Brown hair with gray highlights

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
orange
Brown hair with gray highlights

I have been using store bought henna for some time.  My hair is gray and brown.  I was using Rainbow Henna medium brown mixed with marigold blonde.  It was working very well.  The gray hair looked like blonde streaks while the rest of my hair remained brown.  It was the look I was trying to achieve.  Then I made a mistake.  I ran out of Rainbow Henna medium brown and I bought medium brown from another brand of henna that has pictures of animal of the box.  Well, now my hair is very orange (what used to be gray), and dull light brown.  Although I liked the look I used to have, I'm wondering if the henna was really all natural.  I like this site and am interested in buying henna/herbs from here.  I read the posts about dying over gray hair, but I'm interested in lightly coloring (blondish  preferably) just the gray hair.  I didn't see any photos of this.  When the gray hair grows in it's not very noticeable.  Has anyone else done it? I also gladly welcome suggestions of how to get this color out of my hair.  Thanks.

ACWN
Re: Brown hair with gray highlights

I would suggest cassia then. This plant has a weak yellow dye that only shows up on white or grey hair. It wont change the rest of your hair (which henna would, depending on the shade of brown your hair is) and it wont be "OMG! blond", it will result in a nice, subtle blond.

Carrie

I don't think you can remove the plant dyes from your hair, but if you want to try, here is a thread about someone who got some of her old indigo out:

http://forums.hennapage.com/node/1204

You might be interested in this thread about brown glosses ... it gives a dark blonde/light brown result:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=3530

orange

Hi, Carrie,

Thanks for the links.  I guess I will try to remove the present color and then dye over it. I remember hearing that a balsam shampoo would take out henna.  What exactly is a gloss?  It sounded like 50/50 henna/indigo.  

Jen

A gloss is a small amount of plant dyes mixed in to a few ounces of conditioner or yogurt and left in the hair for a short time.

You can learn much more about it here: http://forums.hennapage.com/node/21

orange

Hi, ACWN,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Can you use cassia by itself or do you use it w/ henna?  It sounds like just what I'm looking for.