Zizy with Water or Conditioner?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
celiacarrion
Zizy with Water or Conditioner?

So I'm about to order 100g of Zizyphus Spina Christi because I love what henna did for my hair but i don't want the color xp.

Now I read online to mix it with hot water but I'm wondering if I use it with conditioner (I imagine that the zizy will be like the henna where it made my hair dry afterwards and Id have to deep condition my hair so I figure if i use zizy/conditioner ill get 2 things done at once) will it still work? and also since its a conditioner...will it weigh down my hair thus counteracting the volume I'm trying to acheive?

Also I plan on getting a perm (loose waves for a lil volume and just cuz I'm sick of my pin-straight hair hehe). Will the zizy/perm chemicals like kill my hair?  Take away the waves? Should I use it before or after the perm?

Help would be much appreciated!

magdalene00
Re: Zizy with Water or Conditioner?

Zizyphys is a plant cleanser. I originally posted about it in this forum in 2005 or so. I had picked up a jar of it at the local Persian market. It met with little interest here (it was before Catherine had researched it for herself). However, I've used it many times for cleansing. It does leave hair soft. I used the traditional Persian method, which is simply to mix a few tablespoons in hot water to make a VERY loose paste (like a thin shampoo), massage it into hair/scalp, leave for 5-10 mins, and rinse.

I would not recommend mixing it into conditioner.

I don't agree that it has the same conditioning effect as henna. The mechanism is completely different (there is no bonding of any material to keratin, as with henna).

Jen

I don't think conditioner is necessary either.

No, zizy doesn't do the same thing for hair that henna does. It makes hair softer (way better than henna) and gives a lot of body, which henna doesn't do for me at all. It does not make hair stronger or thicker like henna. Its results don't stay with you for months like henna.

If you have light hair, cassia will give similar results to henna, without changing the color. If you have white or silver hair, cassia could give it a pale gold cast, and zizy would make an excellent herbal substitute for henna and cassia, but it would not be the same.

I don't really know the answer about perms, but I would encourage you wait and see if you still want the perm until after you've tried the zizy. It fixed my desire for a body perm. It gave me a lot of body, and it will even hold a curl if I braid my hair wet, sleep in rag rollers, or heat style!

celiacarrion

ok thanks! yea my hair doesnt hold a curl at all thats why i thought id go for a perm:/but I'll order some zizy right now and give it a try!:). I don't need like massive thick hair because I'm trying to get more lift so thanks for the info:).

celiacarrion

Oh and Jen I'm about to order 100g of the zizy but...

how much do you put in your hair?  How long do you leave it on for? and how often do you use it?

sorry all the questions hehe.

Jen

I use about 25 g, mixed quite thin. I put it in right before my shower and rinse at the end, so about 20 minutes.

Don't apologize for questions! That's what the forum is for :)

celiacarrion

I'm sad to say....but unfortunately the zizy did absolutely NOTHING to my hair.

no improved condition, no volume, and it still doesn't hold a curl...

It feels like I just stuck some sticky stuff on my hair...took forever to get it out and all for nothing...

did I maybe do something wrong?

I mixed it somewhat thin then put it all through my hair.  I was gonna do what Jen does and just rinse it out at the end of the shower...but the shower got cold pretty fast so i had to wait for warm water...so the zizy was on my head for an hour maybe a little bit more. I finally rinsed it out as best I could with just water... then I used my WEN cleansing conditioner to try and get out the rest.  Well it took forever but eventually it seemed to be out.  Next day my hair still felt a lil sticky like I didn't get all the product out....and no volume or anything whatsoever.  SO i wait a few days till I get it all out...3days later still nothing:/.  Really sad because I've got like 75g left and I don't wanna go through that proccess again to get no results:/.

btw the WEN doesn't way down the hair it just doesn't have the harsh detergents like regular shampoo so its alot gentler on my hair since it tangles easy.  And its also a conditioner if you leave it on.  Its pretty multi-functional but it shouldn't be weighing down my hair I believe.

Carrie

I've used up 3 bottles of WEN conditioner and with all the silicones it has in it, it probably canceled out the effects of Zizyphus immediately.

I would wash out zizy with plain water or diluted shampoo. It is a royal pain to wash out, I feel, very globby and mucusy, but then I didn't get all the lumps out before I applied it. When I use it again someday I'll have to find a better way to mix it.

Jen

I don't know anything about WEN, but I do know that it does take some effort to get the zizy out. A little lather helps get it out. I used to use the shampoo bars for this, but lately I've been using Ancient Sunrise liquid shampoo. (Just for rinsing zizzy. I still prefer the bars most of the time.) I'm sure any shampoo would do the trick, but I would avoid one that has conditioners in it as that tends to weigh down hair.