this web site selling black "henna"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nev
this web site selling black "henna"
barefootgirl
Re: this web site selling black "henna"

I checked out the site and emailed her asking her what was in her henna.  Here's her reply:

BLACK HENNA KITS, INC.

Dear Donna,

Thank you for your interest in our products. Most people concerned about our ingredients really want to know as to whether we use the chemical additive Para-phenylendiamine in our product. I can well understand your concern. In answer to that question, any black henna product that advertises lasting 2-3 weeks, must have a chemical dye additive. This can consist of para-phenylendiamine, m- phenylendiamine, d-phenyldiamine, with the most prevalent in use being PPD or para-phenylendiamine. Our company uses only cosmetic grade of PPD in our product. These products are used in every permanent hair dye manufactured in the world today. There is no known scientific evidence proving that they are hazardous to your health when used to dye your hair or in a temporary black tattoo.

PPD has gotten a bad rap from numerous web sites and other media who quite frankly have no idea in the world what they are talking about. They misquote, take information out of context, make false claims, deceive through smoke and mirrors, and flat out lie. Meanwhile,everyone should know that a small number of people may develop an allergic reaction (contact dermatitis) from PPD. This, if treated immediately (use of cortisone cream and, if itching occurs, use over the counter Benadryl) will generally resolve the problem. In rare cases, the allergic reaction may require seeing a physician who generally prescribes a stronger steroidal cream. The only problems we have ever seen were from people who told us they didn't treat it promptly. Or they scratched it profusely, irritated it, and then developed a secondary infection. Individuals who have determined they are allergic, should never again get a black henna tattoo, dye their hair, or use other cosmetic products which may contain PPD. The cases pictured online are most likely the worst case scenarios, where the person wasn't told about the possibility of a reaction, didn't treat it, scratched at it and got a secondary infection. We have been doing these in a permanent location in a large mall for more than 2 years. We always tell customers of the possibility of allergic reactions and how it is treated. We have had very few complaints and we apply, conservatively speaking, more than 15,000 Black Henna tattoos a year.

The sites online publish information insinuating that black henna, when applied to the skin, will cause liver and kidney damage, and they also say that it caused death to some children. As far as it causing "death" is concerned, I have read the information that these sites refer to. The one concerning PPD causing "death" refers to a newspaper article where a group of children in Africa were forced to ingest straight PPD. The article does not mention the amount of PPD they were forced to eat or if the PPD was technical grade (used in the manufacture of rubber) or cosmetic grade (which has had carcinogens and other harmful ingredients removed). At any rate, we warn our customers not to eat the henna. The articles referring to "liver and kidney" damage are just as ridiculous. These are pure and simple scare tactics.

You should also be aware that the people who publish these frightening sites all either sell or use "natural" henna. They honestly believe that if they could make "black" henna disappear, they would then get all the business and have no competition. In our experience, we found the majority of people want a temporary tattoo that looks like a real black-work tattoo, not one the color of a freckle. Therefore, if black henna was not available, they would not choose to get a natural, orangish-brown henna tattoo. We used to do both the natural henna and the black. Had we only done the brown, we would have closed long ago. When we used the "natural" henna, we did occasionally see an allergic reaction to it as well. It was a very similar rash.

I don't remember seeing "paraben" on our website, but we do mention PABA.  PABA was an ingredient that used to be in sun screens.  People who are allergic to PABA are usually allergic to PPD as well.

I hope this answers all your questions. If you have any other questions, just e-mail me.

Sincerely,

Elle Christian

Nicole

LOL

I think most henna artists are pretty zen about competition (from what I've seen here anyway).  And even if everything she's saying is true, it doesn't change the fact that it's illegal, so obviously henna artist are not the only ones who see things this way.

The only thing I can respsect is that at least they seem to warn people, and give them instructions should a reaction occur, most poisoners just say, "yeah, it's all natural, and completely safe!"  they either don't know what they are talking about, or outright lie.  This way, at least their clients are making the choice somewhat informed.

Still pretty crooked though.

Again...LOL

Jen

That's their standard, form letter reply. That part that they're missing is that reguarless of how they "feel" its still illeagal.

barefootgirl

And she really never answered my question as to whats actually in it....

Maggie

It would be worth while to write this idiot back and ask her if she means the say that Health Canada would be jealous of competition or to say that Health Canada a government agency doesn't know what they're talking about when they BANNED ALL henna containing ANY PPD. This person is the worst type of all, at least some of the ones who would reply "completely safe" could claim ignorace (although not enough in my eyes it's better), this one is the one who is trying to use smoke and mirrors by trying to sound educated, and knowledgable about what "other" websites have posted. These are the type of people that unsuspecting customers will believe and they are the ones that end up sick or injured. I give this person NO credit whatsoever I think they are far more evil in their practices then most.

And interesting also to see that there was no mention of the woman in Saudi Arabia who died of renal failure after dying her soles with black henna (Davidson & Abdulla). That if I am not mistaken was in a medical journal, but I guess they don't know what they are talking about either. Sometimes I wish I could reach through my screen and punch people in the head.

Seryph

Also I noticed they are in the Bahamas, so most of their customers (if they get as many as they say) are tourists which is why they dont get that many proper complaints.