Can I Chem dye over Indigo/Henna?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Katrina
Can I Chem dye over Indigo/Henna?

Hi everyone,

I've had a read of this interesting and useful site but can't find an answer in the posts so hope you can adivse me.

I've dark brown hair with some grey, I've used indigo/henna mix 3 times to cover the grey (Schwarz and Lush brands).  It has covered it fairly well and left my brown hair more or less the same colour brown - which is what I wanted.  However, as it takes me ages to apply, I have to leave to leave it on for hours and re-do every 6 weeks I'm tempted to go down the chemical dye route.

so I've two questions:

Is there a way to make the indigo/henna more permanent? easier to apply/less messy!

The chem dye - semi-permanent or permanent, says not to use on hair that'b been dyed with henna - what might happen if I do?  or will it be ok as I only want to go from brown to brown!

many thanks for any advise.

Katrina

ACWN
Re: Can I Chem dye over Indigo/Henna?

All chemical dye has that warning because of compound henna. Compound henna may/often does contain metallic salts which will react very badly with chemical dyes, relaxers, perms and the like. Some reactions include weird colors, smoking, sizzling and even melting of the hair into solid masses.

Pure henna does not have this risk, however with pure plants there are things you have to be aware of...

1. It will make the hair shaft more smooth, making it harder for chemical dyes to hold onto. This results in less than permanent results, the worst of which being it lasts only a single wash.

2. When indigo is involved, you canNOT go lighter, period. Everything but the indigo dye will be removed, resulting in a nasty, moldy green color that can be blotchy and even have orange or brown in it. NOTHING covers this.

I am only familiar with one brand you have used, Lush, and I will tell you right now it is a premixed henna dye. Deep discussion of premixed and compound dyes are off topic here, but I can tell you that from what I have read Lush is safe. However the probable reason for why you have to keep applying is because it is premixed and the main ingredient is an oil, which can and does inhibit dye uptake. Especially in indigo.

The other brand I am not familiar with at all, so the best I can tell you is strand test before you do chemical treatments.

Now, if you want a more permanent result thats less likely to fade so all you would have to do is your roots, I recommend you try PURE plant dyes that are not premixed - such as mehandi.com's products. However I cannot tell you that it will be any easier to apply, because sometimes it isnt. And you will still have to keep it in for hours because that is the nature of henna, it takes a while.

jmedlm

Hi Katrina... seems you are in the decision stage as well. 

Well, here's a tip on easier application:

First, get yourself a color applicator brush.  You can get them at Sally's or even online.. like here at amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Style-Piece-Rubber-Applicator/dp/B001MP7HYE/ref=sr_1_26?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1290653561&sr=1-26

This is a set of three for about $3.00.   I use only one, the wider size for application, however the smaller applicators could be useful for smaller area touchups.  I just use the one size. 

Part your hair down the middle all the way to the back of the top of your head.  Start by applying to the root area and pull through if you are doing a complete henna on your whole head.  Now take the end of the applicator brush and going to the left or right side of the head place another part about 1/2" away from the first part, again taking it all the way back of the top of your head; then flipping the hair up and over the initial part with the henna applied.  Repeat henna application.  Now continue down that side until finished.  Now take the hair from your center part and flip it down so you can apply henna to the other side of your head using the same part and application process.

When finished, take the sides of your hair with henna applied and bring them up to the top of your head and clip.

Now to the back...

Not so hard, really.  Get a mirror and look at the back of your head/hair.  As the 'already henna'd' hair is clipped at the top, from left to right you want to make a part about 1/2" from the top of the back of your henna'd head --- repeating the parting and application process down the back of your head, as done on the sides of your head.

As you are applying and flipping the hair over each application, you may want to clip it in place so it doesn't fall down and in the way of continuing your application.  I clip mine each layer, just makes it easier.  Just one clip works fine for me, I just move it to hold all the completed layers.

When done applying unclip and flip your head downward and pull the henna'd hair up to the top of your head and clip, wrap with plastic or plastic cap and you are done !

I simply have no mess with applying this way... it's fast, easy and not so frustrating... and I am sure to have covered every inch.  

Now here's a tip on easier rinsing: 

First, buy yourself a very strong wide toothed comb.  I have one similar to this one at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Diane-Ionic-Extra-Wide-Handle/dp/B0011DUE9C/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1290655346&sr=8-6

Works wonders for removing henna gently. 

Next, get your conditioner and shampoo ready.  Set your water temp to warm and put your head under initially using your hands to remove most of the loose surface henna.  Now, gently use the comb pulling it through slowly until you can pull the comb through, throughout your henna'd hair.  Keep pulling it through under the water getting out as much as you can. 

Now get your conditioner and apply all over your head... this will loosen the henna'd hair and ease up on the removal of the remaining henna.  Continue using the wide toothed comb until you can use a smaller toothed comb... you should be able to remove most all of the henna easily now.   Now jump in the shower for even more complete rinsing.... shampoo and condition as normal.  

That's what works so well for me ! 

Now, if I can only get the color down.  I am not giving up, hope you hang in there too.  I am quite sure with all the 'henna heads' out there, we will figure out the right mix for the color we both seem to be pursuing.  I do know from the posts, that henna is definitely permanent, and the more you henna, the darker your hair will become.... so you will eventually just want to do your root area, maybe following up with a nice glossing: 

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=7971

You may want to have a look here too... this is a nice gray/white coverage result: 

http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/sarahi/

Once you get your color down, then you probably will want to apply only to the root area, following with a nice glossing.  Where I am now, in my understanding of henna coloring, took a lot of forum reading, posting, application trial & error... still working on that perfect formula... and not giving up.  Henna is just so good for your hair.  I have also asked the question of going from henna to chemicals and was advised that you can, as long as the henna is 100% pure henna, as is at Mehandi...  and as long as you are not going lighter. 

Hope this helps, hang in there.... and Happy Thanksgiving ! J

Katrina

Thanks for the advice and info.

I'll give the Henna/Indigo another go, and leave it on for longer and maybe it'll be more permanent.

I've thought about only applying to the grey streaks - but I'm worried I'll end up with mismatched colours!

Thanks again

ACWN

Leaving pure plant hennigo (meaning its JUST henna and indigo, not a premixed brand like Lush) on longer will result in a redder color. After about 2.5 hours, the henna catches up with the indigo and takes over, resulting in more red coming through.