How to touch up roots???

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
itsbri01
How to touch up roots???

Hello - I have used Henna & Indigo twice now. The second time I did my whole head again rather than just the roots. This time I'd like to just touch up the roots. My roots a just a little lighter brown than my hennaed results so the grow out isn't too bad, but it would be nice to have the red highlights in the root section too.

For those of you who have done root touch ups, what has worked best? Do you try to get the roots at the back of the head? I think most of the roots that show are around my face and the part. Maybe I should just touch up those areas? What do you do? What works best? Should I try to blend it in with the rest of the hair at the top of my head or leave that alone?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Brianna

ACWN
Re: How to touch up roots???

Here is what I personally do, but please note that my hair is rather short so this may not apply as well to you.

I mix my henna, let it dye release, then thin it out ever so slightly with conditioner so that it is easy to squeeze out of a squeeze application bottle - you can use a red squeeze ketchup bottle or get the application bottle from a beauty supply store like Sally's.

I fill the bottle, then apply by sticking the tip against my scalp and drawing tight zig zag lines up and down my hair, then get my temples and the top the same way, but with the top and sides I go back and make lines of henna every half inch or so just to make sure I get everything. I also comb my hair out a bit to keep it from getting overly tangled.

I also have a medicine cabinet that opens and a mirror opposite it, if you can make a set up like this getting your roots is MUCH easier solo cause you can see all sides fairly easily.

Now, if your hair is longer than mine, what you may want to do is part your hair in half down your natural part, then take one half and section that off into 4 - 6 smaller sections, possibly more if you think it will be easier, and clip those up. Repeat with the other side.

This will reduce tangles and make things go easier, I would think, because you would undo one small section, then once you have it finished, you can re-pin it into place and go to the next. Fewer tangles and less hassle in the long run.

Carrie
mscatamaran

the trouble with that discussion on the old forum is that no one really touched on what to do if you have short hair and new root growth.

Carrie

Yeah, that is a problem that's been discussed (mostly by member Purplebird, if I recall correctly) and no one has come up with a good method for doing it yourself. Even with help, it's going to be tricky. My suggestion would be to get help (at least for doing the back), make fine (about 1/4 inch) sections and use a pretty thick paste applied with a brush just to the virgin roots. You still have to cover with plastic to keep air off of it and keep it from drying out.

If you apply a thinner paste, or too much paste (for example, with a squeeze bottle it will be thin and/or too generously applied), it's going to squish around and get everything covered with paste - you might as well do your whole head if you can't keep it off the small amount of "length" you have.

A root shooter with a toothpaste-thick paste might work (you could lay down a thin bead of paste at the roots), but I'd still be concerned that the paste would smoosh around too much when you flatten the hair out under your plastic wrap. Maybe if you just put a grocery bag or shower cap loosely around it instead of a tighter fitting wrap, that could help?

Another alternative might be to compromise the color a bit on the roots so that overlap won't make you too dark. For example, make a lighter color mix (using some cassia in the mix, perhaps) for your roots.

nancy325

Carrie, this link says it's "forbidden" when I click on it. Is there another way to access the data?

Jen

I'm not sure... There was some talk about archiving that information before it was inaccessable but I'm not sure if that happened. Let me look into it.

Carrie

We have a new FAQ on roots techniques, here:  forums.hennapage.com/node/5496