Lightening Indigo -- My Results

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
magdalene00
Lightening Indigo -- My Results

Background

I started hennaing in 2004, with BAQ henna purchased here. After 3 years of deep red/burgundy, I tired of it and decided to incorporate indigo to mimic my previously (salon-dyed) coffee bean brown (at the time I decided to do this, I was about 50% gray and so the "red" was getting brighter than I wished).

I used many different indigo processes and combinations. I've used two-step, mixed amla in, tried hendigo (fades quickly on gray hair). Cut most of it off, let the growout be root-touch-ups with hendigo only vs. doing whole head, 2-step henna-indigo apps (thus getting rid of opaque black), but still darker than I wanted. I had black hair, and it didn't suit me.

Last 2 weekends, I experimented with removal/fading. Here are my results

Methods and Results

Weekend 1: 2 shampoos with baking soda: Wetted hair, applied cheap shampoo (Suave), added handfuls of baking soda, lathered. wrapped in plastic bag then towel (for warmth), left in 10 minutes, rinsed well. Thought I saw slight brownish tint in water. Repeated. More brown water in second rinse. Conditioned briefly and dried. Result: I noticed a *slight* modification of color. Roots (most recently hendigo'd) definitely faded. Hair dryer than before, but not too bad after conditioning. Very tangled.

Weekend 2: 3 shampoos with baking soda. Most brown on second shampoo (quite a bit). Immediately after, saturated hair in cheap conditioner (Suave coconut), rubbing in well and pulling through ends, squeezing it and drawing hands down to ends. Drip-off of conditioner was bringing out even more dye. Wrapped and left to sit for 1 hour. After rinsing out and wrapping in a towel, I noticed a lot of orange streaks on the towel: henna! From my roots! (now faded to natural gray). Result: I noticed definite modification, edge taken off black, more natural looking. A "warm black" or deepest-darkest brown. But still too dark. Still, I saw progress. Hair very dry.

Tonight: 2 Vitamin C shampoos: Wet hair. Added cheap shampoo. Lathered in 2 handfuls of Vitamin C powder (you can buy it this way). Wrapped in plastic bag and towel. Left in 1 hour. Rinsed. Repeated. Water clear after both shampoos. Hair very clean but not feeling tangled, just a little dry, as after a normal shampoo (with cheap shampoo). Saturated with cheap conditioner, wrapped, left in for 1/2 hour. Rinsed and dried. Figured since no color in rinsewater, that at least I got my hair clean and reconditioned; felt better than before baking soda treatments. Result: Amazing... the color has actually faded to an espresso color! For the first time since before I henna'd, I have brown hair.

Still darker than what I would like, but now I know I can fade it more.

And... I have to redo these gray roots (I need to figure out that mix; probably hendigo/buxus in one step will match what I have, timed properly.

So, there is hope. If my layers and years of indigo can fade, yours may be able to, too. I'd recommend trying the Vit C first -- easier on the hair.

SamanthaJustine
Re: Lightening Indigo -- My Results

Thank you! I don't have indigo in lenght but I have chemical dye with henna over it and I really want it lighten up since I am growing out my hair but still using henna. All but about 1/2 an inch is dark. Going to try the Vit C powder as soon as hubby gets paid.

Carrie

That's great to hear, Magdalene00 - this comes up often and could help a lot of people :)

magdalene00

Yes, I would like to see others' results, as people pick this up and try it for themselves (as needed or desired, of course). I have been concentrating on the Vit C this week. What I have found is this: it works better if you put a good amount (several Tablespoons) of shampoo in a bowl, then add to it enough Vit C powder to make a very thin paste. Then apply it to dry hair, enough to saturate all your hair. My hair is almost shoulder length. You can mix more as you go along if you need it. Then I wrap my head in a plastic bag, then a towel, and leave it on for an hour. Then add water, lather, rinse for about 5 minutes (lots of rinsing). I towel dry and repeat the process, then when done slather with Suave conditioner (and I am usually such a conditioner snob, but this works), towel wrap, and leave for 15-30 mins.

I also found out why no color in my rinse water: ascorbic acid breaks the double bonds in the molecules that give of color, so that they don't reflect light properly (to show color). When you first dry your hair after this session, it may be lighter than it is a few hours later, because oxygen can repair some of these bonds... but not all. So my solution has been to do this daily (2 treatments back to back), to prevent this repair. Each time you do it, it lightens a bit more.

