Yemen Light Henna

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
ACWN
Yemen Light Henna
So I really needed to do my roots and since I have 5 days off (well, 4 now), I figured this would be the best time to do it. I mixed… I dunno, plus or minus 50 grams of Yemen Light with Mango Passionfruit tea (brewed very strong - 8 packets for 2 cups of water, s'all the tea I had left, so I used it).

Since this is a newer crop, I decided to do a little review on it from a customer's point of view.  If no one minds (namely Lady C), I'd like to post it.

I mix in just a little conditioner to make it thin enough to squeeze out of an application bottle easily. Maybe 3 or 4 tablespoons at most. I leave it on about 2.5 hours, covered with a plastic shower cap or grocery bag and covered with a beanie to keep it warm.
CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Yemen Light Henna

The dye content of Yemen Light is the lowest dye content henna we have, very similar to Punjabi Prime. 

I don't know if its the right thing for you ... depends on what you want out of it.

ACWN

You actually suggested it to me, Lady C. I was using PP before and you suggested YL because it is so similar. I dont want my color coming out too dark cause it doesnt look good on me.

And I was basically trying to ask if it was alright if I did a customer review on it myself since I already used it and its a newer crop that not many people have tried yet.

CCartwrightJones
admin

You're certainly welcome to review it!  I hope it works well for you ... I thought it had a pretty rose undertone.

ACWN

Thanks, Lady C :) I'm not seeing rose, currently, but I did just apply it last night.

Yemen Light Henna Review

- Texture: Pre-dye release mix, added just enough liquid to make it into a thick mud for dye release. Doing a dye release test I found it was very... I dunno, grainy, almost. Like it had very fine sand in it (note: I know it doesn't, this is just the best way I can describe texture). And fairly elastic. When I used PP and mixed it this way, it was smooth and creamy, and smeared on my palm nicely. The YL didn’t want to smear and I had a hard time gathering any on my finger from the bowl. Now, this could be because I didn’t add a lot of liquid, only just enough to make it into a thick mud, like I said before. This could have something to do with it. Paste is slightly difficult to get off the skin, which isnt entirely abnormal against PP, but it's almost sticky in a way.
               Post-dye release, added enough tea to thin, followed by about 4 tablespoons of conditioner. Henna remained very lumpy and required a great deal of stirring. Had quite a few lumps of paste that refused to stir in. Texture reminded me of a very sticky, thinned out brownie batter. Application was... interesting. Rinsing was fairly easy, but I think that may be in part from the conditioner and the fact that this was roots only, and my hair is short. If you do a full head application and your hair is longer than a few inches, I definitely recommend a mermaid soak.

- Dye release: Going off what I get for dye release on PP, I tested the YL at about a half hour in. Now with PP it takes about an hour before I get solid dye release with the tea, but at a half hour I get a very faint stain on my palm. However, with the YL I barely got anything at all. At an hour, the stain was close to what I normally get a half hour with PP. This, however, could be because my house is now much colder because it is Winter and the bathroom (where I mixed the henna) is probably closer to 65 degrees, possibly colder. It is definitely chillier than my bedroom, which is currently suppose to be around 73 degrees according to the thermometer on my floor heater.
               Dye release happened at about 2 hours. Might have been longer but I warmed the bathroom with a floor heater until it was comfortably warm.

- Color: Pre-oxidation color after 2 hours on ash brown hair (which looks roughly like 10C on this http://www.wilshirewigs.com/graphics/wigsjpegs/detail/eg/egcolors1.jpg chart) is very close, if not identical to PP. Granted, my hair is still wet and it's still very orange but it looks like the color will blend in seamlessly from the PP to the YL with the YL being possibly just a BIT darker. I was a little nervous because due to the weird texture, I ended up with a lot of overlap and I didn’t want the previous roots going darker on me. I think it was a good move.

- Over all thoughts... this is definitely one of the trickier hennas I've used, but given I have only used PP and BAQ2 henna from Pakistan before that, that’s not much to go on, lol. I think this texture is similar to the original Yemen crop? If I'm remembering right and you've used that crop, you'll have no problems with this one. I do think it's gonna be worth the extra work to mix it up though.
Carrie

yep, your description of Yemen's texture sounds familiar! 

gypsymoon

I would love if you could possibly post some pictures. I purchased the Yemen Light but haven't had a chance to use it yet. (Waiting till after the new year when I can get some help applying it). Right now my hair is a pretty copper color and I have about an inch or more of roots coming in which are ashy blonde. The fact that Catherine says there are rose undertones is kind of making me nervous a bit. I really like the coppery color I have. Just wondering if this Yemen Light will be in the same color realm as the BAQ for Pakistan.. So if you could please post some pictures I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thank you!

