Loss of Curl

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
mgib415
Loss of Curl

I have been using Henna/Indigo successfully for four years now to cover my grey.  I have curly hair and just recently my they have all gone flat.  After doing research on this site I found out that this is a result of continuous use of Henna.  With additional research I have read that Amla can help restore my curls. 

I added the Amla to my last mix but I am wondering how many applications will it take to bring my curls back????  Is there anything else I can do to help restore my curls??  I really love what Henna has done for my hair; it's stronger, shiny, healthy and gives me peace of mind to not use chemicals but I really love my natural curls and want them back.  

Thanks, Megan

Carrie
Re: Loss of Curl

You can do an amla treatment on its own (not mixed with dyes) for 15-30 minutes. You may find moisturizing treatments helpful in restoring curl as well.

mgib415

Thanks Carrie,

What kind of moisturizing treatments would you recommend?  Also, if I do the Amla seperately; do you have a guestimate of how many applications I would need to restore the curl?  How often should I do the amla treatment?

Sincerely,

Megan

Carrie

You can do a homemade one like Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment (honey, aloe, conditioner) or a commercial one. There are forums especially for curlies where you'll find a boatload of recommendations ... I'm a straight-hair and I use Nexxus Humectress for moisture, but there are probably things curlies love that I don't know about :)

Places you can browse for moisture recommendations:

http://www.curlynikki.com/

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/

You can use amla as often as your hair likes it. You may have improvement with a single use.

curlyjen

Hey Megan,

when you used the amla in your last mix, did you notice any color differences? Did you not see much curl come back the first time?  just curious, i am curly too and have a bag of amla waiting because i've noticed my curls are flattening but i'm afraid to try it cuz i don't want my red to tone down...

mgib415

I put the Amla in my Henna and I let it stand for 12 hours.  Then I added the Indigo and applied the entire mixture.  It did darken my hair and came out more brown.  It is a bit too dark for me but as long as my grey is covered, I'm not too picky. 

I am going to apply the Amla seperately from now on since by itself it is not supposed to change my color.  I have only used it once and my curls have not come back.  So I am hoping with regular application they will come back.  I'll keep you posted. 

Megan

Jen

Yes, but when used alone, like you said, you should't see a color difference. Some people say amla alone darkens their hair, but if that's true its only a temporary effect.

I like cholesterol treatment for moisturizing. Not that I have any curl, but its known for being great moisture for curly hair.

Jackie

My curls have flattened out considerably since I began my henna adventure - going on 2 years now.   For me, I mixing henna + alma the diluted the red.  a lot.

I'm going to add the alma-only treatments & will post if  I see any changes.

Jen

Jackie, just out of curiosity... what was your ratio of henna to amla? Also what liquid did you use to mix. You don't need an acid when you use amla, as it is already acidic. Too much acid can stall or even prevent dye release. 

curlyjen

@ jackie/mgibf415- that's good to know, and i'll keep checking 2 see how the amla only treatments do for you both! I want to know if the volume-shine benefits outweigh possible red-dulling?  notice any dryness?  On the flip side, henna has allowed me to let my hair air-dry with less frizz and it makes my previous tight curls looser, which i like, but i wonder how much more it will change- i've only done 2 apps...

redteddy

Ok I have the same issue.  I had soft natural ringlets and over time I noticed they began to soften and flatten and though I love henna I really didn't like the results it had on my curls at all.  I tried the amla and wasn't really too impressed.  I mean I didn't see much of a change after using it once in a henna mix and another time by itself on my hair.  That being the issue, I have been using henna only on my roots and doing a whole head treatment every three months and this has helped somewhat BUT it hasn't completely restored the original curl. So unless there is a solution to have your original curl and henna loveliness, you have to decide what's more important, if you want to use henna once a month you will find that the curls will be dramatically loose over time.  If you do what I do you will (whole head every three months and only roots once a month) you will find that there is a little more curl and bounce but not as it was so to speak.  

There is another option I am considering which is to only henna the roots every two months (or maybe 6 weeks) and using henna on the whole head every four (or 3 1/2 months) but I haven't gotten around to trying that as yet.  I have some grays and so that keeps me using henna but I think I will try this method and see how it goes.

If anyone has a suggestion as to how to continue using the henna and keeping ones original curls I will be happy to hear it.  

Carrie

You could minimize your henna use. Just use it all over until you get the color you want, then don't henna the length anymore; do roots-only from then on. Seriously, if henna loosens your curl (it doesn't for everyone, but if it does ... ) then every time you put more henna on your hair, you'll loosen the curl more (as well as darkening the color). If you still have color after 3-4 months but the shine has gone away, you could a) use cassia instead of henna for shine on the length or b) just do a dilute henna gloss on the length. Less henna applied = less loosening of curl.

If you can, shift to a less intense application even on your roots - a gloss will give you less color but also loosen curl less. Even a very dilute gloss will give any gray a golden blonde color. Add in some indigo or buxus with the very dilute henna gloss and you'll get a darker blonde to light honey brown color.

Meanwhile, many curlies find their curl will bounce back more if they add moisture back into the hair. Moisture treatments or moisturizing conditioners can help.

jrupdy

I have pretty curly hair and just tried henna for the 1st time just last week.  I used a henna/amla mix and my curls still look great (not crazy about the color though - too orange, not dark enough -but that's another story).

Before henna though my hair was losing some of it's curliness and someone recommended Lorraine Massey's book "Curly Girl".  I followed her advice - no shampoo, no conditioners with "-cones" in the ingredients list (I use a cheap Suave conditioner) and my curls came back and looked great.

