hair once you get it back to your natural color, you want enough for two samples. Mix the samples up with something mildly acidic (like apple juice), once you have dye release, apply some of the henna to a hair sample and put that in a ziplock with no air. Put that in your pocket and keep it there for 2 hours. When that time is up, rinse and let it sit for a week.

Now, with the other sample, take about a tablespoon of dye released henna and mix it with a cup of conditioner (any will do). If you can figure out how much henna you need for a tablespoon of conditioner to meet that same ratio, then do it that way to keep from wasting that much gloss - but I suck at figuring those things out, so I cant help.

If you cant, take about a tablespoon of the gloss and apply it to your second sample. Put that in a baggie, stick it in your pocket and leave it for an hour. Rinse and leave for a week.

It takes a least a week for henna to settle into its final color. Remember to label the bags so you know which is which and at the end of the week, see which one you like.

incitatus

Thank you for all the information. I have no idea how light my hair will be once I remember the black, I suppose that will be the main factor into what henna color I end up with?

That is good to hear it won't fade, though doing the roots makes me nervous. How hard is it to achieve the same exact tone and color?

I think this hair is beautiful and I would like to aim for something similiar to this actress:

www.anglotopia.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/karen_gillan1.jpg

images.mirror.co.uk/upl/dailyrecord3/may2010/5/7/karen-gillan-image-2-169597519.jpg

ACWN

One of them, yes. But also the amount of chemical damage will have a good deal to do with it too.

With your virgin roots, you may need to dilute the henna further, depending. Virgin roots wont take as much dye and will result in a darker color. It'll take a little tweaking, but once you get the mix for your length you like, some of our experts can give you suggestions.

Kay, those pics... the first one is probably a darker strawberry blonde (though thats more so of what I personally picture when someone says "golden brown", but that could be my monitor), and may by possible, depending on how dark your natural color is.

The second one is not even close to strawberry blonde.. thats an auburn. If you like that color and think you can carry it (I would print the picture out, take it to a salon and ask a stylist what they think, or purchase a cheap wig of a similar color and wear it a week... see what everyone says, see what you think), then you could go with straight Celebration for about 3 hours, possibly 4.

You'd still want to strand test to be sure on the time though. And it may take two applications. With your roots, it would only take a single application.