Happy Holidays!

ACWN

I can tell you right now you're most likely going to have to do a gloss to keep copper with YL. Its dye content is close to or higher than what PP was and PP is higher than BAQ2 henna was.

I can try and get some pictures, but I dont know how well they're going to turn out. Gimme a bit, I'll try.

Okay, so here's what my roots look like naturally (ignore the blond) - [link]

And here's my roots with YL henna on them - [link]

Pics didnt turn out too well, but you can see how my hair goes from the previously bleached length with about a half dozen henna applications on them to the PP on virgin roots (save for the very front of my bangs cause those were still bleached up until last month), then the last inch or so closest to my scalp is YL on virgin hair. Its still a little orange, but thats 2 hours on my virgin roots.

Carrie

Wow, very nice. It may be the lowest dye content Mehandi currently has but that doesn't make it wimpy! 

gypsymoon

Well that sucks for me! Looks good but defintely not the color I am wanting to keep and that would be just way to dark in contrast with the rest of my hair. Guess I will need to order some different henna now. :(

Thank you for posting the pics I really appreciate it!

ACWN

Gypsy - just dilute it in a gloss. Honestly, I have found that the higher dye content hennas (I mean lower than YL) seem to have more staying power. When I used BAQ2, the color didnt seem to want to last, even after I switched off products that seemed to strip it, but with PP I had no problems with it. Even when I used it in glosses. It wasnt oxidation either, it was becoming dull and flat.

Strand test 1 tablespoon of dye released henna in a cup of conditioner for an hour, that should give you a very pretty copper with YL!

gypsymoon

I just ordered some more BAQ2. I'll keep the YL just for the glosses or if one day I feel a little frisky!!

Thank you so much again!

Have a wonderful new year!!

PatriciafromCO

I've used yemen in my mix I just ordered a new batch which is marked yemen light,, did my roots last week and found that it works the same as the previous yemen did.. I like my mix light.. I am using 3tsp henna (two yemen, 1PP to 7 tsp cassia..  You can get very dense colors with a light  henna mix depending on the light you are in.. concerning the yemen light  it worked the same as the last batch I had gotten at the begining of 2010,, it might be the same batch lol..  but it worked the same..

heres some pics of the roots and how a light mix can look with a flat direct flash and normal light..

roots with a flat flash,, the area hit by light lets the light through the color so it's all the same hair color

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/PatriciafromCO/henna/P1030679.jpg

same night just moments later same room but no flash

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/PatriciafromCO/henna/P1030671.jpg

again no flash

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/PatriciafromCO/henna/P1030674.jpg

full length with flash same night same room

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/PatriciafromCO/henna/P1030682.jpg

full length no flash same night same room

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/PatriciafromCO/henna/P1030684.jpg

Did find the yemen light responded the same as I have always known it to respond. blended right in with my older color. because I want to stay light in my color,, after I get the stain release that I know is right to work with for me. I put it on the  roots and cover, and dap a thick diagnal line of the henna mix across my palm.. at 30 minutes, I scrap off (part) of the line and look at the stain at an hour I scrape off another part of the line and check the stain.. Over time you know what your looking for and you know the stain you see on you hand that moment will get darker later.. So it's my safety to have the line on my palm so I don't go too dark.. A little bit of  orangey red for a light mix will go darker so at orangey red it's time for me to take the henna out..

ACWN

it worked the same as the last batch I had gotten at the begining of 2010,, it might be the same batch lol..  but it worked the same..

Nuh uh, the reason why its labeled Yemen Light is because this batch from Yemen has a MUCH lower dye content than the previous batch - we know because Lady C has had both tested and the lab reports say as much. Yemen Light is the weakest dye content mehandi sells while the previous batch was up with Celebration and Purity as far as dye content, I think it was just under Purity by like .1%

Its curious that you got the same results though.

gypsymoon

How is that color now that it has oxidized? I'd like to see a picture if you would please. :)

ACWN

Its the same, actually. Hasnt really darkened any, least not enough that its noticable for me.