At first, it did not seem like much... After all, going from "dark black" to "less dark black" to "black" to "lighter black" to "black with warm highlights" to "espresso" to "coffee bean" can seem like nothing much is happening. But once you get out of that "black zone" into "coffee zone," the differences become more noticeable. I now have definite deep warm auburn highlights and I don't have that black edgy look. Still a brunette, but a warm deep brunette. Still working on it.

On the plus side, my hair is very clean and full and shiny. No dry damage.

SamanthaJustine

Good to hear! I am going to pick some up on Friday. I'm a dark brown right now and I wanna pull enough to be dark auburn. I plan to henna again to add in more red once I pull enough color.

padove

Just wondering how your hair is today.  Have you still been happy with the results? . . . have you done anything different?

padove

Just wondering how your hair is today.  Have you still been happy with the results? . . . have you done anything different?

magdalene00

Let us know how you do, Samanthalynn. Be prepared to do multiple sessions over time...

BTW, for anyone wanting to know where to get Vit C powder, Trader Joe's has it (probably cheaper than the local health food store).

Don't discount the baking soda routine, either... just be prepared to add LOTS of baking soda, and leave it in, with heat (plastic wrap). I actually found that method on a hair stylist's forum, as a solution to remove direct dye (which indigo and henna are, vs. oxidative dyes -- the ones that deposit color into the cortex). Repeating helps, with more color being released the second time, but I did the BS (baking soda) again the other morning just once, and it removed a tinge.

scorpioyuki

Hi

My hair is PITCH black while i was expecting redish brown :( I will try the vitamin c and baking soda techniques and will let you know of my results. Do you know if we can mix vitamin c and baking soda at the same time?

Can't we also use it on conditioner and leave it for an hour instead of using shampoo which is a stronger product?

Thanks

magdalene00

Sorry to be so late in answering. I have been off the board for a while, so even though my answer may be too late for you, hopefully it will help others who are researching this.

No, baking soda and conditioner won't work. It's the combo of baking soda and shampoo that helps fade indigo. Drying, yes, but not NEAR as drying as bleach, mixing salt with indigo, or some of the other things I've seen on this board.

Just condition after as described.

Dazey

Hi,

Carrie told me about this.  My indigo and henna hair is now a weird color, my own fault I think.  Here's what happened.  I did hendigo 50-50.  Then it faded to orange, not my color at all.  So then I did an indigo gloss, but only had expensive conditioner - Pantene.  It left my hair dry, frizzy and awful.  Probably the conditioner?  Now it's a strange color.. no way to explain it.  It's time to do my roots, too. 

I'm scared to death of cheap shampoo because of sodium laurel sulfate, because it made my hair start falling out when I used it all the time.  Maybe once or twice isn't so bad?  Also I have baking soda, but I do not have vitamin c powder, and since I live in the boonies, and it's in the next town - no car - it isn't likely I will get to get it very soon, at least not before the roots are extremely awful.

But.. I can't afford my hair being dryer.  So is it a lot dryer with the baking soda?  Actually I just noticed that I have an appointment on Monday so I may well be able to get the vitamin c powder if it is there, and not too expensive.  (argh)

Will either of these processes make my hair so dry that I'll have to cut it?  I was going to try and let it grow out, but now I'm not so sure it's a good time for that.  :-)

Thanks in advance!!  Oh, also.. do you ever use cassia over it for conditioning? 

magdalene00

Again, my apologies for being months late in picking this up. Hopefully my answers here will help others.

It's been several months since I performed the "fading operation" I described at the start of this thread. My hairdresser, who is a master colorist and quite fussy about color, but also knowledgeable about hair, reassured me that once you kick-start a color removal process (like I did), the color often gradually fades after, even the most tenacious color. He was right. I went for more than a year with pitch black hair and it never faded. In the 4 months after I did the cheap shampoo + baking soda treatments (mulitple) and the Vit C treatments (also multiple), my hair has lightened from "light black/very dark brown" to a nice dark brown, now reddish b/c of the henna I continue to use root to end once a month. I saw my hairdresser for the first time in 3 months yesterday, and he was quite surprised and complimented me on the color. So... dealing with dry hair for a bit (believe me, the soaking in conditioner after helped, then I got my ends trimmed about half an inch 4 months ago after the baking soda trials) was worth it.  I have very fine, fragile hair (but lots of it).

