questions on using dye released cassia

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
aimee
questions on using dye released cassia

I am talking to my aunt about using dye released cassia to get the soft blonde that I saw in Megumi's post on the old forum (see picture from that post below). my aunt's hair is white at the roots instead of that dark gray, so I think I should get similar results. I'll do some tests when I visit her in July, but it's hard to test the roots. Maybe I can test the roots at her nape. I have the following questions about cassia:

1. how do you deal with the cassia potential for brassiness that Carrie mentioned in Megumi's post?

2. does cassia fade or do you only do root touch-ups?

3. has anyone tried a gloss with dye released cassia, honey and conditioner? Is cassia too weak to use as a gloss for color? I love honey because it makes the mixture stick to the hair better. I guess even if I use the cassia full strength, I could mix in honey also.

4. how do you check for dye release w/cassia?

5. what is the best acid to use for cassia? I use alma w/my henna for the acid in my henna gloss.

6. is an hour w/heat from a salon dryer long enough to get color deposit?

photo for reference borrowed from Megumi's post on 1/7/10. My aunt's hair is longer than Megumi's client, so that is why I am concerned about brassiness and root touch-ups versus full head applications. Also, I live in a different state, so I wouldn't be doing the maintenance on my aunt's hair.

thanks,

Aimee

Carrie
Re: questions on using dye released cassia

1. how do you deal with the cassia potential for brassiness that Carrie mentioned in Megumi's post?

• You could use water instead of acidic liquid so less dye release occurs, and leave it on only an hour. You should get less (possibly much less) dye release and uptake this way.

2. does cassia fade or do you only do root touch-ups?

• It fades about 50% in a month or so. If you don't want the color to build up, I'd just do roots touchups. The conditioning effects only last about a month.

3. has anyone tried a gloss with dye released cassia, honey and conditioner? Is cassia too weak to use as a gloss for color? I love honey because it makes the mixture stick to the hair better. I guess even if I use the cassia full strength, I could mix in honey also.

• Cassia's dye is weak but if you only want to refresh color or conditioning on the length, it would be worth mixing your cassia paste with some conditioner; I've done that. In fact I just did cassia, conditioner and honey in the past week and it gave nice conditioning (I wasn't doing it for color this time, really).

4. how do you check for dye release w/cassia?

• You can't skin test it, it doesn't show up. There is no way I know of to quickly verify dye release so I just rely on timing: 12 hours with something cold and acidic like lemon juice, less time for something less acidic (maybe 4 hours with chamomile tea, for example) and if you use warm/hot water (distilled recommended because of weird colors that can happen with minerals in your home water supply) you can let it sit just an hour or so.

5. what is the best acid to use for cassia? I use alma w/my henna for the acid in my henna gloss.

• I don't know what's "best" but you can get good color with lemon juice, apple juice, amla, something mildly acidic like that. Acidity will impact the color but I don't know the precise pH that gives the most color ... and perhaps the most color would be pretty brassy, anyway!

6. is an hour w/heat from a salon dryer long enough to get color deposit?

• Yes, 1-1/2 hours under a dryer would be equivalent to 3 hours without heat so 1 hour with heat should be okay.