PatriciafromCO

for what it is now in direct light

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/PatriciafromCO/henna/P1030751.jpg

same day just a little different light but it really doesn't show the root area but it does show the different density in lessor direct light

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/PatriciafromCO/henna/P1030753.jpg

As far as what batch this is, compared to the previous batch I was using,, I don't know.. The PP I  purchased as being one content level but found out later to be another lower level content, then  from last I read the Yemen had tested lower content then it was thought to be.. So I only (assumed it might be possible) it was the same batch..  Never had any problems with the henna I have purchsed from Lady C.. always been pleased.. 

I just learned so many factors of the environment , season temps can change timing and dye release. That has nothing to do with the henna.. That is why I put a henna line on my hand to check once it's on my head.. And it helps.

Yola

PatriciafromC:

Thank you for sharing your pictures with recipe (3 teaspoons Henna: 2 Yemen Light / 1 Punjabi Prime / 7 teaspoons of Cassia)  I am trying to transition from my darker saturated henna color to a lighter color and it seems like your formula may work for me.  I'm also doing honey treatments (every week)  with honey from New Zealand (Manuka Honey 16+) to see how much I can lighten my "cherry cola-ish" color to a less deeper hue. Each application of honey-water under a cap lightens my hair a shade or 2.  Girls, the honey-lightening works! but I have best results with "active" honey. It is a very gradual process, but there is no damage to the hair.

I started with virgin roots and chemical treated blonde hair. But, now, I've cut away all of my previous chemically colored hair and my virgin hair is down to my shoulders. (The henna looked lovely on chem treated hair, and it greatly nourished my hair, making it resilient and shiny - but, I just wanted no more chem-treated hair  . . . as there was a "slight color-variation - but, not enough to matter, really.)  I remember how "orangey" my first experience was, but over the following weeks, the color oxidized into a beautiful irish setter copper. I'm sure that was due to henna on chemical-treated blonde.  Over time the overall color deepened.

I did my roots (only) every two weeks and a gloss once in a while . . . but, between the overlapping of root applications and glosses, my processes darkened my hair. (to a beautiful  med auburn!) I used a little buxus, now and then, too, to tone down the henna on my greys/white (which also temporarily muted the tone.)

How I miss that warm coppery color that was achieved in my first henna applications.

I'm going to give your recipe a go. And try a lighter hand when it comes to the recipe.

My hair takes henna easily - even the greys.  Sometimes, I just leave it on for 1 hour or 1 1/2 hours - even 45 minutes. Always deep, rich, color that never fades.  (I use chamomile tea.) I know some gals leave on for 3-4 hours and even overnight! Everyone finds their best application balance.

I've always used Punjabi Prime, and I'm going to given the Yemen Light a try. I've got PP (powder) in my freezer, so I can mix the two.

Thanks ALL who posted in this thread . .  . it helped me to "connect the dots."

I absolutely love Mehandi's henna.  I never think twice, anymore about "doing my roots" - easy as pie and SO worth the results. I keep mixed batches in the freezer (in small zip-locks, flattened) to always be prepared for quick touch-ups. Move over frozen peas and ice cream!

PS, I have a final Q to Admin:

With all of the political unrest, will it be difficult to order henna in the future? I guess that's hard to predict. With so much global unrest, I'm embarrassed to admit that I wonder about stockpiling Mehandi's Henna, more than fresh water, iodine pills and pinto beans.

Thanks you guys.  Learning about plant dyes has blessed my life in so many ways.

MissSunshine815

I have discovered Yemen Light myself recently, and I LOVE it!  When I first started to henna my hair, I used Mehandi's Henna for Hair Red kit.  Got a beautiful coppery-red.  The next time I did it, it turned really dark after only leaving it on for an hour.  So, I did a few honey lightening treatments and then switched to the "Fire" kit (half cassia, half henna).  Just wasn't as red as I would have liked it.  Then, after doing a bunch of research, I decided to try a henna with a lower dye content.  I liked the description of YL, so I went with that.  I mixed 200g of YL with 2 cups of strong chamomile tea (six bags steeped for 3 hours), which left me with a consistency similar to thick mashed potatoes.  I probably should have thinned it out some after dye release, but I ended up having just enough.  Anyway, I left it on for 2 hours, rinsed it out, and fell in love with the results.  It's a rich, coppery red that has ruby highlights when the light catches it.  It's absolutely delicious. :) I will post pics if anyone is interested.

Mary Lila West

Miss SUnshine, I don't even know if you still go on this website, but if you have any pictures from when you dyed your hair with Yemen Light, I would love them :D I'm trying to find something that will give me a copery color.