Washing hair prior to henna

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chelle510
Washing hair prior to henna
I am new to henna. I have performed one application so far and that was on clean hair with no product added before I applied the henna. My question is, is it necessary to wash before application and if so why (what is the science behind it)? Thanking you ladies in advance for your help. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right.
ACWN
Re: Washing hair prior to henna

We recommend it, especially if you're trying to cover gray hair. Why? Your body produces oils that coat the hair. These oils can inhibit or entirely block the dye from doing its job, especially in the case of stubborn grays or if indigo is involved.

Having super clean hair will prevent headaches, plus applying henna/indigo/plant dyes on damp, towel dried hair seems to make the application go easier. It spreads better and thus promises a better chance of even coverage.

EDIT: BTW, by headaches I dont mean literal headaches - I mean the pain in the butt, annoyance "headache".

Maggie

Yeah I have to agree the first time I did henna I did it on dry hair, the next time on towel dried. I'll tell you the difference in application has kept me on the freshly washed bandwagon for years!

Carrie

Many people apply henna on dirty hair but if you have any dye resistant hair (gray tends to be) then you'll get better results on clean hair, stripped of oils. Damp hair allows the dye to spread more evenly but again, many people apply on dry hair. It's personal preference, but if you have any trouble at all, "best practice" is to apply on freshly washed damp hair.

SamanthaJustine

Thanks for this post! For years I had been applying my mix to dry hair that washed the night before. Next time I going to try it on damp hair for sure. This is probably why at times I didn't get even results after waiting months to henna again.

Lori B.

What about if you use a moisturizing shampoo? Does that leave a residue that interferes with the dye? Does a cheapo, no frills shampoo work better?

Carrie

To really strip oils off, a clarifying shampoo, or plain old strong shampoo like Prell, or even dishwashing soap is what you want. Not a moisturizing shampoo which often has silicone-type ingredients in it.

afrolicious

What if you are not worried about extreme dye release and you want the conditioning and strengthening effects of henna, would applying it on diry hair would inhibit this?

ACWN

Since they dye and the conditioning effects of henna are linked (you cant have one without the other; poor dye release = weaker effects), I'm going to guess and say "yes".