Indigo gloss

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
stefafolle
Indigo gloss

I'm a little confuse about Indigo gloss.

I was told I can use it over brown and some greys  after I do my Henna,to help w/the grey coverage.

Can you please point me to which product to use.

Should I use streight Indigo or a mixt?  I will test first but don't want to end up w/ darker hair, just browner greys.

ACWN
Re: Indigo gloss

You make the gloss yourself. You just take regular indigo powder sold from mehandi.com, mix it per the instructions (warm water with a little salt), then mix into a cheap conditioner (suave, white rain, etc).

If you did a mix, it would be a hendigo gloss - which you certainly can do.

For a weak gloss you'll want 1 tablespoon of paste to a cup of conditioner

Medium would be 2 to 1.

Strong would be 3 to 1.

Basically you just take however many cups would need to totally saturate your hair (lets say, 2 cups), then mix in the matching amount of paste.

So, for a weak gloss that has 2 cups of conditioner, you'd do 2 tablespoons of paste. For a medium strength gloss, you'd do 4 tablespoons and for a strong gloss you'd do 6.

Then you just mix the two together, apply, wrap with plastic and something warm, then let it sit. You wouldnt want to leave it on all that long because the point of a gloss is to deposit only a little color at a time. Strand test to figure out how long you would need. I'd say start with an hour or less probably.

Glosses tend to be really drippy so you may want to watch out for that. And while I would not recommend doing it on purpose, if you mix your indigo a little too thick (which can result in a cement-like paste which is a bear to get in with a normal paste), it wont hurt anything with a gloss because the conditioner will thin it out.

But if you find its too drippy, you can mix in a little corn starch or instant pudding to thicken it up next time.

Carrie

Some people's hair will turn black with 35 minutes of an indigo gloss, so please do strand test to make sure.

stefafolle

thank you so much.

I still have some questions...

I read that Indigo is not as permanent as Henna, will it build up over time like Henna does? 

Am thinking if so I should probably do just the roots the following time w/mixt Henna and Indigo.

Would adding Amla to the mixt make a big difference to help set the color longer?

I am thinking to also get Cassia too to get a ore orange color, can you mixt all that?

The recipe is the same if I use yogurt instead of conditioner right?

thanks again!

Carrie

Indigo may fade the first couple of times, or not, and yes it sure does build up like henna!

Yes, whenever you get the color you want, you should only touch up the roots from that point on.

Adding amla will not only help prevent fading, it also increases the indigo uptake for darker, cooler (less reddish) shades of brown and black.

Yes, you can mix cassia with all of this, which will lighten the color.

In general, anything that dilutes the dyes can be used as the basis for a gloss. But you should strand test with any combination before committing all your hair.

stefafolle

Thank you for your answers, I'll be getting both the Cassia and Indigo today...

So I'm thinking to do Henna and Cassia, leave for a few hours and than do the problem spots w/a gloss of Indigo. ( not sure how long I want to keep it, definitly testing first)

Is it safer to mixt the Indigo w/Henna and/or Cassia to make sure it doesn't turn too dark?

Carrie

Both are "safe" but they'll give you different color results. If you use, for example, half cassia, it will add a less intense amount of color (cassia's dye is weak and pale yellow).

stefafolle

If I use let's say 3/4 Henna and 1/4 Cassia would it make it more orange than just Henna?

Carrie

A little more orange, more noticeably if the starting color is quite light. Half henna would be noticeable lighter (and thus more orange instead of red orange).

mamaherrera

if I want to use a gloss to get to the roots, is it hard?   Or just aplpy it with the hands and mush it around the roots?  IS there a specific application method with the gloss?  If I apply straight henna powder to my conditioner, don't need to wait for dye release right?

Carrie

If you add powder straight into conditioner, it may or may not release dye right away. That's why I prefer to add dye released paste into conditioner.

You can apply the gloss with a tint brush to sectioned hair (my method) or with a root shooter or condiment bottle. Mushing it in by hand is not as precise so you'd get more overlap.