Getting hard water buildup out of hair

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Danmara
Getting hard water buildup out of hair

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to get hard water buildup out of hair- my hair suddenly went from deep red/burgundy to very much more brown pretty much immediately after I moved. I know henna will go more towards brown but my water has so much copper in it that it turns GREEN on contact with soap- I'm almost positive THAT has something to do with it.

I've switched to a clarifying shampoo but that doesn't seem to be helping. Does anyone have an idea? Going to a salon for a treatment is not a practical option for me right now. I've considered doing a honey lightening treatment just to brighten the color, would that work?

ACWN
Re: Getting hard water buildup out of hair

You need to wash your hair with distilled water a few times, I think. One gal had a problem with it back in the winter months due to the city putting stuff in the water to prevent freezing and when they switched on the house's filtering system her hair began to regain its red color. It was very, very brown too. Pretty, but not what she wanted at all.

If your water is coming out hard, remember to mix your henna with distilled water to avoid any weird color changes within the mix. And wash with distilled water as well.

Its a pain, but basically you'll just have to keep your hair in a shower cap while you bathe, then wash your hair separately.

Danmara

Wow that is a pain! especially since I wash my hair every night!

I don't use any water in my henna mix usually (unless I run out of lemon juice.)

Now I gotta find a cheap source of distilled water! I wonder if getting one of those shower filters would work? And be more cost effective?

ACWN

Yes, most likely a shower filter would work just fine.

Danmara

Alright, cool. I'll try that then...it'd be a good idea to have one anyway- might stop the thick layer of green stains from forming every week in the tub too. That would be awesome.

Jen

Honey lightening has worked for some people, but it takes stamina. You'll probably have to do a few treatments before you really notice a difference.

Citric acid is the best way to try to remove mineral build up. One method of using citric acid is to get a few packets of instant lemonade mix, add a little water to make it a paste and put that in your hair for a bit before you shower. You can also ask for a crystal clarifying treatment at Sally's. They only cost a couple bucks.

I've read about people using baking soda for this, but I wouldn't recommend it. It really doesn't make any sense. Baking soda will help remove shampoo or oil build up, but not minerals.

You should be able to get some of the minerals out of hair, and do some simple things to prevent some of the build up, but I'n not sure removing the minerals from your hair will lighten the too-dark-henna that you already have. Hopefully the honey treatments will help that. 

Danmara

OH! Good tip about the citric acid! Thanks, I'll definitely give that a try!

It's not that the henna is too DARK...it's too BROWN. It shifted colors immediately after being exposed to this coppery well water. Like, within two weeks of moving it went from a deep brownish red to a sort of...dull burgundy?

Jen

That may just be oxidation! You should probably stop hennaing the whole length of your hair and to to just roots only. The more full applications the darker it will get!

Danmara

I was actually going for color this dark- I had reached (so I thought) terminal saturation a long time ago. Though I suspect I haven't gotten as good dye release from my recent hennas so that could have something to do with it.

I do think it is the water- my water actually turns GREEN from copper. Green + red = brown.

mauhall

There is a product that is designed to remove hard water/mineral build up from hair. It is Malibu Wellness.   You can find it at some hair salons, but they also have a website.  They have a Crystal Gel treatment that is effective at removing build up, but you may want to try the Color Correction packet.  It is for chemically treated hair that has taken too dark or not as expected due to mineral build up.

It's possible that it would be effective with the henna even though it is not a chemical.  The active ingredient is Ascorbic Acid, and it is gentle on the hair and very effective.  I have had a problem with swatches I've tested using straight Cassia turning greenish yellow.  I believe it's from the copper pipes/hard water in my house and am going to experiment with the packets soon to see if it corrects the problem.  I'll let you know if it's successful!

Hopefully this will help!

Danmara

Yea you know what I used cassia in my mix the one time and it turned brownish immediately after that- I frequently used cassia and never had that  problem before I moved. I have copper too.

ACWN

Could be worse, the cassia couldve gone black. I remember a while back one lady reported this happening and I think it had to do with her water. Freaky, huh?

