Lowlights using Indigo? To tone down Orangey/red roots

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
whichypoohs
Lowlights using Indigo? To tone down Orangey/red roots

Hi...I was once a lovely Hennaed, long haired lady until I committed the sin and allowed a salon to chemically dye it dark blonde. It is now dry and horrible.

My hair will be VIBRANT as it's gray (although it was a lovely colour and the Henna is pushing it's way through).

To tone down the VIBRANT ORANGEY RED would I be able to LOWLIGHT using a little bit of INDIGO? And how would I do it?

Thank you

HEATHER

ACWN
Re: Lowlights using Indigo? To tone down Orangey/red roots

If you want to tone down the orange, you can mix in a little amla into your henna (either as your acid or after dye release). This will push the henna it a less orange color. Or you can mix in a small amount of buxus into the henna to tone down the orange - it works like indigo but the dye is weaker. Gives you more control.

If you were to streak your hair with indigo after applying henna, you would very likely get black if you arent careful - which I'm sure you dont want. And even if you were to do it for a very short period of time, you're more likely to get brown.

Also, there is a new henna available on mehandi.com called Celebration. It has the highest dye content I've ever seen (3.4%) - it will dye even gray hair a deep auburn. You wouldnt get orange at all with this. About 4 hours and you'd have a nice auburn.

And as always, strand test before you do anything.

Carrie

Another idea would be to lowlight some strands with a mixture of henna and indigo, say 50/50. Then those strands wouldn't be as dark, more of a reddish brown instead of brown.

whichypoohs

To ACWN and Carrie....what FABULOUS advice you give. Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help - it is invaluable X

Carrie

I remember you and your gorgeous amazing hair (the color I always wanted!) and your undying love for Jamila, whichypoohs!  it's great to have you back with us :)

whichypoohs

,,,,,, yes and I was very naughty by giving in and going to the hairdressers the chemicals have killed my hair so I'm going to have to bleach it back down then Henna.... :o) x 

whichypoohs

.....I think I might cheat...just a little bit!!!! Hennnaaaaaaaahhhhh all over then maybe put a few copper highlights in using a little bit of commercial dye; it won't touch my scalp so I'm quite tempted just to tone the orangey down a bit X

What do you think?

Carrie

Are you wanting to darken the color, not actually "highlight" which typically refers to lighter streaks?

If you're talking about lowlights (darker streaks instead of lighter), putting a darker dye on over henna might not work well because it just won't stick to that glassy shiny smooth hennaed hair. But you could apply the dark dye streaks first, and THEN henna :)

whichypoohs

well I will probably go with LIGHTER streaks in my hair. When I went back to the Hair dressers they covered my lovely Henna (ouch) with a chocolate brown and it covered really well, although it did fade quite quickly.

No...I will put lights in it I think x

Carrie

That should look very pretty. I like the look of highlights on hennaed hair :)

whichypoohs

my Jerome Russel 40% bleach came out of the cupboard and after only 5 minutes the chemical dye was out....next day I TESTED a thickish section and SMOOOTHERED my Henna on....ahhh to smell that Henna again was amazing but what was more amazing was that my highly processed chemically dyed hair was SMOOTH .... my Jamila is on the windowsill and tomorrow it's going on my head lol X If it's vibrant then so-be-it, I can put lights in or something.

taiba.waseem

dear i also havin same problem i used to dye my hair med blonde my natural hair color is dark borwn from last 2 month im using henna infact i did 4applications of henna now i m confused

is it possible to streaks hair after henna treatment and second thing i having wavy hair which i hate i want my hair to be straight n shinny so can anyone tell me that if i do use henna reboundin can be possible or after sumtime  of using henna my hair wud be straight naturally my hubby love to see my straight hair

whichypoohs

Well I intend to put some very subtle highlights in my hair (not touching the scalp though)....in time I might try mixing Cassia with the Henna.

I wasn't worried about plonking that Henna on my head because I know it's safe and if you would ever want to dye over it (BUT PLEASE DON'T!) you can and if you want to put in Highlights (Bleach) you can.

I know that I can play with Henna safely. The more I read about PPD's etc. the more I relish my vibrant hair x

When I Henna my hair volume goes bonkers. You can blow-dry your hair straight but I've found that Henna makes it naturally wavier.

ACWN

Sorry to hijack the thread, but taiba, please go check your post on the old forum. Both Carrie and I replied to it.

padove

I really love my dark chocolate brown hair using henna/indigo but it seems like I am getting fading of the indigo about halfway down the hair shaft.  Could I use just a teaspoon of amla in my mix (I'm aware you mix it with the henna alone first) just to get the benefits of the less fading (I don't want to change the color to a cooler brown/black).  I already use salt in the mix.  Thanks so much.

Carrie

Most people who combine amla and henna are using about 20 to 25% amla to 75-80% henna in their mix. I don't know if a single teaspoon of amla will help you prevent fading of your indigo.