swirly henna :(

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nicole
swirly henna :(

I have this issue quite a bit, when I apply henna, it comes out of the cone all swirly, so I can't apply unless I'm directly touching the skin with the cone.  I can't drag the lines or anything either.  It's like if you were to just squeeze it out way too fast, but I don't think that's the problem.  Any tips?  could it be the way my cone is rolled?  I have no idea, I just find it frustrating!

Thanks! 

Jen
Re: swirly henna :(

A few different things can cause this. 

1.   The paste is too thick. Add a bit more liquid.

2.   The paste needs more sugar. This will make it more smooth and flexible.

3.   The tip of the cone is not cut straight or has a little kink or rough spot. Try a rasor blade or something very sharp and cut as straight as possible.

Nicole

Thanks!  I tried adding more liquid, and actually this helped with a few different problems I'd been having.  It still is a bit swirly, and if I add more sugar I'm sure it will never dry.  Is it possible my hole is too small?  I feel like if I cut it any bigger I won't have any precision, but maybe that's just because that's what I'm used to.

Jen

Its possible. Why not try a bigger opening and see if you can't coax some fine lines out of it. 

Keep this in mind: you should be able to get everything from fat lines to very fine lines out of the same cone by changing the pressure on the cone and the speed of your movement. Slow with strong pressure for fat lines. Speed it up and ease up on the pressure and drape lines to make them very fine. Let gravity stretch the line thinner before it reaches the skin.

Having said that, I do like to have cones cut to two different opening sizes when doing complex work, but I think its an important skill to be ABLE to adjust your line with out adjusting the opening.

OR!!! It could be that your paste could still be a little thinner yet! It never hurts to try!

Mani

It is also possible that the tip of your cone is too thick.  I found that I was cutting my cellophane too long, so by the time I had rolled my cone, there were several layers of cello at the tip.  No matter how straight and clean I cut the tip or how thin the paste was, it would get curly coming out because it would hang up on the extra thickness.  Just a thought.

Nicole

Hmm...maybe, I use 9*6 rectangles, like HennaCaravan recommends.  That's what I found the easiest.  Maybe I'll try some triangles from 6" squares or something else!  What do you use for your cones?

Mani

I use florist cellophane cut about 6"x4", just a little bigger than a dollar bill (I like mine a little on the short side).  When I roll the cone, I put my finger down about 3/4 of the way along the edge and roll from there.  If I hold it closer to the middle, it makes a thicker tip.  So, at the very tip of my cone there are maybe two or three layers of cellophane, but around the top and middle there are 4 or 5.  Does that make sense?  I hope so!