Old Jamilla?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
WednesdayRowan
Old Jamilla?

Found a  box of Jamilla that has been in the refridgerator probably two years, it does not seem to give much color... is it too old or are my mixing skills off?

Jen
Re: Old Jamilla?

Should be fine, especially if the packet was still sealed.

Some questions though:

Was it in a cellophane packet, or silver foil packet. The one in the foil is much better!

How did you mix it?

Also keep in mind that it takes a day or two for the color to mature. Premixed cones often have cosmetic dyes in them that give dark color right away. If your used to that, it may seem that the color isn't dark enough the frist day or two and the it just POPS like magic.

WednesdayRowan

It was in foil, a recipe I found here (year ago), enough lemon concentrate (realized, was cold from the refrigerator) to make a paste, 1/8 teapoon sugar, 24 hours about 79 degrees, then stirred in 10 drops eucalyptus (to 1 tablespoon henna powder) another 24 hours at same temp.

put it in the refrigerator after that, not home for another 24 didn't want it to over do

did a skin test, today med brown line, not reallydark (but didn't lemon/sugar it, left on for 10 minutes... but some hennas I made a couple years ago made a dark auburn at a few minutes and darkened intesnely after being on a couple minutes... I learned to be careful where I tested it, would wear the test spot for weeks

Give it more time at a warmer temp?

couldn't find my original recipe... also from hennapage year ago

LadyTJ

It sounds like you left it out for a total of 48 hrs for dye release. Most Jamila paste I have made have only needed  24 hrs @ the max for temps of 79-85. Maybe you left it to long.  

Try just mixing everything at the same time and only leave it for 24 hrs Max at that temp and see what you get for results.  

estavash

I agree, 48 hours is much too long.  My experience with Jamila is with Celebration, and I got the best results by mixing everything together at once and checking for dye release after as little as 6 hours in the summer heat.  At around 80 degrees, I was getting full dye release in around 8-10 hours.

A few months ago I began fretting about how so many of the online instructions seemed to recommend waiting 16-24 hours for dye release at room temperature, and it made me think that maybe I was reading the signs wrong, and that I would get even better color if I followed the directions, mixed it in two stages, and let the henna sit twice as long as I had been doing.  Well, the extra time really did kill the stain, both for the Jamila and for some 2010 Rajastani that I've been using lately.   So I went back to the old way... mix it all at once, and when the surface has darkened and bits of dark liquid have seeped up around the plastic at the edge of the bowl, stir it, test it, and cone it up.   You can also place a paper towel on top of the plastic wrap and place a small weight on top... when you pick up the paper towel and it has a distinct orange hue, the henna is ready.

Here's an example of some jamila that I coned up after about 8 hours on a warm fall day...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellenshenna/5252457864

One other thing... you may have better luck using tea tree or cajeput oil for your terp instead of eucalyptus, since some varieties of eucalyptus have little or no effect on the stain.  Still, I suspect that the main problem is the length of time you're leaving it out.

Good luck,

Ellen

WednesdayRowan

Estavash... Thank you, will try, and, your work is amazing!

Nicole

Was your henna always stored in the fridge?  Maybe the box was left out in the heat at some point.  Other than that, I think the other suggestions are worth testing.

WednesdayRowan

I'll give it a try with those adjustments, thank you

I do have cajeput, allergic to tea tree (one of few allergies, makes me cautious about using it on customers)

it never did get the dark sheen on the top i remember having in the past, now you say it, seems my old recipe did have everything mixed at one and that I did not have to wait two days for dye release

it was always in the refrigerator, ended up in the back and I forgot it was there

reflects poorly on my house keeping ;-)

Mani

Also, it will take up to 3 days for the stain to fully mature on the skin.  If you got a medium brown after leaving the paste on for just a few minutes for your test in the first day, you may well have a decent stain 3 days later. 

WednesdayRowan

;-) you are right ;-)

I went ahead with it last night (had planned to mix more, forgot), looks pretty good this afternoon

I remember some I had mixed some years ago (been years since I've done any henna) that left a bright red line in a few minutes and darkened to nearly maroon in no time

This batch has not done that, but looks pretty good... 

http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/wendynailart/Henna/?action=view&current=DSCN6300.jpg&newest=1