Any way, hope you figure out what works for you soon. :)

Danmara

I remember her!

I think the clarifying shampoo is helping, actually. That and the lighting in my place is so bad it doesn't look as good. Combine that with poor dye release the last couple of times I hennaed (didn't wait long enough) and I think my hair is gonna be back to its bright self soon. It needs done again, too, it's been over a month I think since I last hennaed. Been too busy but gonna do that this weekend.

Cassia always dulled my henna a bit- I use it occasionally to 'stretch' my henna but for me, no matter what the water, it always sort of made it...duller and not nearly as nice. Not like it was the same color but diluted, but like it changed the color slightly.

ACWN

Well thats good! I bet with a water filter your hair will be back to the color you want in no time. :)

As far as the cassia... have you tried waiting for dye release on it? When I mix cassia, I do it by itself and mix it with the same liquid I mix my henna with - strong chamomile tea - and when the henna is ready the cassia should be ready (since their dye releases are so similar) and then I mix them together. Just something to try or keep in mind.

Danmara

I mix my cassia and henna at the same time and dye release them both.

ACWN

Ah, okay then. I mix mine seperately to check for dye release because I use more cassia than henna.

Danmara

One of my customers at work recommended a filter to- I got one for less than $20. So we shall see! :)

Danmara

My luscioius burgundy is back!!!!! Two days after my last henna:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/002-2.jpg

Carrie

Is that  because you got a filter, used some kind of treatment, or ???

andrea_au

Had the hard water problem here, where I rent right now.  Very hard water, all the fixtures are coated with mineral deposits (but it's right near the university, so I guess I can't complain too much!).    You need a product with a chelating agent, tetrasodium EDTA, to quickly and gently lift the mineral deposits from your hair.  There are some expensive brands online which say they are formulated specifically for hard water.  Or, you could get Pantene's Ice Shine, which has tet EDTA high in the ingredients list;  it does also have sulfates, though, so if you've gone SLS-free, you might find a better product than Pantene.   I used the Pantene for just a few washes and it did the trick, plus it was easy to get at the local Shopper's Drug Mart.  

Danmara

I got a water filter for my shower and used regular clarifying shampoo (V05, I think I paid 89 cents for it!), and with another coat of henna, it's good as new. :)

kcr

Couple of things:

Would lemon juice not do the same as citric acid?  (Of course, this just assumes that everyone has a huge stash of lemon juice, like I do...)

Also, and I know this isn't real good for your hair, but when I was fooling around with some extension hair I had a batch that came out dark reddish brown.  Not a bad color, but not something I wanted.  And there was no henna flash in the light--sort of a muddy color.  I am assuming this is what the girl from Nashville ended up with before she got hers fixed.  Anyway, just to fool around, I soaked some in lemon juice/conditioner and some in 30 volume developer/shampoo (30 minutes for both).  The lemon juice mixture helped a lot--it lightened it but didn't brighten it, if that makes sense.  But the developer mixture brightened it up, too--you could see the Lawsone.  I only left it on for 30 minutes, but another treatment and I think it would be exactly what I would have expected from one henna.

I also wonder what vonegar would do for mineral build-up, but I have never heard anyone say they tried it.  I have some more of that brown hennaed extension hair--I think I will try some vinegar on it and see it it turns red.

Stinkie

Hello,

I am wondering if it would help, when you rinse out your hair with vinegar? I also have the same problem with the hard water and I am going to use cassia to cover my grays a little. 

Jen

So this post was brought to the top by a spammer, but since its here, I have 'new' information to add! (Not new like ACTUALLY new, but new since this conversation anyway.)

Rainwash is our mineral removal treatment. www.mehandi.com/shop/rainwash/index.html It has citric and ascorbic acid. The chleteing agent is is potasium gluconate, which is also a dietary supliment so its quite safe and mild. It contains aloe to help make up for any stress to the hair caused by the acids. Good stuff!

Lemon juice or vinagar alone won't do it. That's only HALF of the process.