Practice paste?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lehana
Practice paste?
I would really love to practice my henna technique without wasting all my powder. Is there a cheap paste I can make of the same consistency for practice it doesn't need to stain Also where are the easiest places to practice on yourself without ending ul looking like onenbig scribble?
estavash
Re: Practice paste?

I'm a big fan of using gilding paste for practice.  The instructions are on the Henna Page-- but for practice, I suggest leaving out the glitter, and just mixing hair gel with powdered eyeshadow. (I knead the hair gel and eyeshadow together in a plastic baggie, then cut the tip and squeeze it into a cone.)  Lumiere powder makes a richer, more saturated color, but for practice, any cheap powdered eyeshadow will do.  When I'm trying out new designs, I will decorate myself with gilding paste, wash it off, and do it again and again until I'm satisfied with the results.  If I really like how it turned out, I might let it dry and leave it on for a few hours.

The consistency of the hair gel is a little looser than henna paste (at least the way I mix it) and it spreads a little more, and it can clog if the tip's too small, so it's not as good as henna for detail work.  Still, it handles pretty much the same, and it washes right off and doesn't leave a stain.  I actually use it on paper as well, both to add new things to the design binders I take to gigs, and to draw on blank greeting cards.  It doesn't crack like henna does, and it holds up quite well.

Ellen

Malynda

Very thick body lotion works well in a henna cone.  When you're done, you just rub it in = no sticky mess to clean up.  You can also mix up some cake frosting to henna consistency.  A good place to practice on yourself with henna are your legs and thighs... easy to reach and easy to hide scribbles :).

Lehana
Than for the great ideas. I was a little bit shy when posting because some forums attack the newbies for asking silly questions. It is great to know I can practice with things from the local shop because in my part of aus there are very few suppliers for henna so I don't want to be making long trips for stuff I will be washing off :) So glad I round this awesome site and forum * yippee*