sari

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
barefootgirl
sari

How much fabric do I need to get for a sari?  What width do you usually get?

thanks, donna

Maggie
Re: sari

A sari is generally 6yds long but you can find them anywhere from 6-9 and everywhere in between. The width I am not positive on but I am sure they're around a yard and a half wide something of that sort.

estavash

I just measured one of mine, and it was 45" wide and about 7 yards long.  That's a pretty standard size, but in Little India I've occasionally seen somewhat wider and/or longer ones to accomodate wide and tall people.  Some of them also include extra, more simply patterned fabric on one end to make a matching choli (blouse).

I hope this helps,

Ellen

Maggie

6 yards is standard if your sari is 7 yards it's because there is a blouse piece attached, which can either be left on or made into a matching blouse. If a sari is not wide enough for someone who's tall they'll generally sew in a piece of matching material around the top edge so it's longer as saris very rarely come wider (not more then a couple inches). If your sari is too short length wise for pleats etc then once again they'll sew in a peice of fabric to give you more length. I will advise anyone looking to do this, check out your sari when you buy it so that you'll be able to get similar fabric either from where you bought the sari or nearby because fabric stores at least ones around me don't carry anything even close to a sari colour/fabric. That I know from recent experiance lol.

barefootgirl

Thanks alot ladies!!