Jagua body art safety.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
BlueMoon
Jagua body art safety.

I've been a henna artist for 12 years but only recently heard about jagua for black temp tatoos. I saw someone doing them and questioned them about the whole PPD black henna issue and they said it was a fruit and does not have PPD. Does anyone know anything about any negative health issues, allergies or warnings associated with this? I did learn that the jagua fruit contains caffeine. Any thoughts from other henna artists about adding jagua black tatoos to your business? I definitely don't want my customers to think I'm using PPD or start any confusion about the black henna issue.

Lori B.
Re: Jagua body art safety.

I'm not sure how or if caffiene is taken up by skin. I do have a heart condition though that is agravated by caffeine so I'm on a restricted diet. (God I miss real coffee.) If I was having a large tattoo done I personally wouldn't want it to be done with something that contains caffiene just in case. It might not be a bad idea to warn your clients of the caffiene content. That would protect you as much as them.

Malynda

Jagua.  I've seen it.  I'm not impressed.  I've never used it myself, though I have heard from first-hand accounts that it is sticky, hard to use and difficult to achieve any good detail.  I've seen the stain many times and it is a mottled bluish-grey, not black.  One of my henna clients reported localized hives a few days after having jagua applied.  If you want a great, long-lasting black body art, go with "Harquus Platinum" from Mehandi.com here: 

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/harquusplatinum/index.html

It goes on easy, stays black, and lasts a week with minimal care.

ladytetsu

I have played with it from a few different sources, but only on myself.  I'm not sure the uncertainty about it is worth applying it to clients just yet.  I personally did not note any allergic reactions, but that's a data sample of one.  I'm not sold yet.  Harquus kicks butt.

Maggie

If I recall correctly back a few months ago this product came up on the forums and I believe it was CCJ had mentioned that jagua has a much higher rate of allergy as compared to henna. Personally I'd stay away from it, it's confusing and looks kinda nasty if it goes moldy colour. I would assume that since PPD and all the other weird crud we put on our bodies are absorbed through our skin (including 1% of henna) to some extent or another that the caffeine would be absorbed to. Although the amount is unknown it's not a risk I would take, you'd be surprised how many people have problems with caffeine.

On a side note, it is up in the air by a few Muslims whether or not caffeine is halal or haram as it is a stimulent so one would have to wonder if you could even offer jagua to Muslims...

CCartwrightJones
admin

From whom did you "learn" that jagua has caffiene?  Its genipa americana and ... I don't remember seeing any caffiene there. 

The genipa americana fruit is in the fig family.  There are allergic reactions to it.  I haven't heard of long term or serious reactions, but if a person has problems with some fruits, particulary an itchy mouth when eating raw figs  ... that's a warning.

Generally, the commercial product is expensive and in my experience it is very unreliable.  The indigenous product, made fresh from fresh unripe genipa is very interesting.  It's my impression that the indigenous raw fruit and spit art form does not make the leap to western commercial products without stumbling.

Desdemonas Designs

I have used Jagua several times, it is gelatinous, and kinda gooey, like jelly.  Its tricky because if you get a little where you don't want it and wipe it off,  that smudge will show up when the color comes up.  It gives sort of a navy blue/black color which is nice for people who are looking for something that looks like a tattoo.

Jagua is related to strawberries, so anyone who has a strawberry allergy, will most likely have an issue with Jagua too.

I don't use jagua in my business for a few reasons: I don't want any confusion with "black henna", as others suggested I use Harquus paint instead, it needs to be stored in the fridge and I'm unsure of the lifespan, some batches seem to work well some batches seem not to and I don't know why!, and the allergy issue.

But, that said, if you get a chance to play with some it is interesting :)

Deborah Brommer

Desdemonas Designs

I have used Jagua several times, it is gelatinous, and kinda gooey, like jelly.  Its tricky because if you get a little where you don't want it and wipe it off,  that smudge will show up when the color comes up.  It gives sort of a navy blue/black color which is nice for people who are looking for something that looks like a tattoo.

Jagua is related to strawberries, so anyone who has a strawberry allergy, will most likely have an issue with Jagua too.

I don't use jagua in my business for a few reasons: I don't want any confusion with "black henna", as others suggested I use Harquus paint instead, it needs to be stored in the fridge and I'm unsure of the lifespan, some batches seem to work well some batches seem not to and I don't know why!, and the allergy issue.

But, that said, if you get a chance to play with some it is interesting :)

Deborah Brommer