Apple Cider Vinegar

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
caitlinj
Apple Cider Vinegar

I have heard this helps the red come out more if mixed with the henna

Does anyone have any experience with it?

If so I'd like to know how it went

thank you!

-Caitlin

ACWN
Re: Apple Cider Vinegar

I've never heard of that. Vinegar in general makes henna smell really foul when its mixed as the acid.

Carrie

... but if you don't mind the smell, it's okay to use vinegar as an acidic ingredient. I don't know that it will change how red your henna comes out.

Other factors such as your starting color, how strong your henna batch is, how long you leave it on, applying when you have good dye release happening ... all that will play a role in how much color you get.

caitlinj

I usually leave it in for about 12 to 15 hours.  This will be my second time using dark of the moon henna.. when do you know if the dye is releasing? Is it when the top layer darkens?

thank you

caitlinj

I hope the smell isnt too bad but I'm willing to try it if the collor will be brighter! trial and error:)

thank you

Jen

I find DOTM to be one of the slowest to release dye. I give it a whole day at room temp in an acidic mix. I wouldn't hesitate to use it after 2 days at room temp!

Yes, you'll see a darker surface on your paste when its released, but the best way to tell is to put a dab on the heal of your hand for about 5 minutes. If it leaves a bright orange patch, you're good to go.

caitlinj

Alright then I will try that the first time i used it I didnt lt it release long enough! hopefully it goes well this time around:)

thank you

Lori B.
Re: Apple Cider Vinegar on DotM

Interesting. I'm trying to get red out of DotM too and so far just getting copper that is too orange for my liking. I did not know it has a slower than average dye release. I even thought last week that mine had demised after about 9 or10 hours after mixing. My last sample batch was yesterday and now that I think about it maybe the opposite happened. I did test it on my palm and got a nice orange stain but my skin is light enough that it doesn't take much for me to get an orange stain especially on my palms. By yesterday evening the stain in my palm was barely noticeable at all and that's just because I knew where to look. Maybe I didn't have dye release after all. Think it would help to let the paste sit on the counter at least 12 hours next time instead of 7 hours? Should I be checking for a darker stain on my palm test?

Jen
Re: Apple Cider Vinegar on DotM

Dye release is all pretty subjective since we don't have any way to count the available lawsone molecules. You kinda just have to go with it.

If you see color on a skin test, you have dye release. It may or may not be the peak point in dye release. See, after the dye molecules are made available to attach to your hair, then they begin to demise, or become unable to attach to keratin any more. The trick is to catch the paste while there is the most possible dye available. This is why we like to use an acid. It makes the dye release slow enough and delays the demise so we can be more likely to catch a moment of peak available dye.

Letting your paste stand 8-12 hours with an acidic mix will get you dye release and some color for your hair with any good henna.  If you're struggling with the exact color you want or perfect gray coverage, dye release timing is something you can tweak. For the most part, 8-12 hours is a really solid, universal guideline.

That said, yes, I think you could stand to leave DotM out longer. Not every henna is created equal. As we have seen, they can have a varied dye content. They can also have different textures and different dye release times. As a general rule (but I'm not sure this is completely constant) the higher the dye content, the quicker the dye release.

I look for a really vibrant, almost neon orange in a skin test, but I don't always get it! 

Lori B.

Okay. I think I will mix up a few grams tonight before bed and see if I can get better stains tomorrow. It's something to do while I collect more hair for sampling. lol

There are so many variables to consider in using henna. What color hair did you start with? What color do you want? What is the lawsone content? How much dye release did you have? What did you mix with it? How long did you leave it on? I'm glad we have so many nice people willing to  help us figure this out.