My hair also falls when I use cheap shampoo regularly. But not with very occasional use or for "special occasions" like the color removal treatments.

Crabbyco

Have you ever tried Burt's Bees products? $8 for a bottle, no sulfate junk. I love it. Never felt like I could get Pantene out and I have short fine hair.

criscarile

I just found this post -- am thrilled to read about the possibilities.  I've been using Hendigo for 5 years now,to cover the grey I was getting (commercial treatments did not work on my skin); my natural hair was previously a very dark brownish-black, now it is "VERY blackish-blackberry".  I'm struggling with keeping up with the maintenance of grey roots and the very dark contrast.  I used only Celebration henna on my roots the other day, hoping I can make a slow transition to grow out the Hendigo portion, but that in itself created quite a contrast in the root area and the hendigoed line. 

I've recently started thinking of working on gradually growing out my grey/dark brown hair, but with my grey color, it's not going to be pretty at all!  It's the "very-frumpy-she-doesn't-take-care-of-herself" color, but as I said previously, I'm tired of the upkeep, but I also LOVE how henna has made my hair split-end-free and very soft.  I'll probably stay with just henna, perhaps the "glosses" that are listed on this site, and maybe purchase the Cassia as a hair conditioner, if it will work.

So glad I found this post, as I will be working on lightening the indigo throughout this summer!

xyz

criscarile,

I want to share with you that I also have hendigoed for years and the other day decided I wanted to lighten it/make it redder for summer...I couldn't find Vitamin C powder, so I bought regular tablets, put them in my coffee grinder, then used a mortar and pestle to reduce it to a fine powder.  Made a paste with the powder and clarifying shampoo, did back-to-back treatments (paste for 1 hr, rinsed, towel dried, paste again another hour, rinsed and conditioned) and after 3 such treatments (with a day in between each) my hair started looking lighter indeed.  I stopped after those 3 because I only wanted to remove a little bit of the darkness before applying Celebration (in hopes of getting some of the "red aura" back) and it worked.  So try it--there's nothing to lose--and let us know if it works for you too. 

If it doesn't work, the slow-but-easy way to transition from "too dark" henigo is by progressively decreasing the amount of indigo in your mix every time you do your roots...and maybe replacing it with increasing amounts of buxus, which will give you a softer/more reddish brown...that's another option to consider.  Again, come back and share what you've done.  It's great to learn from each other's experiences!

magdalene00

xyz, thanks for posting your results. Love the Vit C tabs in the coffee grinder bit!

I am set for another round of lightening. One thing to note: this REALLY fades the henna and so if you have lots of gray/white like I do, it's good to have henna (and indigo if you need it to go brown) on hand to touch up roots. The hair with the least layers of coloring can end up back to au naturel, meaning that your recently dyed roots may be undyed. Worth it to reduce color on the rest of the strand, however.

Michele

This is a great thread - wonderful information.  Thanks!

Michele

Lavinniya

Here is my long-winded story of my experience with henna and indigo.   

I wish I never had done the 2 step Henna then Indigo process on my hair (mostly because I am too lazy to do up keep on my blonde roots).  I posted a few months back needing help to remove a black strip created from my first BAQ henna experience.  Clairifying and chelating shampoos never budged the black so... I hennaed over it and BAM! even red/copper hair.  I think the black had something to do with mineral buildup but also severe damage from previous chemical treatments (which is why I decided to henna).  

Anyway, so after multiple henna treatments my hair was getting too dark and the strip of black started to come back, ???.  So I my brilliant idea was to do a 2 step henna then indigo process to make it all black and hopefully grow it out.  But alas, too lazy, indigo began to fade and turned my red hennaed hair a muddy/ashy brown indoors and a purply/maroon in the sun.  Didn't match my skin tone, didn't like the color and didn't want to have to indigo every 3 or so weeks.  Plus the indigo really pulled out my curls and made them dry and fuzzy.  

Recently I have been reading up on removing the indigo, which as everyone says, is nearly impossible.  I got a friend to pick up a bottle of 20vol peroxide cream developer at Sally's for me and I have been saturating clean, dry hair with it, putting on a processing cap then a knit cap and letting it warm for about an hour.  After I rinse it out, condition the heck out of it and let it dry.... BAM! bright red hair again! Intense red.  Maybe because the peroxide is lightening the natural color underneath the henna?  Only problem is the black strip/halo of damage (about 3 inches thick and 4 inches down from root growth) is now completely ash/mud/brown, sort of a dark grey/brown but the majority of the length is a vibrant 'Little Mermaid' red.  I guess I will cut the damage off as soon as my hair grows out a little more.  

