cassia and/or alma on white hair for body/minimize thinning

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
aimee
cassia and/or alma on white hair for body/minimize thinning

I am wanting to try non-dye released cassia and/or alma on my mom's solid white hair. My worst nightmare would be making my mother's hair yellow/blonde, as her white hair is absolutely beautiful. I am considering the cassia and/or alma to see if it would help w/body and to minimize thinning.

I am planning on mixing the cassia w/room temp water, honey and alma, then using immediately. I love the honey because it helps the mixture stick to the hair. If I just leave the mixture on for an hour w/no heat, should I get any color deposit at all from the cassia? Normally, I wrap my head in plastic wrap for my gloss which generates some heat, so should I leave her head unwrapped?

Her hair is short, so I don't have much to work with for testing. She gets her hair cut every 3 weeks, so I guess I might just use those clippings, even though they will be so short that I expect them to be hard to work with. Anyone have any suggestions to make those clippings easier to test? Rinse them in a sieve?

Carrie
Re: cassia and/or alma on white hair for body/minimize thinning

You can still get some dye release and uptake even if you try not to, with cassia. The shorter the time it's on her head, the less chance there is of that happening. Possibly if you used something acidic like juice but didn't give it any time to release dye (water doesn't require time, but something more acidic would).  But if you really don't want any yellow tones, use zizyphus instead of cassia.

Amla may also affect her color temporarily, adding a gray/brown tone that lasts a few washes at least (it's not a dye per se but I've seen this effect on my own hair and skin).

I'm not sure what to suggest as far as gathering and working with 3-week hair clippings, sounds challenging :)

aimee
Re: cassia and/or alma on white hair for body/minimize thinning

I hadn't thought of Zizyphus. I'll give that a try. thanks!