Italian Vogue and 'plus size' models

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hennacat
admin
Italian Vogue and 'plus size' models

Italian Vogue has been all over the UK news today because of their use of plus size models - you can see them on the cover here http://www.vogue.it/en/magazine. One of the remarks I heard today was that they could only model lingerie because the couture designers only send tiny sizes to the magazines. Another remark was that they only make tiny sizes because they hang better, and after all they are aspiration - they aren't clothes for ordinary people.

This made me wonder about the skills of the designers - it you can only get your clothes to hang well on size zero figures, what does that say about your skills as a couturist? 

Jen
Re: Italian Vogue and 'plus size' models

And its not like those girls are HEAVY. They're just not meeting the insane expectation of the fashion industry. They're ALMOST normal.

As for comments like "they only make tiny sizes because they hang better, and after all they are aspiration - they aren't clothes for ordinary people," there is the problem! A size zero figure isn't something that people SHOULD aspire for! Size 0 is not a healthy figure! I was one once, and the red cross didn't deem my wieght substantial enough to allow me to give blood. Seriously. I've acquired 30 lbs since then.  I look more like a woman and less like a little boy. My shape suites clothes right off the rack at Macy's better than ever before. (Screw those high end stores/designers. I like being able to by a $40 dress!) And most importantly I FEEL HEALTHIER. Size 0 is unhealthy, just like 200 lbs on a woman my size would be unhealthy.

hennakatrin
admin

I could not find any pics but Triumph had a add-campaign this spring, 'True Curves' probably. That was one of the weirdest things I've seen in adds - instead of having curvy models they used ordinary flat bony 00-size ones and pics have been photoshopped more curvier. Pity I didn't take any pics - we had a over life-size pics on streets were bony-hipped female torso was sloganed - Be more curvy. (And that was not meant to be irnoy).

chrisg

Im a somewhat plus size person and have made a lot of my own clothing for the past 40 years or so myself. The stuff you can buy in the stores or the houte couture simply doesnt fit very well. I agree with the first poster, the designers do not work for people with mature bodies. A simple thing like a larger cup-size throws off any standard design. They just blow it up instead of adjusting it in the right places. Good thing they all dont show Twiggys on the fashion magazines.

BTW why do they always show designs that dont allow for wearing a braw?