The moral of this story is: I have had some success removing indigo from my hair but only where it faded mostly on it's own and only with the help of 20vol peroxide.  Henna does not budge though.  Just gets brighter and shinier! :D  

PS: I do the peroxide treatments maybe 2 times per week and aside from making my hair dry (like shampooing twice with no conditioner) not really any additional damage.  Acutally, it feels a little softer. 

Carrie

Lavinniya, did you try the method Magdalene describes? 

Just want to mention that using peroxide on indigoed hair isn't a good idea, in general ... for most of us, that will result in green hair, not brown.

Also, 20 vol peroxide didn't damage my hair right away, but the damage showed up by 6 months later.

xyz

Lavinniya...be careful!  That "softer" feeling after repeated bleaching might mean your hair is slowly melting...it first gets rubbery and porous and then it starts splitting and breaking off!

magdalene00

Hopefully we can keep this thread on track by continuing to focus on alternatives to peroxide. Peroxide posts really should be started in a new thread. Just to keep this of value to those of us interested in Vit C/baking soda experience in fading indigo/henna.

magdalene00

Wanted to add, Vitamin C powder can be purchased very inexpensively ($10.50/lb + handling) at herbalcom.com:

http://www.herbalcom.com/store.php3?list=cats&alpha=yes&lett=u-zU-Z&sess...

This is a very reputable supplier from whom I've purchased bulk herbs for years.

Magical Mystery Girl

I can really vouch for the vitamin C/shampoo mix to lighten hendigo! My hendigo oxidized far too burgundy for my liking, and after 2 treatments, my hair is a light golden brown! I'm amazed at how much it pulled out! After a deep condition overnight, my hair felt perfectly fine.

Little tip: Instead of using vitamin C tablets crushed up, go buy the effervescent tablets! They come in little orange cylinder tubes.  I take 2 tablets, add just enough water for them to dissolve in (probably about 4 to 5 tbsp, then once they've completely fizzed/dissolved, I add enough shampoo to assure it's not too liquidy, mix it up and it turns into a gel-like texture.  Quite potent too! Those tablets are very high doses of vitamin C!

No dreaded orange or green tinge either!!

lauren01

Hello! So thankful for this information, but am wondering what will happen to my already-too-orange grays when I attempt to lighted my hair which I've been coloring with a boxed henna/indigo mix. I would like to lighten my very dark brown hair color, but don't want to lighten my orange grays!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

magdalene00

Fabulous tip about the effervescent C... I had no idea these tabs existed! Nice to know they are potent, too.

~Magdalene

pullanmuru80

I can't tell you guys how much I'm in love with this Vitamin C!

I've always been lousy at getting the right colour that I've wanted from henna and/or indigo, it has always turned too dark or too brown for my liking...with the lighter roots of course, so very uneven colour... I even went back to a chemical dye because of it 'cos I knew it would make my hair all one colour as I like it. But just two chem dye application left my hair feeling so unhealthy, tangly and awful that I don't ever want to do that again. I can't believe how I've done that for years before I found the secrets of plant dyes!! I tried all the so-called gentle ways to remove the unwanted darkness; honey treatments, clarifying shampoos, oil treatments...didn't get any truly visible results. 

To the point.. :) I tried my first Vitamin C treatment on a strand of hair on head. My hair colour at the moment was very dark burgandy brown henndigo + chem dye at the ends, with lighter red roots with just manic panic and henna... First application I wasn't completely sure if anything had happened, I thought I saw some slight change in colour but I wasn't sure as hennaed hair always looks different depending on the light... So I did a second application on top part of my head (for some reason the hair that's on top of my hair is a lot darker, obviously because I've dyed it more carefully than the back and therefore there's been more henna paste there resulting in deeper colour and stronger build up of colour)...

Now the strand that I had tested on first and which now has had two applications IS clearly lighter than the part which has had only one treatment. I'm amazed at how effective this is. Since I'm not actually looking to lighten my hair a lot, just to get a lighter shade and more even colour all over my hair, this seems to work wonderfully!! I am so happy!! And I'm relieved to know that if I ever fall asleep with the henna in my hair and it goes too dark, I can always do this and it will help! Because the only negative thing about plant dyes was to me that you couldn't really fix it if something went wrong...

