burning scalp after Indigo

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
c.nosheen
burning scalp after Indigo

Hey guys! So I applied Henna (store bought) +indigo to my hair. removed it and realized it wasn't dark enough. Now I never applied indigo alone before, but this time I decided to try to darken my grey hair. Immediately after applying Indigo to my full head my scalp started to burn! So right away I washed it out. My scalp is still burning. I'm so scared I'm going to lose my hair. 

Carrie
Re: burning scalp after Indigo

You mention that your henna is store bought; is the indigo also store bought? Was it Ancient Sunrise, or some other kind? You're sure it's indigo?

You may be allergic to the indigo, some people are. You can become allergic to things that you've used before without problems. If what's happening is allergy, you probably need to avoid using this at least until it's been determined what's going on. I haven't heard of anyone losing their hair from this, typically your scalp doesn't feel good for a day or several days and then you feel fine. But you shouldn't use this again; if it's an allergy or sensitivity, it could be worse next time.

Had you put anything acidic in your henna paste, like lemon juice? or anything besides water? Sometimes things that are rather acidic like lemon juice can make your scalp sensitive, and then the indigo might bother you more than usual.

c.nosheen

Thanks for the quick reply. No the Indigo was from Ancient Sunrise. Actually before I applied henna+indigo twice and it was a kit I bought from Ancient Sunrise which never gave me a reaction. 

Anyways, my scalp is feeling better now. It's still burning but less than before. I'm still going to apply Henna+Indigo next time, but only henna bought from here. Never store bought again! LOL

Thanks for your help

c.nosheen

Oh yeah and no I mixed the henna paste with water as well as the indigo. In fact last time I applied I used lemon and it didn't give me a reaction. 

Carrie

To be safer, before you use indigo again you should do a little patch test with indigo paste on the inside of your elbow to see if you have any reactions. If you don't have any reaction after 24 or 48 hours, you should be able to use it again for your hair.

http://www.wikihow.com/Patch-Test-Skin