Juliette

As a cosmetologist, I'm a bit confused why anyone loses curl.  Natural curl or straightness in hair is due to the shape of the diameter of the hair.  Straight hair is a round diameter shape, whereas the more oval to flat (like a ribbon) is more wavy or curly.  Understanding that henna coats & fills in the hair, it would seem that it still does not change the diameter of your natural hair.  

I recommend the following to upkeep & style NATURAL curls:

- Use GOOD, moisturizing shampoo & conditioner.  I use Alaffia's Shea & Henna Moisturizing shampoo & conditioner.  THe first ingredient IS Lawsonia inermis (henna).  

- Comb out your hair BEFORE rinsing the condtioner out, less tugging after gives more curl.

- After rinsing, start scrunching & squeezing the extra moisture out with your hands, but DON'T pull, tug, or yank at all, just squeeze out the water.

- Use a diffuser to dry curls.  Gently continue scrunching as you dry, I sometimes use pin curl clips to hold curls in place instead of using a dryer at all.

Hope this helps!

Jen

There are two reasons why henna can cause curl loss. The first is very simple. Hair is actually made heavier by build up of henna in hair and the weight of it pulls the curl more loose. The second is a little more complicated. There are bonds between certain keratin molecules linked with disulfide bonds. The more of these bonds the more the hair is pulled over on its self and the tighter the culr. Straighteners break these bonds and let the hair become more straight. Acids in henna applications (I've got NO idea which ones) can also break these bonds just the same way an acid perm can, making hair straighter. The bit I'm missing is why amla can fix it. That part is a mystery to me!

Juliette

Amla fruit contains about 20 times more vitamin C than our usual source, the orange. Collagen helps keep the cells of the body together, improves the condition of hair, nails and skin and renews cell growth & moisture.  This is why it promotes body & curl.  Lack of moisture can make curly hair limp, just as lack of protien.  Finding a balance of the right mositure/protein combination will “nourish” hair more than any treatment.  This includes diet. 

Hair is protein & water.  Layers of keratin "intertwinned" with water in the gaps. Curly hair naturally contains more "gaps" (moisture), but because our hair is also naturally porous, keeping the balance is a difficult task. Hair is about 70% keratin protein leaving 30% water by nature.   So that's generally the balance you want.

beachgirlla

How curly was your hair before?, how many times did you use the henna to lose the curls, this is very interesting to me, I just hate my 3b curls, lol, what type of henna did you use

Thanks a lot

HennaLUV69

I've been using henna for over 15 years, but after using it 5 years straight all of my curls have disappeared! I had beautiful ringlets and I loved it, but henna got rid of them.  I too am happy that my hair is shiny and strong, but I VERY MUCH MISS MY CURLS!!! I can't stop using henna because I'm 80% gray, but to be honest, your curls will not come back unless you stop applying henna to your hair for a long time.  You see, henna penetrates your folicle (not like chemical hair dye which only covers the surface).  Henna is a deep conditioner & it covers your gray entirely.  You must either live with your curless hair or stop using henna.  That's what I'm doing :(

Jora

Hi,

I used to use henna (different brands) for years...I always had really nice curls (and got compliments all the time).  The henna's I used never effected my curls in any way...rather they just gave my hair a nice healthy shine and feel (had zero grays then)!

One day I stopped using it altogether (henna was too time consuming and messy)!

Fast forward...I wanted to get back to henna, found this site, purchased different brands of henna and started using it again.  I found that after 2-3 applications my hair went FLAT!  I'm talking 'Asian Hair' flat!  Not sure what happened.  

I did try Alma, moisturizers, and etc...but nothing brough it back.

I know I'm not a pro. like some of the ladies on this site (Jen, Carrie, etc.) as I only have personal experience to go by...however I can tell you that your curls will not come back using alma, moisturizers, etc.  

I don't use henna as often anymore (once every few months - mostly bcz I've become allergic to henna- massive headaches that last days), and I can assure you that none of my curls are back as of yet.

If you find a solution that you try and works, please share with all of us.

Regards,

Jen

I'm really sorry you've lost your curl! You have my sympathy and I wish I had an answser for you. I have to argue with this comment though: "I can tell you that your curls will never come back using moisturixers, etc." Well, that comment is completely unsupported. Many, many people have revived curl that way, and no one else I've ever talked to in over three years of helping people henna their hair has EVER went from curly to stick straight from using henna. I'm sorry those things didn't help you, but there's no reason to tell others it won't work for them.

maxine32328

FOR CARRIE:

I am a curly girl also and I was wondering if you could post a recipe for the Henna Gloss.

Thanks,

Cynthia Maxine

Carrie

Here is the FAQ about glosses:  http://forums.hennapage.com/node/21

apappas

A slightly acidic rinse (i.e., cider vinegar and water, or lemon juice and water) will help tighten up your curls. Do you have hard water? Hard water is often somewhat alkaline.... I used to have very curly hair; unfortunately as it goes gray it is getting less curly and more fuzzy/frizzy. I've also noticed that if my weight is up my hair gets straighter. Fat produces estrogen-like compounds and the straighter hair is also what happened when I was taking birth control pills. I went off them and my hair started growing in curly again. Ditto losing weight--all it took was about 15 pounds (hard to keep it off, though!).

Question: where are you ladies buying amla? I don't see it for sale on this site....

Thanks!

Andrea

ACWN

Its right under the indigo, rainwash and CMC powder - http://www.mehandi.com/shop/amla/