Who ever first came up with this should be honoured and given some sort of price for saving many people from hair misery and easing the way for new henna lovers with information that henna isn't quite as permanent as we imagined! 

PLUS my hair doesn't feel at all damaged, not yet anyway...it shines like mad though! :) :) I would be interested to try how Vitamin C would work with conditioner rather than shampoo...I would like the know what's the role of the shampoo in all of this...

Tracey

So - 2 vit c effervescent tablets and any kind of shampoo or would clarifying work better?  How long do you leave the mix of vit c/shampoo in your hair?

Magical Mystery Girl
Benzoyl peroxide acne cream... Tested and it works!

Hey gang, 

I read on several websites of people using 5% benzoyl peroxide acne cream to pull the indigo out of their hair without getting a green cast at all, and I can vouch for the fact that it works! After 1 hour, my hair lightened a whole shade, and after 30 minutes deep conditioning, I had no damage whatsoever in my hair! Just wanted to share that little trick with you all. I'll take photos!

Carrie
Re: Benzoyl peroxide acne cream... Tested and it works!

Oh, interesting! that would be neat to see, I hope you have before and afters! 

Magical Mystery Girl

I absolutely do! This might be the holy grail for removing indigo! I'm also putting a video tutorial together for youtube.  I'm blown away by the results!

Beanut

Hi ~ I'm just wondering if you ever did create a youtube video about this? Also, did your hair remain undamaged after using this process?

Thank you!!!

sarahrachel

Dear magdalene00,

I see this was written years ago, but have a question that doesn't pertain to the lightening w/baking soda.

But pertains to 2-step hendigo process. 

I've been using black cat for about 2 years. Now, it's time for me to change to dark brown. And right now I have a 2 step henna, and then hendigo mix I am in the process of. 

Did you like the results? Will it cover my white hair?

You said it fades after awhile. I noticed that too last time I tried this, but this time I'm trying to do it correctly. How much time we can wait in between doing the henna, and then the hendigo? Have you found a solution/good results over time?

~Sarah Rachel

magdalene00

Sara Rachel, I'm creating a new thread to address this topic.  Responding here in case you have an alert set for this thread. Your name is in the topic title.

~Magdalene

Marina Michaels

I know that citric acid is not the same as Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), but in case citric acid would work for this process, MountainRoseHerbs.com has it for a little under $5/pound. I love their products. They are reputable and fair. I completely redid my spice cabinet a few years back using only whole, organic herbs and spices from them.

phyl1knit2

One of my favorite natural conditioners to use on my hair is a 50/50 dilution of apple cider vinegar & water. I had to stop using it as I definitely noticed that the buxus I used in my cassia/henna mix would fade very quickly. Since indigo is just a stronger version of buxus I'm wondering if the same thing would happen. It certainly is a lot cheaper & much healthier for the hair than some of the other solutions. I'm guessing that it's the acid content since both buxus and indigo are to be mixed with water & not an acid.

ACWN

Buxus tends to fade on its own regardless. And in the case of buxus and indigo, mixing them with an acid is a sure fire way to kill them rather than make them stick as they very much dislike acid.

blueyedcurls

I naturaly have dark blonde/light brown with hints of red hair and I went to the local beauty college and had highlights put in.  The problem I had was they went WAY too heavy on the highlights and I was practically a light blonde (washed me out terribly) and the damage was terrible! So as it grew out over about 3 months that hidious growth line was becoming very obvious so I decided to try and color it back to my natural color.  I decided to take the plung with henna and indio with amla by mixing it 2 parts henna and 1 part indigo in a one step process. (I think it was 50 grams of amala with 300 grams of henna and indigo)  I was trying to get a dark blonde/light brown color.  I thought I would need the indigo so my bleached highlights wouldn't turn out strawberry blonde.  I only left it on for 2.5 hours because I didn't want it to go too dark.  (Not a good thing for my complexion) My results were not what I was expecting at all! I ended up with an initinal bright auburn/orange color that oxidized to a medium auburn color.  I wasn't shooting for the red but I really like it.  I just didn't want it to be quite as dark as it went.  Now, I've decided to just use plain henna and embrace the red because I'm sure it will be much easier and more consistant on the results than using the indigo. I just wonder if I should attempt to lighten the henna and indigo before I use the henna again so I don't have a drastic difference.  I just want to match the results of what the henna on my natural color would be.  I could let it just grow out but the whole reason I got the highlights in the first place was to hide the grays.  They are just now getting to the point they are being noticed so it's time to start dying as I'm not willing to go gray right now and not for a long time.  LOL! I will post some pics and ask y'all if you think I should attempt to lighten this a little or just use the henna when the roots start showing.  I just hope I can keep a realatively nice, even color. 

