Is this particular henna powder for real?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
CynDaVaz
Is this particular henna powder for real?
Carrie
Re: Is this particular henna powder for real?

I'm not familiar with it but did a search on Google - there are a number of reviews. It seems there are 2 kinds, one has a lot of other herbs added. It's not as high in dye content as body art quality henna but sounds like it is pure (i.e., just herbs, no unwholesome additives).

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=godrej+nupur+revie...

CynDaVaz

Thanks for your response, Carrie. That makes sense.

stefafolle

I'm not sure if I understand your question but I have just used this yesterday and loved it. The other herbs they added made a difference more than I expected. I usually cannot rinse my hair w/out a tone of conditioner when I Henna my hair and no need for anything else w/this. Awesome product!

kcr

>>The other herbs they added made a difference more than I expected. I usually cannot rinse my hair w/out a tone of conditioner when I Henna my hair and no need for anything else w/this. Awesome product!

Henna does that even without added herbs. ;)

CynDaVaz

"I'm not sure if I understand your question but I have just used this yesterday and loved it."

I was just asking because I've read that not all henna is created equal and some are of substandard quality (with chemicals added). I'm still quite new to this and am trying to gain further understanding and information about the differences between certain henna products.

stefafolle

Than I guess the answer would be "yes, it is for real"!

There are no chemicals but does contain Amla which darkens the hair.

Lori B.
Re: The question of "real"?

I think I understand what you mean, CynDaVaz. I was very surprised to find out that "henna dye" means different things to different people. When I first thought about trying henna I asked about it at a salon. What they use seems to me to be more like a chemical dye with henna as an ingredient. I didn't think it would be any better than any other dye I could buy at the drug store. It was full of all kinds of chemicals that I didn't want on my hair so it would defeat the purpose of trying henna. It made me curious why henna has such a good reputation if it's really just the same thing. I started searching on the internet and found The Henna Page which I am tremendously grateful for. Not only have I learned more useful information on henna I've also learned that it's always a good idea to ask first from people with more experience. If I had gone with the first "henna dye" I saw I would have been very disapointed.

ACWN

There are no chemicals but does contain Amla which darkens the hair.

Just to point out - amla does NOT produce a dye. It mellows out the orange hue of henna (thus "cooling" the color down some), but overall does not make it any more dark or any more brown(ish) after oxidation than it normally would be, if I recall right. And no, you cannot get brown-brown with henna alone.

stefafolle

I think I figured out why my hair got darker (because it really did).

There is also Brahma in the mixt which I just found out today can darken hair.

I am not going to be using this product anymore because I don't really want to go darker but for someone who does it is a great product.

CynDaVaz

So if I added indigo to this henna it would make my hair darker than the usual hendigo mixture would?

Also, how long are you supposed to let this particular brand sit for dye release? The instructions for it on Amazon aren't completley clear, but some of the comments make it sound as if you don't have let it sit for the usual 10-12 hours.

CynDaVaz

Sorry to pester, but ... I'm really curious to find out the answer to my last question. I've ordered the Dark Brunette kit from Mehandi, but I also ordered the henna I've linked to on this thread. At some point, I'd like to use that particular henna and mix it with my leftover indigo from a previous order through Mehandi. Given the fact that this henna has Brahma (which darkens), will mixing indigo make my hair black or will it just darken my brown even more? I'm also not clear as to whether or not this henna will need to sit as long for dye-release.

Maggie

I am really scoffing at the claims made about this product being natural. If it's indigo in the mix then just call it indigo and be honest. Otherwise I am going to remain VERY skeptical that this doesn't have any extra dye *cough* PPD *cough*. And on top of the fact they are only having people leave it sit a couple of hours rather then the usual amount of time. I just don't understand why people can't be patient, sure you could go with a "fast track" dye but then it's not really henna is it? Argh!

Alright my rant is over. *steps down from soapbox*

Carrie

When you use hot water (instead of something cold and acidic) with henna and indigo, dye releases very quickly/immediately. So that alone doesn't tell me it has chemical dye in it. If the instructions said to leave it on for only 30 minutes, THAT would indicate chemical dye in my opinion, because no matter how fast henna releases without an acid, it doesn't get taken up into the hair very completely in 30 minutes (though indigo *can* work that fast).

CynDaVaz, I don't know if brahmi increases the darkening effect of indigo the way amla does. Indigo itself will of course make your hair darker/browner. Whether or not it will make your hair *black* will probably depend on how much indigo you add and how long you leave it on. But all this is speculation, I know nothing about the product in question firsthand. It's a premixed henna and thus off-topic for this forum. You can ask about it on the Long Hair Community forum and probably find more people who've used it.

CynDaVaz

Thanks for the responses. I received the bag a few days ago so I've got it right in front of me. Here's the information about it:

Ingredients (please excuse any possible typos, these words are funky to type!):

Lawsonia inermis leaf posder (Mehendi), Aloe barbadensis leaf powder (Aloe Vera), Azadirachta indica leaf powder (Neem), Centella asiatica leaf extract (Brahmi), Eclipta alba powder (Bhringraj), Emblica officinalis fruit extract (Amla), hibiscus rosasinensis flower powder (Jaswant), Acacia concinna pod powder (Shikakai), Nardostachys jatamansi rhizome powder (jatamansi), Trigonella foenum-graecum seed powder (Methi)

Instructions

Soak Nupur Mehendi in water for 2-3 hours. You may add curd/oil for extra softness. Apply paste evenly from root to tip of hair. Leave for 3-4 hours. Rinse thoroughly with water.

Indigo is not listed as an ingredient - brahmi is supposed to be the darkening agent. I've never heard of this and wasn't sure how it would react with the indigo I've got.

Jen

There's still ingredients in there that I'm not familiar with, and I can't advise you on how to use another companies product beyond to tell you to use it ad the directions indicate. I don't know how indigo and brahmi interact.

Henna products that are combined with other ingredients rather than packaged separately are considered off topic for this forum, even if they really are natural.

@Maggie, I'm totally with you on your frustration with the "natural" label on everything anymore. Its become such a blatant BS misnomer that the word is nearly meaningless.

Lori B.

Yes, that is annoying. Some people think "natural" is another word for "safe." There are lots of plants in nature that are deadly. The only way to be truly safe is do our home work and ask lots of questions about the products we use.