This is my completely virgin hair from about 7 years ago.

This is after the highlights

This is right after the henna and indigo in direct sunlight

This is right after the henna and indgo in the shade

This is 3 days after the henna and indigo indoors.  This is how it is right now.  Although the highlighted ends have lightened a degree. 

ktnitster
Hi Everyone! So I know this thread is a bit dated, but I have been researching lightening techniques, and I have a question about Vit C. Here's my situation. About six months ago I had all natural, light, ash brown hair. Then I dyed it with a bright red, nasty box dye. Soon after, I discovered Henna, and I have been using BAQ Henna ever since. Right now my hair is a brilliant red. However, I am wanting to get back to brunette for awhile. Essentially, I have Hennaed hair over box dye. Does anyone know the effect of vitamin C in my situation? I am wondering if I should try Vit C first, and then do a hendigo mix to get brunette. Or should I do hendigo first and then lighten with Vit C?
Carrie
I don't foresee any problems with using vitamin C on chemically dyed and hennaed hair, but it will be a slower method than bleach for lightening. How much do you need to lighten, do you think, since your goal is going darker anyway? If you want a dark brunette, you can simply use hendigo over your current bright red hennaed hair.

By the way, if you haven't yet used any indigo yet, you can safely lighten your hair the regular way, by bleaching it. The vitamin C and baking soda regimens are recommended if you can't use bleach.
Laura H
Re: Lightening Indigo; lightening indigo with Amla!
Thank you Magdalene, hooray for your posts and for vitamin C!! What was your source for this method, or were you experimenting wildly? Do you have a theory about whether the baking soda and the shampoo are also working, and why? Is it working on the Henna as well as the Indigo? So: After reading your post, I noticed on the side of my tin of Amla powder the claim that it is not only a natural hair conditioner and cleanser but also "one of the best sources of natural vitamin C..." Sceptical, but willing to try, I kneaded about a quarter-cup of Amla-and-warm-water paste into my too-dark Hendigoed ends at the end of a shower. After fifteen minutes, I lost patience with the goop on my head and rinsed it out. The results weren't immediately noticable, so I shrugged it off as a failed experiment, but by the next day, I had to do a double take in front of the mirror: the almost-black burgandy brown had really, wonderfully, become a several-shades-lighter burgandy brown. I've now successfully tweaked it to "real" brown with the rather yellowish "light brown" henna mix from Khadi. Can anyone replicate this lightening result with Amla? Between the Amla lightening and a sweet new short cut (great inspiration on pixie-forever.com) to get rid of the greenish brown bits from a failed attempt at lightening with bleached highlights, I think I finally have conquered the awful frustration with dark ends and lighter roots using the hendigo method. Thank heavens: I thought I would have to go back to copious grey, but that would have been a terribly difficult transition! Incidentally, the cut makes the hendigo application so much easier that I may not go back to long.
Cathy125

I just want to add a BIG THANK YOU.... for discovering this.   My color was

getting a little too dark for me and I happened to have some Vit C Powder at home

as I put some in my flavored water during the winter months...  Yea!  

Bought some cheap Suave shampoo and mixed in about 2 heaping tablespoons

of Vit C into about 1/4 cup of shampoo.... Dappled some baking soda on top for extra measure...  Showered and put the mixture into my hair just as I would shampoo and did a light scrub on my scalp.... Covered with a disposable shower cap and then covered with a stocking cap..... and left on for about 1 hour / rinsed and added conditioner - - Rinsed again.   Noticable lighting just after one application and in addition my hair seemed more managable / stylable..  I think my hair had become too healthy with all of the Henna/Indigo/Cassia treatments over the past year and had become thicker / shiny and silky which is great but,

hard to style as it would not hold..  It's not that my hair felt dryer after the treatment or damaged in any way but, definitly has more body...  At any rate,

I will most likley do another treatment in a day or so for more color removal and to let my hair rest a bit.... Also, I want to see if this managabilty sticks..